Realm of Veserix D&D 3.5-ish sandbox idea. Mostly freeform. LGBTQ+ Friendly

Started by WhatLiesAbove, August 22, 2021, 02:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatLiesAbove

Welcome both of you!

Both those sheets look awesome! I’ll be setting up an OOC chat in the next day or so!

Carly

Cool.

I am glad you like her !

I wasn't sure how crazy we could go with magical items and possessions.

FlowerMagnolia

NAME: Brielle “Ironclaw” Bonnet
SEXUALITY: Bisexual
SPECIES: Fairy, Human
CLASS: Sorcerer, Fighter
LEVEL: 12
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
STARTING CITY: Tennet

Character Creation

Strength: 17
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 12
Wisdom: 9
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 12

Weapons: Medium Longsword and dagger
Armor: Scale mail

Skills: Balance, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Concentration, Climb and Intimidate

Flaws: Lack of empathy, insularity, rude and aggressive

History:

Brielle comes from the poorest of the poor in Tennet, born into a working class family. Her father worked as a ship-building in the harbor, barely earning enough to feed his wife and his three children. Sometimes, he slept in the hall just to be there earlier to earn more money for his family. Brielle, being the oldest of three girls, had to watch her mother suffering from the strains of life. They were starving, living in one room with no other income other than what their father brought home. Thus, Brielle took matters in her own hands and began to steal from wealthier families. With a few failures at the start, eventually, the girl got better and managed to steal more without getting caught.

With fifteen, Brielle broke into a house of a nobleman. Climbing into a window, she was amazed at the wealth, gold and grandiosity of the mansion. She had wandered around, just admiring the beauty of it all when she saw a massive silver longsword hanging on a wall over the fireplace. The brunette had stood there, mouth hanging open and just staring at it, forgetting why she was there. It had caught her completely off guard when suddenly a hard hand gripped her arm tightly. She had reacted quickly, biting into the fingers before jumping up to grab the sword. However, there was no way out of there at that point. The owner of the house had threatened to hand her over to the authorities but Brielle had begged him not to, for her family was starving. Thus, he had taken her under his wing, promising her to teach her how to fight with the sword she had desired, if she promised never to steal again and leave her family behind. The better she fought, he would send more coins to her family.

Years passed by and she never stole again. Instead, she was trained well and hard, making that her new profession. Indeed, Gérald trained her to defend for herself – but also punishing her if she forgot a lesson. He was harsh with her, making sure that she would never take anything for granted. When she was of age, he sent her to the Emperor that she would learn how to protect the leaders of their city. And indeed, she proved herself worthy to join the royal guards. Not just because she was strong, focused and dutiful. But also because they discovered chaos magic in her.

Next to her training as a warrior, Brielle found that she could summon magic at her own will. She had no need for books or training, but she invested time into the discovery of her powers. She knew that she could kill if she wanted to… but had refused to test the limits yet of those powers. Instead, she found herself at the head of the royal guards and as the right-hand of King Horace. She is loyal and a strong supporter of the city’s superiority. She also believes that slavery is the way out of poverty for the population.

Faceclaim: Liu Yifei

(here she finally is! Is there a character thread yet? :) )

Carly

Awesome characters grey and flower !

A question concerning skills.

Do we include magic ability and fighting ability in skills ?

If we include them do we use different skill slots for different types of magic spells or fighting styles ?
Like bow and mounted combat and sword an shield use three slots in total ? Or restoration healing and buff magic uses three slots in total ?

Currently the characters posted are a mixture of how this is interpreted.

Or are skills other things other than those two core elements ?

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Carly on August 30, 2021, 07:56:31 PM
Awesome characters grey and flower !

A question concerning skills.

Do we include magic ability and fighting ability in skills ?

If we include them do we use different skill slots for different types of magic spells or fighting styles ?
Like bow and mounted combat and sword an shield use three slots in total ? Or restoration healing and buff magic uses three slots in total ?

Currently the characters posted are a mixture of how this is interpreted.

Or are skills other things other than those two core elements ?

Great questions, Carly!

So there isn't a set amount of skill slots. However, if skills don't mesh with the overall character, they won't be accepted.

Example:

Mage has a martial skill of mounted combat using a Jousting lance. Well, we know that casting spells requires a mix of verbal words and hand motions. Such would not be possible if they were using a lance. Hence, jousting mages wouldn't be accepted for skillsets.

However, there could be exceptions!

Example:

Battle Cleric uses a quick-heal spell while firing off a bolt at an incoming enemy. Battle clerics or battle mages are known classes. They can't use heavy armor, and they can only use smaller weapons (short sword, small crossbow, dagger, etc.). One-handed weapons so that one hand is free to help cast spells. This would be acceptable.

Hope this clears up the confusion!

Carly

Ok.

Well my character is a cleric that uses plate mail and shield but she isnt that good at fighting in any regard, and relies on her armor more than her skills to keep herself alive.

Do you want me to rework my character or is she fine as she is ?

Laughing Hyena

I'm pretty sure there's a feat that makes it possible to cast whilst wielding a weapon. And the holy symbol can be supplanted into a shield to make it able to be wielded in a joust. I think.

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Carly on August 30, 2021, 10:18:43 PM
Ok.

Well my character is a cleric that uses plate mail and shield but she isnt that good at fighting in any regard, and relies on her armor more than her skills to keep herself alive.

Do you want me to rework my character or is she fine as she is ?

I wouldn't use plate mail as a magic user. But other than that, she should be okay

WhatLiesAbove

Hey everyone! We have both an OOC and Approved Character list!

Approved Character List

Veserix OOC

Let the beginnings of the games begin!

Carly

Laughing Hyena

With 3.5 ed Arcane Spell Failure is a thing and it will hamper any character with arcane magic. Unless a class feature changes that fact, there's a reason why wizards never use armor. But it only affects spells with somatic elements to them. So make sure you use the metamagic spell feat still spell to solve that.

Carly

Im a cleric though, not a sorcerer or warlock or wizard or anything.

my spells are divine. like a paladins spells.

Clerics and paladins can wear heavy armor and cast spells without arcane spell failure as they are not arcane spell casters. They are divine spell casters.

Right ?

Laughing Hyena

Correct. It doesn't affect Divine or Druidic Spellcasters. Only classes like wizards, sorcerers and other Arcane Spellcasters are affected in this way. After all its Arcane Spell Failure listed on armor. ^_^

Carly

Well this is dnd 3.5 ish which means that its similar to 3.5.

I assumed clerics could wear platemail and not have issues casting spells.

Still whatever custom rules for clerics are adopted here as determined by WhatLiesAbove I will go with it.

I want to wear the best armor I can though !

mjrbatou

So far my characters 'skills' are sex and linguistics.  I know they aren't really adventuring ones and I'm not sure I could have any that make sense.

Though if I continue with all natural things I think I can get more adventuring styled skills...perhaps a slight change to my source material is in order (but not character, I like Meri even if I haven't seen the last 2 animations).