What have you kinda sorta maybe thought about quitting lately?

Started by Stardusk, February 07, 2023, 02:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stardusk

For me: two things. The first is my smartphone. The second is cigarettes.

Phone before the smokes, eh? Yup. The damn phone is a trigger that makes me want to smoke, is why. It's a nightmare rectangle where you can just watch people eat each other alive in real time whenever, wherever. I've taken strides against the phone by NOT bringing it to work with me for a week, which was kind of hilarious. I'm a Stephen King fanatic and he writes in his book 11.22.63 that "the past fights back" which basically means that the very world around the main character is working against him to keep him struggling, just because he's there, and quitting the smokes and the phone at the same time kind of feels the same way. It's just all going wrong.

I keep dropping things, metaphorically and literally. I was almost in a car accident yesterday. I had a dream, a DREAM-a thing that is supposed to be glorious and unbridled and profane-that I was scrolling Twitter on my thrice-damned phone. I'm up right now at like 4am making a post here. I have the hiccups all the time. I keep reaching for my phone even though I put it in the junk drawer all the way in the kitchen. I have a godforsaken Elf Bar, strawberry icecream flavored, right here on my desk "in case I need it" which basically means puffing on it at least once every half hour or so. If I could go back in time and punch my freshman college self in the face when she thought just trying a cigarette would be the bee's knees, I would. I'd grind her face into the sidewalk.

It's not a good time, y'all, and that's for real. But I keep telling myself that I've kicked worse things than this. And I have. And I can. And I will.

What are you trying to break away from? How's it going for you?

persephone325

The internet. lol

Seriously, though. I've watched videos and read studies about how every once in a while (I forget how often) doctors say you should just completely stop using the internet. Or your computer, phone, tablet, etc. I can't remember if the TV was mentioned, but I'm sure it's included in some recommendations.

I think over the past few years, the internet has become more of a detriment to society than it has been helpful. People are so quick to get into fights about anything and everything. I think it's made us less tolerant of each other over time.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

CaptainErotica

My job.

I have been at my company for eight years. At first I had no experience and was happy to have the chance to prove myself. Within six months I had my SSHO/Safety Officer certifications and within a year was basically running a multimillion project by myself, even though I was the safety Officer and not the CQM/PM. After four years I asked for a raise and was told by my boss that I had not done anything to earn it.

Shortly after I got transferred and was told that if I agreed to work in Sasebo (southern Japan) I would not only get a pay raise but 6000Yen (about $50)/day Per-Diem. It would mean living away from my family and only seeing them for a day or so every couple of months, but I said yes. Again, outside of the normal issues that all construction projects endure, I succeeded.

They then asked me to go to Misawa (Northern Japan). Same deal as Sasebo without the pay raise. I'm still in Misawa which is the 4th snowiest city on the planet. I see my family about ten days out of the year. The project I'm on now is to renovate the base dental clinic. Out of a team of fifteen people, I am one of three Americans. The rest are Philipino with a few Japanese. I'm the only Safety Officer currently and expected to be on-site any time the workers are there. The project has not gone well, mostly due to the actions of the government QA guy being a dick. Now they are planning to go to days and nights. Not sure how that will work since I have to be on-site at all times.

I want to demand another raise and if they say no I'm seriously considering looking for a new career at 48 years old, not a fun prospect. But I am burnt out and tired of not being with my family.

Merry Gentry

The gym - I haven't been in months and have a free gym at my work that I can use 24/7 if I want to.  Since I'm there 8 hrs a day anyway, why pay for the gym I've barely used lately!
“And I’d give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be and I don’t wanna go home right now.”

persephone325

Quote from: Merry Gentry on April 06, 2023, 06:51:41 PM
The gym - I haven't been in months and have a free gym at my work that I can use 24/7 if I want to.  Since I'm there 8 hrs a day anyway, why pay for the gym I've barely used lately!

That's quite a nice perk!
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Merry Gentry

I haven't been as much as I would like to, but getting back into the habit now that spring is here is a must!
“And I’d give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be and I don’t wanna go home right now.”

persephone325

Quote from: Merry Gentry on April 06, 2023, 07:16:47 PM
I haven't been as much as I would like to, but getting back into the habit now that spring is here is a must!

I agree. Though it's hard to find the motivation, sometimes. At least for me. I know that after I work out, I usually feel better. It's just getting the energy and will to want to push through the fog to get it done.
I don't know.

Merry Gentry

Sugar!  It's been a challenge this week, but I'm 5 days in and NO candy/sweets/sugar/ice cream..  I realized that when I was stressed out I reached for sugar and it's not good to just eat a bunch of M&M's or 3 mini milky ways, etc.  So I've made a conscious effort to avoid sweets.  So I quit sugar!

Lady Shadow

Sweets for sure. I have diabetes now which I never had before. It's for my health, I should know better instead of eating all this ice cream.
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

Silvered Sutures

Cigarettes. I've been gradually lessening my intake from 3 packs a day through college to half a pack a day now, but it seems to have stagnated there. I'm just too stressed out without them to deal with life appropriately.
My O/O Thread
Discord handle; Silvered Sutures

Merry Gentry

Quote from: Merry Gentry on May 04, 2023, 06:36:56 PM
Sugar!  It's been a challenge this week, but I'm 5 days in and NO candy/sweets/sugar/ice cream..  I realized that when I was stressed out I reached for sugar and it's not good to just eat a bunch of M&M's or 3 mini milky ways, etc.  So I've made a conscious effort to avoid sweets.  So I quit sugar!

Over a month now and still No Sugar!  I'm glad I gave it up, now n then I really want some chocolate but not doing it.  There's enough sugar in everyday things that I don't need to add more into my diet.