Murder Mystery Mansion (OOC discussion and questions)

Started by Remiel, November 16, 2011, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

This thread is designated for OOC chatter (including players who have been killed) as well as for players to ask any questions of the GM.

Missy

Did I give you the character name I was going to use? I'm sorry I don't remember if I did, it was Major Mustard just in case I forgot.

Remiel

You did!  I'm afraid you beat me just a little bit to the punch--invitations should be going out very soon.

Josietta

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Geeklet

Ryven

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Geeklet

*eyes Saffron's avatar, and suddenly wonders what Ryven is being poked with*

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world

Ryven

Josietta

*giggles and finds a place to settle in twirling her toy around whilst staring at the fluttering ruffles*

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Well, this is interesting.  I've been doing some number crunching (because I actually like that sort of thing) and, according to my calculations, given 6 rooms, 8 weapons, and 14 players, there is approximately a 60% chance of someone solving the murder by Round 5, and approximately a 90% chance of someone solving it by round 6.  So this game may be shorter than I had imagined.

On the other hand, the stats don't factor in the actions of the murderer picking off people who get too close to the truth, so hopefully, that will extend the game by a couple of rounds. :P

Zelric Miras

Remiel

Okay, we've got 13.  One more and we should be good to go.

The game should start on Monday regardless.

Beguile's Mistress

Lord Mayerling

Beguile's Mistress

Glad to see you, too.  It's been good despite brain eating NaNo.  Hurry up December!

Nadir

I've been good, thanks Lord May. I have a week of intensive nothing scheduled, so I'm happy. ^_^

Remiel

Personally, I plan to spend the weekend playing Batman: Arkham City, and rooting for the Lions.

Kendra

we root for potatoes and other vegetables here - wow must pay a visit to where you live Remiel :P
would love to root me a lion  ;D

Hey everyone *Hugs*
am looking forward to this starting up  ;)

Josietta

*gives hugs as well* Happy Day of Thanks to those who celebrate!

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

That Girl Analise

That Girl Analise

Josietta

No rush or anything, but do we know when we're expected to start?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Zelric Miras

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Josietta on November 27, 2011, 09:16:14 AM
No rush or anything, but do we know when we're expected to start?

As per the invitation PM, 28 November.

Nadir

Uh, I have an operation on the 1st, so I hope I don't cause too much of a hold up in the first week

Beguile's Mistress

Zelric Miras

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Geeklet

Well, I can always dig out my nurse's costume in case you need some bedside manner afterwards, Eden.  >:)

Remiel

Quote from: Eden on November 27, 2011, 09:35:02 AM
Uh, I have an operation on the 1st, so I hope I don't cause too much of a hold up in the first week

Oh, dear.  Hope everything goes well, Eden.

I was planning on making the first round a week (Monday, 28 November - Monday, 5 December).  Obviously, if you can't post during the week due to real life circumstances, we'll all completely understand and won't hold it against you  ;) (thanks for letting me know!)

Remiel

An interesting tidbit.  Out of 14 players...

Four chose some shade of purple (Miss Plum, Master Indigo, Lady Lavendar,  Professor Mauve)
Three chose some shade of green (Chef Sage Green, Dr. Emerald, Professor Verde)
Two chose some shade of red (The Red Baron, Miss Scarlett)
Two chose shades of brown (Miss Brown, Madame Mocha)
One chose a shade of yellow (Major Mustard)
One chose a kind of grey (Dr. Silver)
and 1 (Miss Rainbow) went for the entire palette.

Nobody, it seems, liked blue.  ???

Josietta

Blue is a very sad color. Its lovely but a bit depressing.

Orange is for early mornings! :P

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Also, the Murderer, Room, and Weapon have been chosen, completely at random (with my handy D&D dice).  The murderer will get a PM sometime tonight, and the game will officially start up tomorrow.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Remiel on November 27, 2011, 04:31:35 PM
An interesting tidbit.  Out of 14 players...

Four chose some shade of purple (Miss Plum, Master Indigo, Lady Lavendar,  Professor Mauve)
Three chose some shade of green (Chef Sage Green, Dr. Emerald, Professor Verde)
Two chose some shade of red (The Red Baron, Miss Scarlett)
Two chose shades of brown (Miss Brown, Madame Mocha)
One chose a shade of yellow (Major Mustard)
One chose a kind of grey (Dr. Silver)

Nobody, it seems, liked blue.  ???

Blue can be a popular color, too, and many like me might have assumed it would be taken.  :P

I'm looking forward to the start! ;D

Geeklet

Quote from: Remiel on November 27, 2011, 04:31:35 PM

.... so I was indecisive. So sue me! :P

Beguile's Mistress

Now, see...  You could have gotten away with declaring how daring you are! ;D

Zelric Miras

*blows Beguile's a kiss* It seems I'm the only one that took a grey shade, it was going to be black, but I decided on the second color of the mask :P

Remiel

Okay, Murder Mystery Mansion is now officially open for business!

Sometime between now and the end of Sunday, 4 December (approximately 11:59 pm, U.S. Pacific Standard Time) I will need from each of you a post in the Game Thread describing which Room your character is in and what he or she is doing.    Writing a novel-length post is not necessary; a few sentences is just fine. 

In order to facilitate the game, you are allowed and even encouraged to chat In Character with the other guests and even flirt with them if that is appropriate to your character.  Try to flesh out your character's backstory (who is he? What does she do for a living?  How did shi know Mr. Grey?).  You can speculate, if you wish, about your suspicions--either publicly or in PM--to the other players, but remember, there can only be one winner of Murder Mystery Mansion.   The winner is whoever is the first to make a correct Accusation.  If the Murderer manages to last ten rounds without any guests making a correct Accusation, then he, or she, or shi, wins the game.   Lying in an attempt to mislead other players is perfectly acceptable.

Sometime during the week, I will also need from you a Suspicion including a Weapon, the Room that you are currently in, and a Suspect.   You are free to change your mind, but the last Suspicion I get from you by the time the round is over is the one that will count.   Similarly, you are free to move from Room to Room before the week is over, but the last room that you have visited by the time the clock strikes will be the one that you are considered to be in.

Remember that the Murderer is hiding among you, and that he/she/shi may strike at any time.  However, you are safe as long as you haven't discovered any clues yet.  Once you have, your life will be in mortal peril. 

Also, as always, if you collude or conspire about the game with anyone in PM, please copy me (Remiel) on all correspondence.

Good luck!

Geeklet

Quote from: Remiel on October 26, 2011, 08:02:02 PMOnce the player has submitted his or her suspicions to the GM, he will find out if any of his guesses are correct.  If none of his guesses are correct, he will be told as much.  If one of his guesses are correct and the other two mistaken, he will learn what the correct guess was.  If more than one of his guesses are correct, however, he will only discover one clue--which will be selected randomly from the correct guesses.    Only new information will be presented (the player does not have to worry about learning already known information).

Example: Mr. Pink has guessed correctly about the Cleaver and Miss Scarlet, but he is wrong about the Kitchen. Although the cleaver was in fact used, the murder took place in another room.  The GM flips a coin and lets him know that he guessed correctly about the Cleaver. Mr. Pink's suspicions of Miss Scarlet will have to wait for another round.

Question: Suppose someone investigates and knows one item already (say, the room). The next round, they make another suspicion, and name the room that they know is right, in addition to guessing on the weapon/killer. If they guessed right on either of those two, would they automatically know its right, or would it fall under the multiple correct guess rule and only one would be revealed at random (thus giving the chance to reveal the room as the only thing right again)? Hopefully this question makes sense. Makes sense in my head, but sometimes things get lost in translation from my thoughts into text. xD

Nadir

Josietta

Personally.. if it were me.. I'd purposely choose the wrong weapon if i got it right the last time. That way I'd know what was right and what was wrong for room and/or people. That way there is no penalty applied and you don't go wrong with it. ;D

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Quote from: Geeklet on November 28, 2011, 06:47:37 PM
Question: Suppose someone investigates and knows one item already (say, the room). The next round, they make another suspicion, and name the room that they know is right, in addition to guessing on the weapon/killer. If they guessed right on either of those two, would they automatically know its right, or would it fall under the multiple correct guess rule and only one would be revealed at random (thus giving the chance to reveal the room as the only thing right again)? Hopefully this question makes sense. Makes sense in my head, but sometimes things get lost in translation from my thoughts into text. xD

Good question.  The way I have it now, you don't need to worry about discovering things you already know.  In other words, if you have guessed the Room correctly on a previous round, it won't count in your guess on subsequent rounds.  So you don't need to worry about "rediscovering" clues that you already know.

If solving the murder proves too easy, however, I may change this rule for the next game.

That Girl Analise

For convenience, I'm adding location to the top of my posts along with whomever I happen to be with in the room, if anyone at all.

That Girl Analise

OHHHH!

In the recap will our accusation posts be coppied for people to see? I was just going to name the three, but if there might be a reveal of such I think I'll make actual posts for them when I do them.

Remiel

Quote from: That Girl Analise on November 28, 2011, 10:15:16 PM
OHHHH!

In the recap will our accusation posts be coppied for people to see? I was just going to name the three, but if there might be a reveal of such I think I'll make actual posts for them when I do them.

Considering that all 13 or 14 players will be making Accusations every single round, I think that's a lot to keep track of. -_-;

Did you mean Suspicion or Accusation?  If you mean Suspicion, technically there is nothing preventing you from doing it publically, but just remember that the Murderer will be watching as well.  If you meant Accusation, then yes, that needs to be made public.  Be careful, though!  If any part of your Accusation is wrong, you are automatically disqualified from the game!

Remiel

Okay, after thinking about this all day today, I've decided to rescind what I just told you, and make it so that if you guess more than one correct Clue in your Suspicion, you'll still have an equal chance of learning either Clue, regardless of whether you previously learned the Clue or not.  So, in other words, if you already know the murder took place in, e.g. the Billiard Room, and you list the Billiard Room in your suspicion again, you may just confirm your previous suspicion without learning anything new.

Just my little attempt to make sure you guys are alive, awake, and paying attention.  >:)

As Josietta said, though, it really shouldn't matter.  Just make sure that your next guess does not include a clue that you have already correctly guessed. :-)

Kendra

Josietta

Can we get a murder mystery badge thingie to put in our signatures? Any ideas on an image?

something like this, maybe??

EDIT: Resized it to fit signatures..and I linked it to the actual game thread instead of the usual OOC i do for most games, since well you can't really join this one now that its started. But reading along could be fun!

[float=left][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=124543.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/c/cb/Murdermystery.jpg[/img][/url][/float]

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Kendra

will you be letting us know here when we should pm you our suspicions Remiel?

Josi that's a great image to use, wicked idea ;)

Remiel

Hee! I like it very much, Josi.

And Kendra, you can PM me your Suspicion for the week at any time.  You can even change your mind, although for the sake of my sanity please try not to change it too often.  :P

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Just a reminder that I will need everyone's Suspicions (including a Weapon, a Room, and a Suspect) by Sunday.

Kendra

awesome gorgeous ;)
will pm you my suspicions this evening ... I do have great suspicions that Ryven's latest avatar might go missing and show up again with some serious damage done  >:)

;D

Geeklet

out of curiousity, any chance there could be a list of who is currently in which rooms?

Ryven

There is one in the main game thread.  It's at the bottom of the first post.

Geeklet

D'oh, I mustve missed that somehow. Now I feel like an idiot. :P

Beguile's Mistress

Geeklet

*giggles at BM* Just make sure they can at least follow instructions. *readies the dungeon*

Remiel

Just as a reminder, when you guys PM me with your suspicions, the Room must be the Room that you are currently in. I.E.: if you are currently in the Billiard Room, your guess must include the Billiard Room.

Remiel

Okay, the results of everyone's suspicions should have been PM'd to them.  Please let me know if you haven't received yours.

Round 2 starts...now!

Kendra

Nadir

Quote from: Remiel on November 29, 2011, 11:52:51 PM
Okay, after thinking about this all day today, I've decided to rescind what I just told you, and make it so that if you guess more than one correct Clue in your Suspicion, you'll still have an equal chance of learning either Clue, regardless of whether you previously learned the Clue or not.  So, in other words, if you already know the murder took place in, e.g. the Billiard Room, and you list the Billiard Room in your suspicion again, you may just confirm your previous suspicion without learning anything new.

Just my little attempt to make sure you guys are alive, awake, and paying attention.  >:)

As Josietta said, though, it really shouldn't matter.  Just make sure that your next guess does not include a clue that you have already correctly guessed. :-)

Oh, wait, so this means you can lie! And we only get 10 rounds? Duuuuude.

Can we share what we know with other people?

That Girl Analise

Quote from: Eden on December 05, 2011, 10:48:37 AM

I think we can, but we have to include Remiel in the convo... And be careful what you share and with whom.

Remiel

Quote from: Eden on December 05, 2011, 10:48:37 AM

Yes, you can.  And, as Analise said, please remember to CC me in the message. 

However, remember that, not only is the Murderer lurking among you, but there can only be one winner of Murder Mystery Mansion (namely, whoever solves the mystery first.)  So remember that you're competing against each other as well as against the Murderer.

Remiel

Valerian put this together.  It is most nifty.  Most nifty, indeed.

Nadir

Nadir

Also - is it rather narcissistic of me to fall in love with Master Indigo? ::)

Josietta

OOO yes.. a bigger one.. we could possibly enlarge it ourselves, Eden, if we blew it up a bit.. *efg* ... I'd definitely send you that slip in your PM box as my vote card!

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Valerian

;D  Thanks!  It isn't quite as pretty as I was hoping, but it turned out all right.  I can see what I can do about a bigger version, since I'm afraid just enlarging it as it is will only help really show up the flaws.  *blush*
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Josietta

It looks just like the game piece! :)  I'd love to see a bigger one if you feel up to it. if not we can work with the smaller one! :) 

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Nadir

It does look marvellously authentic, but I can't even read what the words say, which is a real shame.

Valerian

I was sadly limited by the original source material, which was small, and I couldn't find anything better in that style.  :(  These are from a later version of the game, and those notebooks are just not as good.  They lack the panache of the earlier style, darn it.  They're at least more readable, though.

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Josietta

Yay!! Very lovely!! Thank you Val! Even our own sheet to keep track of notes! <3

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Nadir

Ryven

Kendra

I was hoping to use the last of my grey cells but I think I killed them off  ::)
Thank you Val - they're awesome
*hugs*

Remiel

Remember, once again, I will need everyone's Suspicions by the end of Sunday.

Remiel

Okay, everyone who PM'd me this week should have the results of their Suspicions (I didn't get them from two of you).     Please let me know if you haven't.

Round 3 should start pretty soon--I just need to clarify one small thing.

Beguile's Mistress

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Zelric Miras

Remiel

Round 3 begins now! 

Also, from now on, it will be assumed that everyone will be in whichever room was last indicated until they state explicitly otherwise.  This will carry over from round to round.

Remiel

Remember guys, I will need everyone's suspicions by the end of Sunday in order to count for this round.  Otherwise, you'll miss your chance and will have to wait for next round. 

Remiel

Round 3 has officially ended!   If you haven't received a response to your suspicion via PM, let me know!

Round 4 will start soon; due to the upcoming Christmas and New Year's holidays, however, this round will last two weeks, instead of one.  Feel free to post, if you like, but you won't have to PM me with a new Suspicion until the end of Monday, Jan. 2nd.

Happy holidays, from Murder Mystery Mansion! And pay attention to the IC thread--an important discovery will soon be revealed!

Remiel

We have our first casualty!   Sorry, Geeklet, but you have been silenced by the murderer.  Your investigation, alas, ends here.

For those who remain, the stakes have just been raised.  Secret passages--what could they mean?  How many are there? Is any room truly safe?  We know now that there is a secret passage linking the Trophy Room to the Wine Cellar; could there be other such secrets within the Mansion?    Surely the killer is aware of them--will you figure out the pattern in time?

Geeklet

FoamWeber

Geeklet

I've noticed something. In these games, I always seem to be one of the first few eliminated. :P

Remiel

Well, in the Zombie game, you not only survived, but were instrumental in helping the Survivors win, if I recall.

Geeklet

Okay, so maybe I forgot the zombie game. But other than that! *laughs*

That Girl Analise

Question: if a room is connected by secret passageways, can the killer kill us if they are in a connected room?

Remiel

Quote from: That Girl Analise on December 19, 2011, 09:29:42 PM
Question: if a room is connected by secret passageways, can the killer kill us if they are in a connected room?

Answer: that is correct.  Some rooms are safe, while others are not.  Which ones are safe? That's for you to find out!

Kendra

awww sorry to see you go Geeklet ... a secret passageway O.o
must take note coz I will forget >.<

Happy Holidays everyone  ;)

Remiel

Just to remind everyone, the game is picking back up again, and I will need your Suspicions by the end of this Monday, 2nd January, approximately 11:59 P.M. American EST.

Hope everybody had a great holiday break!

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

That Girl Analise

Ana does not like this connected room thing. Not one bit. -should have expected that to come up from the beginning-

What round number are we on?

Remiel

Quote from: That Girl Analise on January 01, 2012, 01:08:17 PM
Ana does not like this connected room thing. Not one bit. -should have expected that to come up from the beginning-

What round number are we on?

Round 4.

Remiel

Round 4 has ended.  Once we have selected our victim (if we select a victim!) I will PM everyone with the results of your guesses.

Josietta

*bounces through and plops down nibbling on a granola bar*

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Geeklet

So... will anyone be joining me in the morgue? *snickers* Lets find out!

Remiel

Lord Mayerling will, apparently.   :-\ Sorry, LM, but your investigation ends here.

Remiel

Okay, all the investigation results should have been sent out.  Let's say that the next round ends at the end of Monday, 9 January (about 9:00pm EST if you want to be specific).

That Girl Analise

Wat.
Two passages.
Wat.

Crap. Crap crap crap. Ohhhh, I wish I had something to go on to make an accusation. This makes me nervous.

Nadir

:|

Damn Grey and his secret network of pervy peepholes!

Lord Mayerling

Beguile's Mistress

Remiel

Just a reminder that I'm going to need everyone's suspicions by the end of Monday if they are to be counted for this round. :)

Kendra

sorry hun have been uber busy  :-\
will get my suspicions to you asap ;)

Zelric Miras

XD Pervy holes...Hmmm that reminds me of a book, can't get the name straight though. There was a place called Apple estates...the man in charge was called Brady....Oh wait, The Caretaker by Thomas William Simpson. An interesting book, not quite my favorite, but interesting nevertheless.

Remiel

And Round 5 has officially ended.  You will all know the results of your investigations soon.

Remiel

And That Girl Analise is our latest victim.  She was so close, too!

Nadir

Autumn Sativus

Does that mean we find out about our suspicions soon? *Bounces excited-like*
Us against the world

Nadir

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world

Nadir

Autumn Sativus

Psst. Isn't the Trophy Room connected to the master bedroom and the kitchen? Not the wine cellar, or is this a third path into the Trophy Room?
Us against the world

Remiel

Quote from: Saffron on January 10, 2012, 11:42:26 PM
Psst. Isn't the Trophy Room connected to the master bedroom and the kitchen? Not the wine cellar, or is this a third path into the Trophy Room?

Uh oh, did I say that anywhere?  *panics*

Autumn Sativus

My bad reading. *Runs off with tail between legs*
Us against the world

Remiel

Phew.  *wipes brow and takes the opportunity to check out Saffron's tail*

Ryven

I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!!  *shakes fist*  >:(

Niferbelle

Foiled by Miss Brown! That's...kind of sad, actually  :-)

Very cool. I don't usually win stuff like this!

Ryven

Quote from: Niferbelle on January 11, 2012, 11:34:41 PM
Foiled by Miss Brown! That's...kind of sad, actually  :-)

Very cool. I don't usually win stuff like this!

Seriously, on like round 2, I was up to my knees in people finding out clues.  I really don't feel the murderer can really win in the allotted time with the game the way it is.  Thank god for the secret passages because the moment someone found out I was the murderer, they could simply dodge me the rest of the game until they won.  Next time, maybe there should be more than one murderer...or maybe the murderer should get some kind of special abilities.

Remiel

Thanks, everyone, for playing -- if you all could do me a favor and give me your feedback by taking a quick poll -- that would be great.

And yes, Ryven, it was next to impossible for you to win.  Thanks for being such a good sport about that.   We ended up with an amusing situation where Analise knew that Ryven was the murderer, and Ryven ended up chasing her around the mansion.  It ultimately came down to whomever could sneak in the last post before the "deadline" -- which, I suspect, was another bug that needed to be worked out.

Beguile's Mistress

Nadir

Geeklet

Ryven, I'm curious. When you killed me, did you know which 2 clues I had found, or just that I had found 2 of the 3 clues?

Ryven

Quote from: Geeklet on January 12, 2012, 08:06:46 AM
Ryven, I'm curious. When you killed me, did you know which 2 clues I had found, or just that I had found 2 of the 3 clues?

I never knew which clues anyone knew, only that they knew 1, 2, or 3.  I could intuit that Analise knew it was me because she fled from me immediately and continued to do so as soon as I would enter a room with her. 

That Girl Analise

Ryven- I would have beat you. The kitchen was my next guess, and if I hadn't gone on an unexpected hiatus RIGHT THEN I would have gotten you. Seriously.

Also, if you hadn't followed me I would have not suspected you. GAH.

That Girl Analise

Quote from: Ryven on January 12, 2012, 08:25:24 AM
I never knew which clues anyone knew, only that they knew 1, 2, or 3.  I could intuit that Analise knew it was me because she fled from me immediately and continued to do so as soon as I would enter a room with her.

You were the second clue I figured out. I found the derringer the first round and that it was you in the second. I just had to stay alive long enough to fine the where.

Ryven

Quote from: That Girl Analise on March 10, 2012, 05:20:57 PM
Ryven- I would have beat you. The kitchen was my next guess, and if I hadn't gone on an unexpected hiatus RIGHT THEN I would have gotten you. Seriously.

Also, if you hadn't followed me I would have not suspected you. GAH.

How could I not follow you? You were the only person to learn 2 clues at that time.  I had to go after you, but it was impossible to get you the way things were.