You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 12:43:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Suggestion: A/A & O/O Links  (Read 542 times)

Offline Ember StarTopic starter

Suggestion: A/A & O/O Links
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
This is merely a suggestion of something that might or might not help improve the site. Feel free to disregard if its stupid ^_^

As many of you know you can turn avatars and signatures off so you do not see them at all. I have known a few people who keep them off for various reasons. The signature part can be rather unfortunate since most of us link A/A and O/O threads there. With consistent complaints of "they didn't read my O/O" or "why does nobody ever read my A/A" I begin to wonder if this feature might be part of the issue there.

My suggestion is that a none signature way to link these threads be added to the profile. Something like how the IM links work, maybe? That way they are visible to everybody whenever they look at your profile or the user block next to every post.

Offline RedPhoenix

Re: Suggestion: A/A & O/O Links
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
You can put a link to it in your roleplay preferences. :)

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
That isn't such a bad idea.  You might want to post it in the CMS request thread.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
You can put a link to it in your roleplay preferences. :)
Yeah, but not everybody uses RPP. So that's not the most visible place either.
That isn't such a bad idea.  You might want to post it in the CMS request thread.
Thanks! I will :)

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »
I was just fiddling with my profile and saw y'all added this! Thank you so much! It looks great! And is good timing since I just had to rearrange and remove my personal thread badges out of my signature to make room for other things *giggle*

Online Vekseid

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
I can make any number of them, but thought to start with one and see what people thought. : )

To avoid confusion, this one may end up getting baleeted if I add one for A&As/Personal Threads and such.

Offline Hera

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
Can I just say that I love this?  I think it'd be fantastic to have O/O and A/A dedicated ones!

Offline Geraint

• Propigator of Plot Bunnies, RomanceCrack Dealer and Sireneous Wayword Muse Also Accused Plot Demon Breeder of Plotweilers ...
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
Just one works fine for me. :D  Nice addition!

Offline Haibane

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
I'm not seeing these links. Where do they appear?

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »
I'm not seeing these links. Where do they appear?
Under "view my rolls" it says "my thread" it only appears if you have it set

Offline Caeli

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
It is currently located directly above the PM/Profile/IM icons, and below the links for "My Role Play Preferences" and "View My Rolls".

The link reads "My Thread", but I believe it only shows up if you filled in that space in your profile settings.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
I must be doing something wrong. I still see nothing. How do I enable it in my profile?

Something this useful should be announced. Might an e-mail to the site membership be the best way?

Offline Caeli

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
After you add a URL, look at your "mini-profile/profile summary" next to a post in the forum (as opposed to your profile page, which you have a screenshot of above).

You can add a thread here, in the forum profile section under 'modify profile'.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
Ah, I see it now. Thanks. It would be cool to have this new feature announced though. Are such things announced somewhere?

Offline Caeli

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I think Veks might be testing it for the moment, but it hasn't officially been rolled out.  I think the idea was that eventually there will be two fields for the A&As and (thread) O&Os.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
Yeah, that's what he said.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
I don't see a need for an O/Os link as its easy to find by simply looking in the O/Os forum. I plonked my 1-on-1 RP ideas thread there. To me that seems to be the best use of that link.

Thanks for mentioning this anyway, it's very useful.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
Not everybody uses the grid O/O which is why I suggested it. Or to link a A/A thread. Idea thread works too. For me I linked my O/O which links to my A/A. Don't have an idea thread at the moment.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
I didn't mean the grid/matrix O/O. I find that completely souless and useless. I meant the O/Os thread. A person's post is still easy to find in there, you just sort the threads into alphabetical order by poster and go to the one you want.

Offline Caeli

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
It's a pretty easy process, but trying to find someone in the middle of the alphabet is a bit of a drag if you don't make a good guess about which page they're on, etc. I think it would be convenient/nice to have a link available for that. :-)

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
Plus, not everybody knows you can do that. Or is gonna go to that trouble. Going to the section and searching the person's user name would be easier to me, but again, not everybody knows about that function. Nor does everybody put their exact user name in the thread. Which could make either of those ways essentially impossible.  I use the signature links myself, but I've run into people not knowing about or seeing those. There's also issues with things showing properly if you mix text and pictures. Which is why I just have pictures. But I'm only allowed five :0