Happily Never After (Official Interest check)

Started by Bekah Boo, July 31, 2017, 05:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bekah Boo

So this is simply just an interest check to see what people think of this concept, as I've always been quite curious and loved the Grimm's Fairytale stories as far back as I can remember, that adding a bit of well...more darkness to them is just right up my alley.

That's right folks we're going for it! So this is the official interest check where all the goody details can be found ;3

Everyone knows the stories of Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks,poor Hansel and Gretel left in the woods that while their story book endings have fluctuated dramatically depending on what medium or source for reasons than any they got their 'happily' ever after; at least that's what the public has been left to believe.  In this universe those wholesome stories of stranger danger and respecting other's property really did happen, as citizens of the world of Ever After the happily endings once thought to be the truth are far from it, in fact no one actually really knows what happened to the hero and heroines of the stories themselves as they became just that; stories. Simply legends and myths thought to be made up in the universe to serve the same purpose of morality and respect but in reality they really did go through such but perhaps not in the way that was told. The instances were covered up by simply scooping those inflicted up to hole them into an insane asylum less they 'infect' the rest of the world with their wild stories of darkness and evil, all led by the tyrannical Humpty Dumpty who is in charge of the nation of Ever After as it's main political force. In this world of princesses and creative creatures the hard at work team of researchers attempt to keep the chaos in reign by trying to heal the sick heroes and bring order to the land, that at a single whiff of something that it not the picture perfect image of happily ever after they are quickly sequenced to the asylum for 'reprogramming' at any means necessary.

It's for their own good they say, to help them fight their demons, that the land is peaceful when in all reality it is nothing but a pure dictatorship from the mind of a power hungry fool sitting on top of his precious wall of power.

So this idea is based around a comic made by Endling, a man who deserves so much attention to his brilliant work as well as creative ideas as I have poured over all his work for many years and loved ever moment of it. Like I said in the title this is purely an interest check to see what people think, that if there is enough serious interest I may (with a willing coGM) make this happen. Here is the link to his work, but as I said I want to sort of loosely base on his work so things can be changed, as obviously the age would be one of them. That said tell me your ideas and see what everyone thinks, as I personally would love to see this happen!

http://endling.deviantart.com/gallery/168300/Everafter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules and Expectations

So a couple of rules first and foremost, as having a good structure always helps these things out as far as questions and such; though if anyone does have any afterwards do message me I don't bite ;3

Firstly this story will be heavily character interaction based, that while it is fun to goof off and all but keep in mind we're hear for an experience and really want to dive deep into these characters with whatever faults/traits they have to offer. I want to believe the struggles of these characters and what they are going through, maybe they are put here while innocent?Perhaps they were falsely accused and the real perpetrator is still out there?The large injustice of the world can hold as many secrets and underground dealings the imagination can barely contain so the possibilities are endless as far as just how rough a character can have it when they don't fit into the picture perfect idol like the others who are too scared to speak up. Let's see our wrists bleed and really dig in deep to not only create an engrossing story, but one that proves that sometimes the first impression isn't what it is cracked up to be.

Second this story will be placed in the Extreme thread thread for obvious reasons, though that does not mean that every player is expected to take part in such. In fact as part of the character sheets please observe one another's on and offs before going head first into something that others may find pushing the limits, unsure if another player would enjoy acting out a brutal attack or what not? Ask them first.The reason I have this listed under Extreme is largely in part due to elements of substance/torture abuse elements that may arise, so I'd rather play safe than sorry, so if someone is uncomfortable with this please let me know and we can work around it.

If anyone has any ideas they would like to see or certain scenes to be played out just suggest them, there are no stupid ideas; does someone want the group to go to the beach one day for a casual care free day? We can easily discuss it and either give it a go or not. A player have an darker idea that they wish to play out? Contact those you wish to involve and talk it out! We're all here to have fun so don't be afraid to speak up!

Third I absolutely will not tolerate any sort of bullying or people who choose to ignore common decency in this game, I know how real life can put someone in a certain mood but lashing out at people for no reason or unable to take criticism will not be here. We are all adults here and need to act like it. If there is any problems with a player either take it over messages or address me and we will take care of it, my aim is to make this as fun as possible and if anyone feels a certain way please do not hesitate to tell me. Everyone is to be respectful of one another when it comes to talking as well as other's limits as far as what they feel comfortable in doing, do not push someone into a situation they are not comfortable with; not sure? Message them. Clear and simple, don't just assume.

Fourth along with respecting one another there is also the subject of posting order/speed and what not, as some people's schedules may make them a bit slower as far as frequency in their posts. That is completely fine, there is no real set speed apart from at least one post a week, which I feel seems fair all around. In my experience I have always gone with the rule of following an order depending on how many people are in a scene, that if character A posts then B in a group of many then after everyone has posted once it would be character A's post once more, which is what is both fair and seems to make the most sense. Though if two characters are in a completely different scene entirely away from others they may post as frequently as possible for that scene as it doesn't have anyone else to worry about therefore is a closed scene in a sense, so the posting order only pertains to just what everyone surroundings are and who is involved. If there is ever a worry or uncertainty about such simply message to find out, but under no circumstances will anyone get onto someone to get a post out. We all have lives outside of the site so sometimes things happen and posts can't happen as quickly as other times, it's completely fine and understandable. That said however if anyone finds they are going to be away for a lengthy amount of time please simply tell me, as stepping away is fine but communication is needed to make sure that way we can either figure a way around a character or what not.

And....I think that's mostly it really, at least for now. So onto the fun part ;3

[img height=350] Your Image here![/img]
[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Story Origin:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Character's Crime:[/b]
[b]Player's On and Offs:[/b]

Here is the character sheet that everyone can fill out and as stated before hand everyone has free reign to their character's design/history/personality and what not from the original as I full endorse changing things up. My thoughts were to strictly stick to Grimm fairy tales though I am open to any other suggestions as well so long as they are some sort of folklore or what not, my only real exception is really the main Disney princesses for the fact that many are royalty and would be more in line to follow the rules less they have their happy ending taken away, but they can be referenced depending on the relevance and all. The character's crime however is fully up to a player, as it is what sends them to the asylum in the first place so it must be something that goes against the folds in a way of the 'perfect' world in which Humpty Dumpty wishes to create.

All character sheets are to be sent to me along with a sample of writing from the player, that I am looking for a certain post depth and such that will not only fit with the type of story but also the flow. That said I will be looking through a lot and not everyone will be accepted, please do not take this personally that is just simply how I wish to do this in order to create a lasting story. Once approved I will message you and we will go from there, but until then please do not post character sheets on the interest check.

Characters Unavilable:
The Hare's Bride
The Girl with no Hands
Little Match Girl

So with all that go my pretties!

Sirian Eve

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

TheLegionary

Bekah Boo

*Squeals excitedly*
I'm glad to see some interested folks!
Since it is still early and all though I'd love to hear questions, as this idea isn't as planned out as of yet though no fear!
My initial thoughts were to play more on the roles of stories that are still famous but perhaps not going as far as like Snow White or Cinderella, that while they are iconic tales and all they would seem the sort to be in line under Humpty Dumpty's ruling perhaps out of fear or blackmail to look away from the cruelty he has done. A great reference I've found is site here has a huge collection of stories that would do well-
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/

That said if anyone has a certain character they would enjoy playing by all means I am open to hear your spin on it, and perhaps we can see what we can do to fit it into the story so don't be discouraged ;3
For example my character I thought of playing is from the tale of The Girl with No Hands, that unlike the story there are changes from the sources I've come up with so you don't have to strictly follow what it is. Be as creative as you like just keep it within reason (or not either way is fine).

corvusul86

I might be interested in this -- I love fairy tales.

I have an idea for the unnamed heroine of The Hare's Bride.  In that story she's charged with keeping a thieving Hare from stealing all of her families cabbage, and he convinces her to go with him to his hut... where he then tries to force her to marry him.  She escapes by tricking him with a straw doll wearing her clothing and running away back home (and the Hare then proceeds to physically attack the doll thinking she was just ignoring him).

In the story her happily ever after is making it back home, and the Hare, realizing he was tricked, goes away forever.

In this twisted version, she managed to escape, but the Hare didn't appreciate being tricked, and is still hunting her to get revenge.  She can't go back home since he knows where that is, and so she's on the run... which isn't a very happy ending, so she's been shipped off for re-education.

Bekah Boo

Hmmmm...

I rather like the idea as for one it's one of the more less known tales which in a way lends it to being a bit more creative with a few liberties here and there.
As for the twist I am all for the hare wanting to get his revenge for being tricked, as after reading this I wanted to maybe suggest that the Hare in question perhaps was able to bribe Humpty Dumpty in some way which is how the heroine found herself shipped off to the asylum, that if he can't have her no one will which successfully cuts off any ties to her escaping him again and in the end he has his own last laugh. I could even see him perhaps coming by and posing the same question again and again, either marry him or she will rot here for the rest of her life.

Buttttt that's just my thought, you can take it with a grain of salt really ;3

corvusul86

That sounds great -- I really like your idea for it.

Bekah Boo

I'm glad you like it ;3
If we can get more interested I would love to see how things play out ;3

harvey

Just finished reading "the story of a youth who went forth to learn what fear was". I loved the story and I think it would be an interesting character to play. Sadly they didn't give the main character a name.

I was Thinking about a scenario where Humpty feels unsettled by the fact that the guy from the story is unable to feel fear. A lack of fear would mean that  Humpty wouldn't be able to control him. So to avoid any potential problems  Humpty convinces people that the youth from the story is mentally ill and could cause harm to himself or others. That's just a basic idea though, I'm still looking for ways to make it darker. :)

who149

I read this a looong time ago! Back when Snafu comics was still a thing (Does it still exist?). Seems fairly interesting!
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Bekah Boo

Quote from: who149 on August 01, 2017, 01:56:10 AM
I read this a looong time ago! Back when Snafu comics was still a thing (Does it still exist?). Seems fairly interesting!

Eeeep! That's exactly where I found it at first too, a large part of my high school career was spent looking at Snafu comics ha. I'm not sure if it's still active, I haven't been back in a while.

But yes I feel like with the right group this could be quite the interesting story, with a few more persons interested I may go ahead and create an official thread for recruits and what not.

Bekah Boo

Alright folks, after much consideration I feel there may be enough interest to take this to a full interest check, so give me just a little to reconfigure everything and I will have a character sheet as well as a much more formal set of rules and guidelines for what I expect out of this. Also to help out I would love if any who are interested in perhaps helping me manage this group, two heads are better than one I say so if anyone is interested do poke me with a message ;3

Bekah Boo

The official rules and character sheet code has been added! So all those interested please message me!

corvusul86

Working on my pitch, but having trouble figuring out what the setting of Ever After is like.  I've only skimmed the comic, but it seems like a strange mix of elements, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of world the character is from.

Is it mostly modern?  With public schooling and television?  Is it mostly fairy tale/medieval, with peasants and jousts?  If there's a combination of the two, what is life like for the common person?

Bekah Boo

Quote from: corvusul86 on August 03, 2017, 09:01:53 PM
Working on my pitch, but having trouble figuring out what the setting of Ever After is like.  I've only skimmed the comic, but it seems like a strange mix of elements, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of world the character is from.

Is it mostly modern?  With public schooling and television?  Is it mostly fairy tale/medieval, with peasants and jousts?  If there's a combination of the two, what is life like for the common person?

Very good question!
And part of which I managed to forget...so I apologize for that >.<

From what I can gather it's a bit of both in regards to using technology to monitor the asylum as well as implementing magical elements in a sense. So in a way it could be considered a bit steam punk in the heavy use of mixing both olden materials as well as technology, though even that would only be used by those with either the money or connections to get such. So for the common folk they would be more or less peasants with little education aside from basic survival skills example; farming, markets, trading, blacksmiths and so on. There are magical creatures like talking animals and beasts naturally but it is considered simply how life is, those on the bottom of the ladder living poorly but enough to survive while the wealthy live in much more luxury. So outside of the wealthy and the asylum itself it would be considered olden world like that once in the asylum the patients would be greeted with devices and such the likes many probably would have never seen before, adding another layer of fear to the mix.

I hope that makes sense.

who149

Im working on a concept based around the little match girl

Ons and offs!

Bekah Boo

Bekah Boo

One character approved, so hurry while you can ;3

Dhampyress

I might bite.

I think I have a concept or two that I might mull over in the meantime. ;)

Bekah Boo

Slots are filling fast, but we are always accepting more.
So far we have three females, so we could always use some males ;3

Sephiriel

Interested in playing Mad Hatter (with a Joker-esque tint) - male and one of the abusers (if you have any roles open of that)

Bekah Boo

Message me with your concept and we can go from there, I'm rather curious ha.
And of course! The abusers ahem I mean staff are always welcome ;3

Bekah Boo

Still actively searching for a few more roles, so if anyone has questions do message me.
While not fully following the story arc of the comic I am looking for some who may not take to being confined so lightly, so overtly violent or unstable characters are always welcomed!

Deathnote

The Gambling Hansel story was freakin' hilarious.  I'm considering making a character based on him, but he shares the same name as Hansel from "Hansel and Gretal" and that Hansel is canon in Endling's webcomic.

The main character from "The Knapsack, The Hat, and The Horn" might make a great villain, though. :p

Hmm... I'm also considering The Grey Wolf from Tsarevitch Ivan, the Firebird and the Gray Wolf

who149

If no one steps up to the plate, my character can one day just get pissed off at the abuse and just kill someone. No anger, no show of emotion, just a swift kill before walking away and making the bodies pile up after being driven to a cold insanity by the cruelties of the world.

Elsewise, my char is a great abuse magnet. Doesn't cry, doesn't fightback most of the time, just takes it without expression.

Ons and offs!

Bekah Boo

Quote from: Deathnote on August 07, 2017, 09:50:18 AM
The Gambling Hansel story was freakin' hilarious.  I'm considering making a character based on him, but he shares the same name as Hansel from "Hansel and Gretal" and that Hansel is canon in Endling's webcomic.

The main character from "The Knapsack, The Hat, and The Horn" might make a great villain, though. :p

Hmm... I'm also considering The Grey Wolf from Tsarevitch Ivan, the Firebird and the Gray Wolf

Send me a concept piece and what you had in mind and we'll see what we can do ;3

Bekah Boo

Quote from: who149 on August 07, 2017, 10:43:02 AM
If no one steps up to the plate, my character can one day just get pissed off at the abuse and just kill someone. No anger, no show of emotion, just a swift kill before walking away and making the bodies pile up after being driven to a cold insanity by the cruelties of the world.

Elsewise, my char is a great abuse magnet. Doesn't cry, doesn't fightback most of the time, just takes it without expression.

Out of all the characters I expected yours at the very least to lash out, so great minds think alike ;3
I'm fine with that, as the characters will be pushed to their breaking points, in an effort to 'heal' them so there's little doubt that something like that wouldn't be common. As an added bonus the guards and nurses themselves will be quite different, so I'm sure everyone will be quite surprised for what I have in store 😈