You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 14, 2017, 04:32:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Peri's Garden Blog is Back!  (Read 11402 times)

Online Ket

Re: Peri's Garden Blog is Back!
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
*gives Oreo alllll the beets* That is just not a flavor I've been able to find enjoyment in. Turnips either.

Speaking of turnips, when I was in my late teens, me, my mom, and my dad went to dinner at my grandmother's one night. There was a small bowl of what looked like mashed potatoes on the table, and we were slightly perplexed because my Gramz always made big bowls of potatoes. So my dad takes this huge spoonful, and I happen to notice a smirk on my Gramz's face when he does it, so I pass on the potatoes.

Dad takes a big bite, barely chokes it down. It's mashed turnips. Sneaky grandma is sneaky.

Offline Oreo

• Centurion ~Clotho~ ~ALWAYS HUGGABLE~ Doddering Ailurophile ^_^
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • You little rebel...I like you.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
I love all my root veggies, beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, and celeriac. ;D I just don't have room to grow them all anymore. I like the beets because the leaves are more tender and sweet than chard.

Offline PeripherieTopic starter

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
First lettuce harvest today! So crisp and tasty.

Which led to this amazeballs salad (sadly the other produce was store bought because the rest of my plants aren't producing yet)

Of course, herbs are growing nicely too...

Which meant fresh seasoning on the steaks!

I need a bigger garden!

That steak and salad looks amazing *wants dinner at Ket's house*

I'll bring some Eggplant! Lookie:

What types of lettuce do you grow? My SO has some type of greens growing but I think he chooses what to plant based on what has a cool sounding name and not what would taste the best. :P

Online Ket

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
I planted mesclun mix, which was super duper easy because all I had to do was lay down the seed tapes and cover with a tiny bit of dirt, then keep watered.

Offline PeripherieTopic starter

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2017, 01:38:46 AM »
Seed tape? Genuis!

Online Ket

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »
Mesclun mix grows back fast! I harvested it all just 5 days ago, and today I had enough to make another whole salad. Only took what I needed for sammiches though. I enjoy lettuce and salads, but I've always shied away from buying it in the store because it goes bad so darn quick and is never as crisp as I like it to be (except romaine). Having fresh lettuces available though...OMG the yum!

Offline Lynnie

• Kiric's prized treasure, Dungeon's Kitty, The little special one.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Soft Kitty Warm Kitty Little Ball of Fur
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
I plan on the new place since I will have a lovely fenced in patio to make a small little garden. I long for the day that I can buy a house and get a nice garden going.

I am hoping I can plant, lettuce, potatoes, herbs, green beans, and peas.

Online Ket

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
Green beans and tomatoes will begin harvesting this week! Oddly enough, I have found more sunflowers that have taken over other pots. My squash plants are vining out and hugging each other, and the bean plant that I thought was pole beans are evidently bush beans, and is huge. Click for larger images

Offline Oreo

• Centurion ~Clotho~ ~ALWAYS HUGGABLE~ Doddering Ailurophile ^_^
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • You little rebel...I like you.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
Yay yummy! I am getting about one tomato a day and all the herbs I could want. ;D The cucumbers are coming along but not as fast as I would like.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »
There are at least two people between my house and the market that 'forget' to clean up the pumpkins that they put out (painted, not carved) for Halloween.  I know this because every year these thick vines with huge leaves come up in the tree-boxes along the sidewalk, and eventually get removed.

Online Ket

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
That particular tomato plant is the cherry tomatoes. There are about four or five good clumps like that. Add in that my lettuce has grown back completely, and I'll be picking fresh salads for myself for lunch all next week!.

My zukes still haven't started, they have all flowered and wilted, so I should be getting fruit soon. Heck, one of the plants still has buds forming. I'm going to be doing a lot of blanching and freezing of squash in a few weeks.

Oni - it's a shame they don't just let them grow and harvest the pumpkins. Such a waste.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:06 AM »
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's the family or the city that's cutting it back.  I'll see if I can get a photo of one of the 'tree boxes' that I'm talking about tomorrow to show why it might not be a great idea to have gourds growing there.

Online Ket

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »
Fresh green beans with dinner tonight? Yes, please!

Online Ket

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »
Greens grow so fast! Getting about one large salad a week out of this one pot of lettuce. Guessing next year I'll plant some rows in stages so that I can harvest nearly every day. OMG fresh salad for lunch everyday...nomnomnom.

Also, sunflowers will be blooming soon! These are my escapee sunflowers that somehow managed up in my beans and greens. Guess my veggies needed some decoration!

Click for bigger images

Offline TheAnonymousBook

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 01:45:29 AM »
Wow I love this thread! It's so fun seeing your gardening adventures. I am a sucker for gardening, especially herbs, vegetables, and fruits. Though I love me my flowers too. You're plants are looking lovely I hop the rest of the summer goes well!!

Offline Lynnie

• Kiric's prized treasure, Dungeon's Kitty, The little special one.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Soft Kitty Warm Kitty Little Ball of Fur
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Wow this has gotten quiet, did everyone's garden's die or something? I have been taking so many notes from this thread to start my own small patio garden in the spring.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
My camera did - the feral tomatoes did reasonably well this year, so I'm hoping they return.