Browser Redirecting - Malware?

Started by TheGlyphstone, May 13, 2023, 05:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Having an odd issue that I'd like to track down the root cause of, less of the specific problem and more of what it could lead to. When I go to a website in Firefox, I get a automatic redirect sending me to a page that says the domain name is expire. But when I go to that same website in Edge/Chromium, it's there just fine. I've run both an Avast antivirus scan and multiple CCleaner sweeps, and the issue persists. What else could be causing this?

Oniya

This may sound odd, but have you verified that both browsers are getting the exact same input?  As a test, type the domain name into each browser, rather than using any stored bookmarks (or mail the link to yourself and access it on each browser from the email instead of your toolbar).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Yeah - I put the same URL into the address bar in both browsers. One redirects, the other doesn't.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Cleared the cache on both, no change.

Lyrical

remove all themes/extensions/add ons and reset the browser (maybe even completely uninstall it and reinstall it?)

Vekseid

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 13, 2023, 05:08:23 PM
Having an odd issue that I'd like to track down the root cause of, less of the specific problem and more of what it could lead to. When I go to a website in Firefox, I get a automatic redirect sending me to a page that says the domain name is expire. But when I go to that same website in Edge/Chromium, it's there just fine. I've run both an Avast antivirus scan and multiple CCleaner sweeps, and the issue persists. What else could be causing this?

Possibly, the name is expired, but it remains in your local DNS cache while Firefox's DNS over TLS may have gotten the memo sooner.

You'll know for sure if the issue is resolved one way or another in a week.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lyrical on May 14, 2023, 08:13:55 AM
remove all themes/extensions/add ons and reset the browser (maybe even completely uninstall it and reinstall it?)

This appears to have worked. Thanks!

Lyrical

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2023, 05:23:29 PM
This appears to have worked. Thanks!
Glad it worked, I hope that's all that it was.

May want to run a couple different types of antivirus products (preferably something with a rootkit scanner like Avast or if someone can think of something better.. i'm no expert).

Usually those things attach themselves via a cookie or some new addon and they are more annoying than they are harmful. But better safe than sorry.