Previous topic - Next topic

ZameRagues

Str 8
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 13 or 10
Wis 15
Cha 13 or 10

I'd go with this, and choose an Elf with any of the Sub races (The sub race bonuses you get as well)

Elf +2 Dex
- High Elf +1 Int, 1 wizard Cantrip
- Wood Elf +1 Wis, Base speed is 35
- Drow +1 Cha, Drow Magic

Each one is fun I think. Wood Elf would make your spells a little stronger with a WIS 16, and a DEX 14 you'd be better at throwing weapons along with the +2 to AC.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:37:08 AM
Str 8
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 13 or 10
Wis 15
Cha 13 or 10

I'd go with this, and choose an Elf with any of the Sub races (The sub race bonuses you get as well)

Elf +2 Dex
- High Elf +1 Int, 1 wizard Cantrip
- Wood Elf +1 Wis, Base speed is 35
- Drow +1 Cha, Drow Magic

Each one is fun I think. Wood Elf would make your spells a little stronger with a WIS 16, and a DEX 14 you'd be better at throwing weapons along with the +2 to AC.

I'll go with Wood Elf.

And when you say "13 or 10", does it mean "if you pick 10 for this one, pick 13 for the other" and vice-versa?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

ZameRagues

It's what I'm here for.

Half the reason I chose to play paladin, to protect and help the newbies.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:45:17 AM
It's what I'm here for.

Half the reason I chose to play paladin, to protect and help the newbies.

An experienced player with a heart! How rare!! <3 lol

Seriously, though. I've been in a game or two where the more experienced players were like "Fuck you, noobies... Ruining everything."
I don't know.

ZameRagues

As a player/GM my philosophy is "Family first, then fun". So ragging on new playing for taking care of something outside of the game or for not knowing things is just not allowed.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:50:14 AM
As a player/GM my philosophy is "Family first, then fun". So ragging on new playing for taking care of something outside of the game or for not knowing things is just not allowed.

There need to be more GMs and players with that mindset.
I don't know.

ZameRagues

Quote from: persephone325 on October 06, 2017, 01:54:50 AM
There need to be more GMs and players with that mindset.
I agree. It's a game, not life.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:55:45 AM
I agree. It's a game, not life.

And it's supposed to be fun!! :D That's the whole reason people play. ^^
I don't know.

Dashenka

Just to let you all know I'm really game for this... Just at a bit of a loss as to where to start with the character sheet :D
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

ZameRagues

What kind of character do you want to play? A sneaky one? A knight in armor? Wild Magic user? A charismatic talker? Just come up with an idea of a kind of character you want to play then we can create a sheet from there.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Dashenka

I'd like a bit of a rogue type. Slightly naive and childish but a good fighter.

ZameRagues

Which seems more appealing then? A Rogue who can sneak around, is good with skills and can deal a decent amount of damage or a Fighter who can usually hold their own in combat and can use a wider variety of methods to fight? Rogue or Fighter, which sounds interesting?
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Dashenka

Well rogue sounds more interesting but which is more noob friendly? :)

ZameRagues

With a good GM and help from other players, they both are. There is a little more to Rogue than Fighter, but I'm confident we can help.

Edit - Rogue is also the class I first played with back when I started Dnd
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Dashenka

ZameRagues

Alright, Rogue it is. You'll be a Dex based fighter

There are a couple different styles of Rogues you can play. Dexterity is your main stat and what you will fight with. Would you prefer to play a smart investigative thief that can find traps and stealth around enemies, or more of a face who can lie to people can coerce them to your desire?

Stats so far
Str -
Dex 15
Con -
Int -
Wis -
Cha -

15 14 13 12 10 8
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Dragongoddess

Could anyone give me a full list of classes available to play?  I'm familiar with some classes as I have played a bunch of RPGs but I want to have the full list to choose from.

ZameRagues

From the basic rules that Lyku has provided

Cleric
Fighter
Rogue
Wizard

The full list though from the full Player's Handbook

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Dragongoddess

Could you also tell me what each one does like whether they are magic users, dps (that's all I know what to call it), both, etc.?

ZameRagues

Barbarian
    A tank class that often wields large heavy hitting weapons, they have a lot of hit points and consistent physical damage. Rage is their primary resource, flying into a rage they deal more damage and become resistant to piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage. They are big health pools, with big weapons and often no armor.

Bard
    The charismatic support class with the power to hold their own. Weaving magic through story and song, they use a sharp wit and a sharp tongue to traverse the world. Inspiration is their resource, grant a bonus to their party members to try and aid their actions both in and out of combat. They are primarily caster of arcane magic.

Cleric
    An incredibly diverse class, they wield divine magic with a big weapon. Another tank they don heavy armor and deal just as much damage as they can heal through divinity. They are a melee class in armor that can use support, healing, and damaging magic. Their resource is Channel Divinity, it's effect varying from destroying the undead to granting knowledge and much more.

Druid
    Master of nature they use Wild Shape as their resource. Capable of transforming into beasts of many kinds they also wield divine magic. Harnessing both destructive and healing magic, they can also be on the front line with their beast shapes.

Fighter
    Thought of as a cookie cutter character, the fighter is your weapon in hand warrior. Though they can wield little magic later on, they can utilize nearly every weapon you can think of and can be the most diverse and well prepared non-magical damage dealer.

Monk
    A technician of the fist, the monk utilizes Ki points. A swift fighter known for landing multiple strikes in a single round and gaining magical abilities once you choose an archetype. They are nimble and present for damage.

Paladin
    This is the holy fighter. With god in hand they bare armor and shield supporting their comrades with a holy aura. They also utilize Channel Divinity much like the cleric. Divine magic at their back they call down the wrath of god with Smite as their resource.

Ranger
    Here is your nature loving warrior, either specializing in the hunt or befriending an animal ally, the Ranger is handy with blade or bow. They deal devastating physical damage with nature magic to back them up

Rogue
    The shadow walker, cut throat, pickpocket, assassin. This is the knife in the back, major damage in the correct circumstance sell sword. Wielding light and finesse weapons such as daggers and the rapier, they sneak through combat keeping an eye out for traps and locks. Sneak Attack is not a resource but their damage dealer.

Sorcerer
    All arcane magic comes from somewhere. The Sorcerer often finding it within with devastatingly glorious effect. Kept in the back line, they can obliterate the enemy with powerful arcane spells.

Warlock
    The arcane caster that has asked for help. They make a pact with a thing, not always knowing what or who, the Warlock draws it's power from a willing entity that has shared it's own power. Often wielding darker magic they can stand along side Sorcerers in power and position.

Wizard
    Here is the pure knowledge seeker, accruing spell after spell, they cast arcane magic from a tome. Utilizing material components they cast some of the most powerful spells in existence, at a price though, they must rely on their team to protect them so they can cast their devastating magic.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

SINless

Barbarian. In fifth edition, the ultimate tank as well as decent damage. Can from level three halve all incoming physical damage if you choose the right totem animal. (Bear, usually)
Bard. Jack of all trades, master of insults. Can do a bit of magic, a bit of stealth, and a bit of fighting. Is primarily good at buffing and debuffing.
Cleric. Depending on your god, either a healer, or a massive damage dealer. Sadly, everyone always expects you to heal.
Druid. Hippie, uncultured and not exactly the best at magic. Can use shapeshift at higher levels, which if used correctly, makes one virtually indestructable.
Fighter High DPS, or tankity tank. If you played WoW the warrior from there is basically what you're looking at.
Monk Martial Artist, think Jet Li or Jackie chan, mixed with every Bad american trope about eastern philosophy.
Paladin Knight in Shining armour, Vanquisher of evil, saviour of the innocent. Can deal more damage to evil people, can also heal a bit. Really good vs Demons and Undead.
Ranger Fancy being Robin Hood? This is your class. Tracking, survival and very good fighting skill. Can become extremely strong in their chosen environment and against a chosen enemy species/type.
Rogue Thieves, assassins con men. The rogue uses stealth and guile to defeat their foes. Can do massive damage if able to exploit weak points. Also good at finding traps and opening locks.
Sorcerer Want to cast magic without a cumbersome spellbook? Sorcerers have more powerful magical abilities, but a much lesser selection of spells, making them less versatile and adaptable than Wizards.
Warlock Casting magic while still wearing armour? Very high DPS, but some nasty drawbacks, also you need to honor a pact with a being, which might involve nasty stuff. (and I don't mean E-nasty. Although, if the DM is willing)
Wizard Battlefield controller? Uber DPS? debuffing your enemies? Wizard is the most versatile spellcaster. For uber goodness, become Elf, and max your dex as well as Int. Bladesingers can run into the frontline using magic and melee to wreak havoc on their enemy. If the Eladrin elf (DMG) is allowed, your party no longer needs tanks.

Lyku

I apologize I haven't been able to check this much as my home time was busy yesterday.  I saw some posts and wished to make sure to clarify some information.

First off, just for interested parties, this is not the recruitment thread.  The original recruitment thread was Priapus89's thread of DND for Noobs (Like Me).  As such, recruitment is actually closed as we have 8 players who were given the okay, and though it pushes a bit past my usual capacity, we have three experienced players who have been helping out.

So first, to avoid confusion... the players for this game are the following:

Priapus89 (New Player)
Dashenka (New Player)
Dragongoddess (New Player)
Vergil1989(New Player)
Persephone325 (New Player)
Muse (Experienced Player)
ZameRagues (Experienced Player)
SINless (Experienced Player)

The goal of this campaign is both to have fun and to help some new faces to the DND 5e scene. 

The game itself will be run following the rules of Wizards of the Coast's Adventure League rules.  This means for character creation, all players are technically permitted to use the main players hand book and one additional Wizards of the Coast sanctioned book for character creation.  For newer players, I recommend restricting solely to the players handbook as it can be less overwhelming.

As a note for all players, especially the new ones... as a DM... I am the type of individual who will adjust the adventure to work with the players.  I know there have been some individuals worried about what to play as they want to make sure it helps optimize the parties composition.  Just make sure you enjoy what you are playing.  That is the most important.  This module is the first one created for 5e, so it is made to help reinforce many of the game mechanics.

For those that are not aware, there are six core attributes for a character.  I believe you all have the character sheets from Myth-Weavers.  I always recommend that site as it allows information to be updated easier and as a DM, it does allow me to view it as well, which can be useful when trying to help teach a new system.

With those six stats, you can either choose to take the preset number array and assign the scores to different attributes of your choosing (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) OR you can use the point buy system.  For the second system, you have 27 points to work with.

A score of 8 costs 0 points.
A score of 9 costs 1 point.
A score of 10 costs 2 points.
A score of 11 costs 3 points.
A score of 12 costs 4 points.
A score of 13 costs 5 points.
A score of 14 costs 7 points.
A score of 15 costs 9 points.

Now... without Magic (Or without being a max level barbarian), the maximum a state can be without magic is 20.  With magic, the maximum is 30.

A score of 10 is considered average, so an NPC (Nonplayer Character) human would probably have 10 in all stats.

This is a Link Regarding Attribute Information.

Now, something about edition compared to previous editions is that when you pick a class (For example Rogue), when you get to the proper level, you pick a subclass.  Some classes do this at level 1, others do this at higher levels.  Almost every class has a subclass that could cast some sort of magic if you wanted to go that route. (Except Barbarians... dont feel bad for them... they do physical stuff like a boss.)

Now... reviewing the class breakdowns... I am more supportive of Zame's descriptions a bit more.  Bards are considered Jack of All Trades... and in this edition, it is arguably the most powerful class in the game. 

Druids are strong magic users, but the class does have some strong restrictions.  An example of a restriction is they can wear any light or medium armor (There are three types of Armor, the last being heavy), and they can also use shields.  HOWEVER, they have a drawback that any of those that they wear CAN NOT be made of metal.  So it does require time to find magical properties that accommodate these and it isn't always easy.

A big difference between Sorcerers and Wizards is that Wizards can get a large amount of different spells that they can cast.  Sorcerers know less spells than a wizard, but can cast the spells that he or she knows more frequently.

Likewise... Warlocks are much more limited with their spells, however, they recover their spells significantly faster than other classes.

Paladins are good for party support.  They also smite things... and smite is pretty strong, though using it spends spells for the day.

Fighters do have a subclass that can cast some spells (Called Eldritch Knight) and Rogues have a subclass as well (Arcane Tricksters).
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Dragongoddess

Okay using these I have a better idea of classes I might be interested in.  If there are any experienced players willing to help me create a character, please let me know here so I can PM you.  I'm so inexperienced that I know after seeing the character sheet better that I'm going to need a LOT of help.  So much so that I believe it would be better for the rest of the group if I took my getting help to PMs from here.