News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Does anyone play TTRPGs other than D&D/Pathfinder?

Started by IsabellaRose, September 12, 2023, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsabellaRose

I love tabletop roleplaying games.

I'm sick to death of the exhaustingly long combat of D&D. I've read and played a few other games, and it turns out I'm a fan of systems that support narrative and relationships rather than combat. So clearly, D&D isn't my favorite game.

I've played several old versions of D&D (Basic, Advanced, 3e, 3.5e, and 5e), Star Frontiers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness (and several other Palladium games), Call of Cthulhu, Traveler, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Pathfinder 1e, a couple homemade Fate games, Smallville, Mutants & Masterminds, Chaosium Basic Roleplaying, Fiasco, Dresden Files, Fantasy Flight's Star Wars, Microscope, Dungeon World, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

I love Cortex, specifically the Cortex Drama flavor from Smallville, and various versions of it in the Cortex Hacker's Guide. I love Cortex Prime, and I'd love to build some custom Primed by Cortex games, but sadly, I'm having a hard time putting together another group locally that wants to play other systems as anything more than a one shot between D&D campaigns.

Does anyone else enjoy TTRPGs other than D&D? What do you play?

Yori

It's been a while since I've been able to devote the time to actually sitting around a table playing, but I've played D&D (Basic, Advanced, 2e, 3e, 3.5e), Paranoia (love the setting), Gamma World, Rifts, Shadowrun, World of Darkness (Vamp, Werewolf, Mage), 007, Champions, Traveler, Firefly, BSEM, Ninja Burger, and a few others that I know I have forgotten.

I'm a big fan of the Champions ruleset because of the flexibility it has. Combat isn't super crunchy, and tends to go faster than D&D, but not as fast as many of the White Wolf games where things tend to boil down to damage dice vs defense dice (though I have seen arguments over how many of each there should be) {I think it was White Wolf/World of Darkness, but I could be mistaken}.

MightyMaiden

I've actually never played Pathfinder, and haven't played D&D since 2ed.

If you're going to make me play fantasy, I want Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, for Comedy, Paranoia, for Superheroes, I generally play Masks, but I've got nothing against Villains and Vigilantes, Prowlers and Paragons, Icons, Mutants and Masterminds(3ed) and others.. (I have ~75 different supers RPGs, it's not a problem, it's a COLLECTION!) Shout out to 'Fallen Heroine Lewd Game System' which I'm playing in right now on Discord

I've played Hydro Hackers, Iron Edda, and would love to get into a game of World Wide Wrestling, also keen to try out Blades in the Dark

I used to play Cyberpunk, Star Trek(FASA) and probably others I'm forgetting.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Yori on September 13, 2023, 12:02:19 AM
I'm a big fan of the Champions ruleset because of the flexibility it has. Combat isn't super crunchy, and tends to go faster than D&D, but not as fast as many of the White Wolf games where things tend to boil down to damage dice vs defense dice (though I have seen arguments over how many of each there should be) {I think it was White Wolf/World of Darkness, but I could be mistaken}.

I love games with quicker combat. D&D combat is what turned me off the the game. If I'm going to use minis and a map and play combat that last more than half the session, I'll go all in and just play a wargame.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: MightyMaiden on September 13, 2023, 11:01:22 AM
for Superheroes, I generally play Masks, but I've got nothing against Villains and Vigilantes, Prowlers and Paragons, Icons, Mutants and Masterminds(3ed) and others.. (I have ~75 different supers RPGs, it's not a problem, it's a COLLECTION!) Shout out to 'Fallen Heroine Lewd Game System' which I'm playing in right now on Discord

I LOVE superheroes games, but it's a niche in the gaming communities nearby, so I rarely get to play unless I find an online game, or if I want to play canon MCU characters and listen to guys argue whether comic or MCU version of characters are better, which gets boring real quick.

MightyMaiden

Quote from: IsabellaRose on September 14, 2023, 10:57:25 AM
listen to guys argue whether comic or MCU version of characters are better, which gets boring real quick.
So true!!

There's a reason I avoid most canon super games, and not just the recent Marvel 616 game (which is a glorified miniature skirmish game not RPG)

Yori

Quote from: IsabellaRose on September 14, 2023, 10:55:09 AM
I love games with quicker combat. D&D combat is what turned me off the the game. If I'm going to use minis and a map and play combat that last more than half the session, I'll go all in and just play a wargame.

The hardest parts with Champions is creating your character sheet as a player and creating a challenging opponent as the GM.

The framework allows for comparable strength using any special effect you want. Want to have a giant Mecha? You can build that. And it will be comparable to a superhero with similar build points.

I'm a big fan of supers as well, but as you said, even good PBEM games are hard to find.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Yori on September 14, 2023, 01:08:30 PM
The hardest parts with Champions is creating your character sheet as a player and creating a challenging opponent as the GM.

The framework allows for comparable strength using any special effect you want. Want to have a giant Mecha? You can build that. And it will be comparable to a superhero with similar build points.

I'm a big fan of supers as well, but as you said, even good PBEM games are hard to find.

I think I perused Champions. It uses the HERO system, right? Point buy build and pretty crunchy combat. It looks ok, but I've veered away from games like that. I'm into stuff like Masks or the Cortex Drama System like in the Smallville game that focuses on the character interactions instead of the combat portions. But my favorite parts of comic books were always the characters and who helped who and who hated who and which ones were secretly getting it on.

Yori

Quote from: IsabellaRose on September 14, 2023, 04:50:51 PM
I think I perused Champions. It uses the HERO system, right? Point buy build and pretty crunchy combat. It looks ok, but I've veered away from games like that. I'm into stuff like Masks or the Cortex Drama System like in the Smallville game that focuses on the character interactions instead of the combat portions. But my favorite parts of comic books were always the characters and who helped who and who hated who and which ones were secretly getting it on.

Haven't tried Masks or Cortex, not because I wouldn't be interested, but because I've never encountered them or someone looking to play them before. And I prefer games that are run more for character driven situations than combat, no matter what system they are in.

My biggest problem is that my relaxing, gaming, RPing, and writing generally needs to be done in increments measured in minutes stolen here and there these days.

MightyMaiden

I love Masks, though it's not for everyone, in particular playing teenagers isn't everyone's cup of tea and most games I've played have aged it up some.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Yori on September 14, 2023, 06:06:33 PM
Haven't tried Masks or Cortex, not because I wouldn't be interested, but because I've never encountered them or someone looking to play them before. And I prefer games that are run more for character driven situations than combat, no matter what system they are in.

My biggest problem is that my relaxing, gaming, RPing, and writing generally needs to be done in increments measured in minutes stolen here and there these days.

I completely understand timing issues. I don't have any active online games at the moment, but play by post is probably all I can commit to for the time being. My favorite game ever was Play By Post using the Cortex/Smallville rules and that was my favorite way to play for a long time.

Since Covid lockdown my 1 reliable game with dependable players went remote on Roll20. That's back to in person now. I host 2 weekly and 1 biweekly games right now and I'm playing in my friends D&D campaign (first time DM, and she begged me to play so she had an old pro/friend for support).

IsabellaRose

Quote from: MightyMaiden on September 14, 2023, 06:24:03 PM
I love Masks, though it's not for everyone, in particular playing teenagers isn't everyone's cup of tea and most games I've played have aged it up some.

I love Masks, too. We went all X-Men style the first time, but I love playing youthful characters who are inexperienced and/or kind of naive, trying to find their way in the world. I love how Masks has the We played pretty crazy hijinks with our teens, all 17-19. It got very X rated. Even though we're all pretty good friends I was careful with safety tools to make sure everyone was ok when things went in a darker direction.

Yori

Quote from: IsabellaRose on September 14, 2023, 07:35:00 PM
I love Masks, too. We went all X-Men style the first time, but I love playing youthful characters who are inexperienced and/or kind of naive, trying to find their way in the world. I love how Masks has the We played pretty crazy hijinks with our teens, all 17-19. It got very X rated. Even though we're all pretty good friends I was careful with safety tools to make sure everyone was ok when things went in a darker direction.

I very much enjoy the process of the character figuring out what they are capable of while also figuring out how to deal with real life.

Had a Jr X-Men style game that I played in for several years. And, yes, teens will be teens. Most of the time we were just RPing in the school, but, occasionally, we would go out on missions.

If there is enough interest, we could start something here on an E forum.

Silvered Sutures

Fate TTRPG is my definite favorite, because it's so customizable by design, but I do play a lot of different systems.
My O/O Thread
Discord handle; Silvered Sutures

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Yori on September 14, 2023, 10:49:21 PM
If there is enough interest, we could start something here on an E forum.

I haven't played in a group game on E in years. They never seemed to get too far before fading out or just completely stalling. I'm not sure I have the time to commit to one right now, but it's a lovely idea. Maybe we should give it a try.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Silvered Sutures on September 15, 2023, 12:26:39 AM
Fate TTRPG is my definite favorite, because it's so customizable by design, but I do play a lot of different systems.

Fate was my go-to until I discovered Cortex. Fate is still quick and easy, and I'll use it for a one shot if we don't have a lot of time, but when I have time and really want to build a cool thing around a concept, I'll always go with Cortex now. It's just as customizable, but I feel like the different builds I can make with Cortex can give the games an entirely different mechanical feel vs the different builds I make with Fate always feeling pretty similar mechanically.

Fate taught me about Aspects and using a metacurrency like Fate points. But I definitely feel like Cortex built more onto those concepts, and the actual roll is more variable than just +/-4. I like a little more crunch than Fate usually feels for me, and Cortex hits that sweet spot.

I have a friend who loves Genesys for the way the dice mechanics can give you such a wide array of results, but I bounce hard off custom dice, especially with custom symbols and another who keeps trying to get me back into the Cypher system, but I didn't like that as a generic system.

Yori

I picked up a copy of the Cortex Core rules and the most basic mechanism of rolling two or three d6 and taking the totals is fine. But I got really confused when it started talking about rolling 5 or 6 dice of all different sizes without explaining where they came from and picking some of the unused dice to determine the effectiveness.

Maybe I just need it explained to me in a different way or demonstrated.

Cute Bunny

I play pretty much only non-D&D stuff. I play a lot of PbtA, mainly Masks or Urban Shadows. I've also played some Blades in the Dark. I've only played one or two sessions of Fate, but I might have to try it again at some point. I've also played some MouseGuard which was fun. I mostly play narrative focused games that are lighter on the crunch.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Yori on September 16, 2023, 04:46:30 PM
I picked up a copy of the Cortex Core rules and the most basic mechanism of rolling two or three d6 and taking the totals is fine. But I got really confused when it started talking about rolling 5 or 6 dice of all different sizes without explaining where they came from and picking some of the unused dice to determine the effectiveness.

Maybe I just need it explained to me in a different way or demonstrated.

My biggest criticism of the Cortex Prime book is the lack of concrete examples. When I read it, it was hard for me to get everything, and I've played multiple other Cortex games. I found it easier to understand when I used examples of the rules from previous systems and the Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide, which shows a lot of ways to mod the previous version of the system.

If they'd put out publicly available settings books like Evil Hat did with Fate,  a lot more people would use the system, because they'd be able to see how it's implemented. But so far, nada. At least their Discord and Reddit communities are friendly and helpful instead of gatekeepy like some other game communities (I'm looking at you, Burning Wheel.)

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Cute Bunny on September 16, 2023, 05:00:20 PM
I play pretty much only non-D&D stuff. I play a lot of PbtA, mainly Masks or Urban Shadows. I've also played some Blades in the Dark. I've only played one or two sessions of Fate, but I might have to try it again at some point. I've also played some MouseGuard which was fun. I mostly play narrative focused games that are lighter on the crunch.

PbtA games are a lot of fun! I haven't got to play many, just Dungeon World and Masks, but I went on a buying binge and have a pile on my shelf still unplayed. MouseGuard is supposed to be a lot of fun, but again, still haven't brought it to the table. Narrative games are the best!

LostInTheMist

I'm a big fan of the 2nd Edition Star Wars game. It has its issues, the combat rules can be messy, since different attributes govern defensive use of weapons and attacking use of weapons (instead of one skill with the weapon, you have to learn both to attack and evade) plus, repairing an airspeed is treated as a completely separate skill from repairing a ground speeder, which is separate from repairing a speeder bike, which is separate from repairing a swoop bike. It's like if repairing a 50's dodge required a completely separate skill from repairing a 50's chevy.

But the combat is quick, dangerous, and the dice rolls are easy to understand, and work to supplement the story without guiding the story too much. Eventually, your characters do turn into gods, but that's hardly different from any other RPG.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Vekseid

I have played quite a few myself, most recently some Forged in the Dark hacks.

I do kindof like the narrative focus but it is hard to do a long campaign in them, and players tend to hypercompetency.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: LostInTheMist on September 18, 2023, 12:34:01 PM
I'm a big fan of the 2nd Edition Star Wars game.

Was that the d20 one? I have a newer version of the d20 one somewhere. In a few of my groups, people talk about the WEG d6 Star Wars like it's the gold standard for Star Wars games, but I get the impression it's more nostalgia and the fact that it defined a lot of the original extended Star Wars universe.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Vekseid on September 19, 2023, 01:00:55 AM
I have played quite a few myself, most recently some Forged in the Dark hacks.

I do kindof like the narrative focus but it is hard to do a long campaign in them, and players tend to hypercompetency.

I still haven't got a FitD game to the table. I conceptually LOVE Scum & Villainy and can't wait to play it. It just looks so much fun.

TheLaughingOne

i play in a 4ok only war game, which when other players are paying attention can go pretty quick, but isnt one for a lack of options, just (with right tools) a quick and fairly smooth flowing one.
When other players pay attention and plan their shit rather then only looking at the board when their turn comes up.

SLA industries had good and fairly clean combat, though a bit clunky in other places.

Got one for game called "the Well" which is a weird one, but seems like could make a good narrative one, but havent been able to play.

liked the idea of the star wars edge of the empire, age of rebellion, force and destiny books, though because of that weird dice system,w hich was part of the appeal to me, nigh impossible to find a game of.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

IsabellaRose

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on September 20, 2023, 01:51:41 AM
i play in a 4ok only war game, which when other players are paying attention can go pretty quick, but isnt one for a lack of options, just (with right tools) a quick and fairly smooth flowing one.
When other players pay attention and plan their shit rather then only looking at the board when their turn comes up.

SLA industries had good and fairly clean combat, though a bit clunky in other places.

Got one for game called "the Well" which is a weird one, but seems like could make a good narrative one, but havent been able to play.

liked the idea of the star wars edge of the empire, age of rebellion, force and destiny books, though because of that weird dice system,w hich was part of the appeal to me, nigh impossible to find a game of.

I played some wargames waaay back when my brother's friends got into them. We did some Warhammer, Battletech, and Car Wars. I enjoyed them, but I'm not very tactically minded and the dice never roll in my favor no matter what I'm playing, so I invariably die in all wargames.

I looked up The Well and I LOVE that concept. It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

I've played FFG Star Wars. I love the Edge of the Empire sourcebooks. I get to play a scoundrel and only interact with the empire and rebels peripherally. The funny thing is, I HATED the dice at first. I loathe custom dice, not because I don't want to add funky dice to my collection (I do) but because I had to learn how to interpret new symbols and apparently my brain doesn't like that. I got it finally, but I'm still slower with that system than with something that uses regular dice.

TheLaughingOne

Only War is more of a RPG then wargame, you play imperial guardsmen(and women) on campaign going through the thick and on rare occasion, thin of it. Can also play an inquisitor in dark heresy as well. Very different style then mass mini battle and a good RPG if you got a good GM. If i wasnt so burned out on mil-sim stuff (most my TT friends are former military and thats their preference) would enjoy a lot more, but always nice to get together for game.

And yeah, The Well is a cool one, noticed it on kick starter and gave it a shot! rather pleased!

I liked the concept of EotEs dice, as while it takes a bit to look everything over, i like how it gives options for more roleplay and effect on things even if you fail. And will say i dont mind a bit slower combat where you can describe things out or give details for fun rather then "You have 10 seconds to declare your action, roll, and figure if it hit. Go." that some of recent games ive played have gone with..
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Yori

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on September 20, 2023, 03:40:02 PM
I liked the concept of EotEs dice, as while it takes a bit to look everything over, i like how it gives options for more roleplay and effect on things even if you fail. And will say i dont mind a bit slower combat where you can describe things out or give details for fun rather then "You have 10 seconds to declare your action, roll, and figure if it hit. Go." that some of recent games ive played have gone with..

I much prefer cinematic combat where I can describe what my character is doing instead of simply calling out a move.

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Yori on September 20, 2023, 08:36:17 PM
I much prefer cinematic combat where I can describe what my character is doing instead of simply calling out a move.

Very much so. EotE you get to choose more depending on what you roll, so while you dont get any hit successes when shooting someone and thus miss, the little secondaries mean you can declare the shot bits their cover and tbrows dust and sparks into their face blinding them for a turn, giving a penalty on next attqck roll, or if you roll more declare the shots close enough they stumble out lf cover, giving next attacker a clear shot without the added protection.

Encourages you to think and plan, while making it sl while you missex, your attack might not have been completely worthless and a waste.
My Ons and Offs!

IsabellaRose

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on September 20, 2023, 11:21:05 PM
Very much so. EotE you get to choose more depending on what you roll, so while you dont get any hit successes when shooting someone and thus miss, the little secondaries mean you can declare the shot bits their cover and tbrows dust and sparks into their face blinding them for a turn, giving a penalty on next attqck roll, or if you roll more declare the shots close enough they stumble out lf cover, giving next attacker a clear shot without the added protection.

Encourages you to think and plan, while making it sl while you missex, your attack might not have been completely worthless and a waste.

That's what I LOVE about the FFG dice system. The ability to interpret the dice results, and the variations you get when you have a success AND a threat or a miss AND advantage. I like the way it promotes cinematic results over just hit/miss. Sure, people can argue that you can describe your D&D misses cinematically, but mechanically they're still just hits and misses. The threat/advantage dice give mechanical relevance to the cinematic aspects.

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

IsabellaRose

Right now I'm playing a game called Best Friends, which is rules (very) light and designed for you to play a group of girlfriends.

The cool thing about it is the way the stats are derived. You have 5 stats: cool, tough, pretty, smart, and rich. You hate 1 of your friends for being smarter than you, 1 for being tougher, etc. for each of the stats. To get your stats, you add up how many of the other characters hate you for a thing, and that's your stat. Stats range from 0-3, with 0 being poor, 1 being average, 2 being great, and 3 being exceptional. It's kind of cool to let the others decide what your character is like. The system is basically "high stat wins" with a metacurrency where you can "push" to beat someone with a higher stat than you.

My character is the smart one who is totally uncool. We're on a high school reunion cruise in the Caribbean (didn't sound plausible to me, but a friend swears that her high school reunion was on a cruise, must be  Florida thing) and get left behind on a Caribbean island and run into trouble. We're not sure what yet, but the ideas we tossed out were political uprising, natural disaster, human traffickers, military coup, and weird supernatural stuff at the temple ruins... so something bad is going to happen and we'll have to try to survive it. If I know our GM well, I bet it's going to be more than one of those things.

Vekseid

Quote from: IsabellaRose on September 19, 2023, 06:36:46 PM
I still haven't got a FitD game to the table. I conceptually LOVE Scum & Villainy and can't wait to play it. It just looks so much fun.

I've been in two and run one to completion. It is an utter blast.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Vekseid on September 22, 2023, 03:20:42 PM
I've been in two and run one to completion. It is an utter blast.

Ever tried running it on a play by post site like this? Just curious if it's adaptable. I find a lot of TTRPGs don't translate well to pbp.

Pink Duct Tape

Well lets see.

My regular group meets on Discord every Sunday at 5pm Eastern and we play over Foundry. We are currently in the middle of a P2 campaign.

Buuuut.

We have access to Vampire the Masquerade Revised, V20, and 5th edition. Kindred of the East, Mage 20, Old school Hunter the Reckoning, & Demon the Fallen. I've also got some of that nWoD stuff too.

In addition to that World of Darkness stuff, there is Revised edition d20 Star Wars as well as West End Games version. Some Warhammer 40K is in there. Got the Alien game. Got Conan, GI Joe, Mutants & Masterminds, a couple Numenara books, the Dishonored book, Serenity (the original one), Battlestar Galactica using the same system, that newish game based on that sweet sci-fi tv show, I think, the Expanse?

Uh... Got the whole d20 Modern collection, the Sword & Sorcery / 3.0 books, including the ridiculously hard to find / valuable Ravenloft setting, the Witcher books, a few Deadlands books, most all the 5th or 6th ed Shadowrun books, almost all of the 1e Starfinder stuff, most everything 3/3.5 Forgotten Realms, anything Drow I could get my hands on, and Cyberpunk Red. I also just picked up that Marvel 616 book that was released. I've got to have 500 or so minis and 75-100 map packs.

I haven't got to play most of it, lol. But I totally would.

I'm really into CP Red. My newest character concept is Stephanie Ford, AKA "Dirty Dutch" a Militech lobbiest Corpo, a face, and an Edgerunner who uses the jobs as an opportunity to test, display, and market new Militech toys. I've even found an appropriate look:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Madam Striga

I mostly play solo these days, particularly journalling games which are based on responding to prompts and constructing a story as you go. They have varying degrees of crunch through management of resources.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Pink Duct Tape on October 03, 2023, 07:07:52 PM
In addition to that World of Darkness stuff, there is Revised edition d20 Star Wars as well as West End Games version. Some Warhammer 40K is in there. Got the Alien game. Got Conan, GI Joe, Mutants & Masterminds, a couple Numenara books, the Dishonored book, Serenity (the original one), Battlestar Galactica using the same system, that newish game based on that sweet sci-fi tv show, I think, the Expanse?

Uh... Got the whole d20 Modern collection, the Sword & Sorcery / 3.0 books, including the ridiculously hard to find / valuable Ravenloft setting, the Witcher books, a few Deadlands books, most all the 5th or 6th ed Shadowrun books, almost all of the 1e Starfinder stuff, most everything 3/3.5 Forgotten Realms, anything Drow I could get my hands on, and Cyberpunk Red. I also just picked up that Marvel 616 book that was released. I've got to have 500 or so minis and 75-100 map packs.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Wow! That's an impressive collection!
Hopefully you get to play more of them, and try out that new character!

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Madam Striga on October 04, 2023, 05:23:27 AM
I mostly play solo these days, particularly journalling games which are based on responding to prompts and constructing a story as you go. They have varying degrees of crunch through management of resources.

I have really been loving solo journaling games. Itch.io should just be my homepage when I open my browser.

I've played through The Beast, Fetch, Thousand Year Old Vampire, and The Magical Year of A Teenage Witch. I'm about to start Her Odyssey and I have Notorious queued up next, but I might switch those around. I still haven't played Ironsworn but I made a starter setting and character for it.

Which solo games have been your favorites?

Madam Striga

Quote from: IsabellaRose on October 04, 2023, 09:00:22 AM
I have really been loving solo journaling games. Itch.io should just be my homepage when I open my browser.

Which solo games have been your favorites?

I relate to this so much that it isn't even funny at this point. I've picked up a bunch of different games in bundles on itch.io but my favourite games so far are Thousand Year Old Vampire and Apothecaria.

I've tried the Broken Casket but I couldn't get into the flow with that one as much as I wanted to.

IsabellaRose

Quote from: Madam Striga on October 05, 2023, 05:37:39 AM
I relate to this so much that it isn't even funny at this point. I've picked up a bunch of different games in bundles on itch.io but my favourite games so far are Thousand Year Old Vampire and Apothecaria.

I've tried the Broken Casket but I couldn't get into the flow with that one as much as I wanted to.

How did you like Thousand Year Old Vampire? I really got into it, and probably wrote way too much for it. I just bought Apothecaria, can't wait to try it!

CaptainErotica

I play Savage Worlds, mainly using the Deadlands setting. The system is very easy to learn and quite fun. It’s also highly adaptable for any genre. Deadlands is supernatural Wild West, but I’ve played everything from Firefly to Zombie Apocalypse to East Texas University (Buffy mixed with Scooby Doo and Cthulhu in college. There is even a setting for Supers and they recently did a version for RIFTS and Pathfinder.

Pink Duct Tape

I got my hands on the Marvel Multi-verse RPG book and I've been looking to test it out.

DeformedCatholic

Quote from: Pink Duct Tape on November 16, 2023, 09:18:21 AMI got my hands on the Marvel Multi-verse RPG book and I've been looking to test it out.
I’ve heard a couple of actual-plays playing that and it sounds like a lot of fun and actually a kind of unique system. 

I own a few non-fantasy RPG books that I’ve been wanting to get a group to play consistently, like Blades in the Dark and Minster of the week. I’m super interested in the new group playbooks in the new MOTW expansion. 

Pink Duct Tape

Thankfully our P2 game is wrapping up soon and we will be moving onto Fallout 2d20. After playing around with Pathfinder 2, here is my assessment. I actively dislike it. I get that they had to rename a bunch of stuff and find new ways to do things in order to avoid the D&D copywrite. But no. It isn't very good at all.

DeformedCatholic

Quote from: Pink Duct Tape on December 16, 2023, 09:18:27 PMThankfully our P2 game is wrapping up soon and we will be moving onto Fallout 2d20. After playing around with Pathfinder 2, here is my assessment. I actively dislike it. I get that they had to rename a bunch of stuff and find new ways to do things in order to avoid the D&D copywrite. But no. It isn't very good at all.
I'm interested in why you say that about P2? I haven't played it myself yet, but in listening to actual plays and people discuss the system there's a lot about it I find intriguing.  The only flaw that I see is it falls into a similar issue that P1 had where if you want to do something interesting in combat - say, disarm for example - and you haven't spent the requisite skill feats to get good at that, any attempt to do that particular maneuver is pretty much impossible to the point of being useless.  Other than that, there's a lot of things I dig - the three action economy, ways they've streamlined things like spells, critical successes/failures.  

But I'd love to hear your take on it.  

castleoflight

Fateless Legacies is a new system being developed and rolled out right now. There's a discord full of playtesters, some of whom stream their campaigns on twitch. 

I find that combat isn't quite as slow because of the way actions are arranged. There's no penalty for Nat 1's. It's much more geared towards narration and story telling than combat. Also, while there's the option for pre-set legacies, the big draw is you aren't stuck in a specific class. You choose what powers or abilities fit your character instead of, for example, shoe horning them into having all the traits of a bard and thus being bad at wielding a hammer. Maybe you have a retired soldier who picked up the lute but can still kick butt in battle if need be. You can arrange it like that. Maybe your brutish and dumb gal grew up on a farm so she knows the land and can connect with animals, even if socially she sucks with humans. Go ahead and pick some spells that would help a farmer and allot some points so she knows them if you like. It's very freeing and much more genuine this way.

I also find the races very fun! There are no humans so everyone is something cool and you can also choose traits within that race/species that fit you. It's very lore rich, but I've played it both in a dark dystopian setting and a magic university, so it's not limited to one style. I know the website is up and they've been tabling at events, so look into it!