Bookmarks update?

Started by Esoterica, February 21, 2024, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esoterica

I am not trying to nag by any means, but I am wondering, is this a feature that is going to be returned to the website. I know the staff and Vekseid are very busy, but its been awhile since that has been addressed, and I am wondering. And thanks for all the hard work you all do in giving us this place to rp.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Lain

I will second this question and the statement of thanks to the team.

While the work arounds work for alerts, that's where the helpfulness stops for me (I wont get into my compulsive nature and habits to explain why). Simply, that if something is out of sight it's out of mind. I miss having the bookmarks and a list readily available to help me keep track.

So I eagerly await their return...
My Heritage Is Rebellion.

Nymphadora

I figured out a reasonably effective trick (for me, at least) that helps keep some older threads I'd not bookmarked in the forefront for me.

I mark them as unread and they will then sit in my Unreads.

Not the best solution but so far working for me...

My appreciation as well goes out to the staff and Veks for the work on the updated site. :)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

debutante

Agree with all the sentiment about hard work being performed by our staff.  Wondering about the bookmark feature as well.

Thanks so much,

Debbie 
O/O

Swashbuckler

I did a  google search a while ago seemed to show that simplemachines forum (what E switched too recently) did not have a "native" bookmark support as opposed to the alert system, and would require a mod for bookmarks, which may have contributed to some of the slowdown.

Esoterica

Yes from having had a Simple Machines forum at one point in the past I do know mods are hard to maintain and require a lot of work. SMF doesn't have bookmarks as a built in feature and it does require mods.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Bruja Amethyst

Quote from: Esoterica on February 21, 2024, 06:51:01 PMI am not trying to nag by any means, but I am wondering, is this a feature that is going to be returned to the website. I know the staff and Vekseid are very busy, but its been awhile since that has been addressed, and I am wondering. And thanks for all the hard work you all do in giving us this place to rp.
I totally agree with this.  Thank you. I know there are tricks and stuff, but they just aren't the same as having the bookmarks and having some form of update would be nice. 
Roleplay Status: Accepting
Storylines = 10
Response Time: = 1-3 days
Bruja Amethyst's Magical Realm
DISCORD: BrujaAmethyst#9691 - 139188212018053120

Revelation

Hi there!

So this is something that is primarily up to Vekseid and him getting the time to do so - I know this has been a very requested feature, and I especially miss being able to use and interact with bookmarks as I have a number of threads I like to keep tabs on.

However, for now, there is no exact ETA but the moment there is, I will absolutely notify this thread and any other bookmark question related threads.

Lyrical

Quote from: Revelation on March 16, 2024, 03:53:16 PMHi there!

So this is something that is primarily up to Vekseid and him getting the time to do so - I know this has been a very requested feature, and I especially miss being able to use and interact with bookmarks as I have a number of threads I like to keep tabs on.

However, for now, there is no exact ETA but the moment there is, I will absolutely notify this thread and any other bookmark question related threads.
Thank you for replying to this thread. Everyone has been radio silent on this issue and it has been a bit frustrating.

Next to the glaring white backgrounds the Bookmark feature has been my 2nd biggest stumbling block to utilizing the forums for the last several months. The alert system is unwieldy and annoying. So trying to manage threads is a nightmare without something similar to the old Bookmark system.

Revelation

The lack of communication is certainly a good reason to be frustrated over, I do apologize. I just wanted to say I completely empathize.

While these are not 100% surefire magical fixes, I do have some suggestions for how to alleviate both the lack of a bookmark system and lack of a dark mode built innately into Elliquiy.

You can manage a bookmark folder with what threads you want bookmarked on your browser - this takes up a bit of browser space and lacks the elegance of a built in system, but it's what I'm doing right now since otherwise having to traverse through through email and notifications can be a bit annoying.

For a dark mode,I  am using dark reader, a browser addon that adds a dark mode to every site. This includes Elliquiy and it looks like this on my browser. It works for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari. Again, it is not innately built into E but it could alleviate some of the issues.

Communication between staff and general members has been a bit quiet, so I fully understand any irritation and frustration caused by such. We are going through some growing pains as we adapt to the new forums, so I get it. Personally I miss the 3 column layout of the old forums and not having to scroll nearly as much to find certain boards. It's annoying, it's not fun, and I just wanted to say that your sentiments are shared and as soon as a solution can be done, it will be done.

Bruja Amethyst

Quote from: Lyrical on March 17, 2024, 10:19:54 AMThank you for replying to this thread. Everyone has been radio silent on this issue and it has been a bit frustrating.

Next to the glaring white backgrounds the Bookmark feature has been my 2nd biggest stumbling block to utilizing the forums for the last several months. The alert system is unwieldy and annoying. So trying to manage threads is a nightmare without something similar to the old Bookmark system.

I agree. to both things you said.  I'm sure they are working on it, or at least trying to but the radio silence has been crazy.  I don't personally like the little tricks, to be honest.  I'm going the best I can with them but the bookmarks feature was fantastic and perfect for what I use it for, as I'm sure many other use it for.
Roleplay Status: Accepting
Storylines = 10
Response Time: = 1-3 days
Bruja Amethyst's Magical Realm
DISCORD: BrujaAmethyst#9691 - 139188212018053120

Swordsman18

@Revelation I appreciate the communication, but most of all, I appreciate the darkreader recommendation! Dear gosh has the glaring white of e been hard on the eyes! *pounce glomps if you consent*

Revelation

Quote from: Swordsman18 on March 17, 2024, 05:37:22 PM@Revelation I appreciate the communication, but most of all, I appreciate the darkreader recommendation! Dear gosh has the glaring white of e been hard on the eyes! *pounce glomps if you consent*
You're welcome. I really do hope taht we get a dark theme built in soon, but I have found this to be the best measure against E's normally extremely bright design.