~ Picture of the Week ~ Discussion [CLOSED]

Started by Hob, November 02, 2018, 08:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hob

Welcome to our newest posters!

Glad to have you with us, Liam! Hope you enjoy yourself!

And, MrAlan, you gave us two stories for the price of one! Excellent well! (And you must have worked in a museum at some point because let me tell you, you NAILED the tour guide perfectly!)

MrAlanNH

Quote from: Justric on January 06, 2019, 01:02:30 PM
Welcome to our newest posters!

Glad to have you with us, Liam! Hope you enjoy yourself!

And, MrAlan, you gave us two stories for the price of one! Excellent well! (And you must have worked in a museum at some point because let me tell you, you NAILED the tour guide perfectly!)

Ha!  Thank you for the praise, but no, I never worked in a museum, although I have visited quite a few.

The Green One

I'm looking forward to the next image ;D

Not available for new stories

Shekinah

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I was on vacation and I missed one of my all time fav pictures *sobs*

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Hob

Quote from: Shekinah on January 07, 2019, 03:31:24 AM
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I was on vacation and I missed one of my all time fav pictures *sobs*

Which one was that?

Shekinah

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Hob

Tell you what. Since nobody wrote anything for that image at all, go for it!

MrAlanNH

Just wanted to give a shout out to Cliffspiracy and Black Mariah for their well-done contributions for the latest PotW!

Lovely Complex

Quote from: MrAlanNH on January 08, 2019, 10:01:10 AM
Just wanted to give a shout out to Cliffspiracy and Black Mariah for their well-done contributions for the latest PotW!
Thanks! ^^ Can’t wait to see the next one.

Eva

There's been some really great entries this week. It is wonderful to see so much activity. I'm planning on an entry later today if things line up for me.

Liam Dale, I really like how the calm and peace felt by the slave was mirrored in your writing.  It made it very atmospheric.

MrAlanNH, I really adored how you used the viewpoint of the Museum Guide to tell this ancient story, also slipping in some details of the current state of things along the way.  Well done. I particularly enjoyed "archaeo-divination techniques" as a delightful bit of world building.

Cliffspiracy, a delightful bit of bait and switch you played.  It would be such fun to see if this dream reoccurs and what further adventures Helena has.

Black Mariah, I love how you worked in the paper boat, that attention to detail was just splendid.

The Green One

Thank you Eva~

I'm glad you enjoyed my little story ^^

MrAlanNH

Quote from: Eva on January 08, 2019, 10:26:41 AM
    There's been some really great entries this week. It is wonderful to see so much activity. I'm planning on an entry later today if things line up for me.

Liam Dale, I really like how the calm and peace felt by the slave was mirrored in your writing.  It made it very atmospheric.

MrAlanNH, I really adored how you used the viewpoint of the Museum Guide to tell this ancient story, also slipping in some details of the current state of things along the way.  Well done. I particularly enjoyed "archaeo-divination techniques" as a delightful bit of world building.

Cliffspiracy, a delightful bit of bait and switch you played.  It would be such fun to see if this dream reoccurs and what further adventures Helena has.

Black Mariah, I love how you worked in the paper boat, that attention to detail was just splendid. [/li][/list]

Thanks Eva!

I agree with you about Mariah's inclusion of the paper boat.

I had intended the guide to mention the boat as some sort of visual metaphor by the artist but I struggled with that detail without finding a satisfactory way to include it, so in the end, I copped out and 'overlooked' it.

Looking forward to your entry!

Lovely Complex

Quote from: Eva on January 08, 2019, 10:26:41 AM

Black Mariah, I love how you worked in the paper boat, that attention to detail was just splendid. [/li][/list]
      Thanks for comment, Eva. :D And we shall see what happens.

Eva

Quote from: MrAlanNH on January 08, 2019, 10:40:43 AM

Thanks Eva!

I agree with you about Mariah's inclusion of the paper boat.

I had intended the guide to mention the boat as some sort of visual metaphor by the artist but I struggled with that detail without finding a satisfactory way to include it, so in the end, I copped out and 'overlooked' it.

Looking forward to your entry!
      That was not copping out! It was an interesting detail but one that was hard to work in. I didn't use it either!  That's why I liked that she managed it.  [/list]

MrAlanNH

A lovely painful story, Eva.  Explores both the power and the fraility of the mind.

After reading it I imagined the paper boat as a symbol of the tether anchoring her to the present slowly burning away.

Hob

Goodness!  I take a day or two off and end up coming back to all of these marvelous bursts of creativity!  You all are just... awesome! When I first envisioned this idea, this is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for: brilliant contributions and congenial conversation!

Welcome to all of our newcomers, and thank you to everyone else for welcoming them!

Eva

Quote from: MrAlanNH on January 08, 2019, 02:07:39 PM
      A lovely painful story, Eva.  Explores both the power and the fraility of the mind.

After reading it I imagined the paper boat as a symbol of the tether anchoring her to the present slowly burning away.

That is a lovely idea and one I may have to work in on revision!

MrAlanNH

Eva, regarding your Doux Chaton entry...

A nice bit of prose and a clever bit of Pull-Out-The-Rug at the end!

However, based on this story I have come to the conclusion that you must be a horrible, terrible, very bad person!

Those poor kitteh floofs!

Eva

Quote from: MrAlanNH on January 10, 2019, 12:33:57 PM
      Eva, regarding your Doux Chaton entry...

A nice bit of prose and a clever bit of Pull-Out-The-Rug at the end!

However, based on this story I have come to the conclusion that you must be a horrible, terrible, very bad person!

Those poor kitteh floofs!

Thank you for your kind words. I am indeed a horrible person, I make no excuses for it.

The look on the man's face, the squalling kitten, the story really just told itself.  As bad as the kitten story is, I think this one is me being even crueler.  We were given three words and told to write a Halloween story of 500 words or less. I avoided horror and went right for the heart.

The Green One

OMG Justric, that new image is amazing!

Hob

Quote from: Liam Dale on January 10, 2019, 08:52:51 PM
      OMG Justric, that new image is amazing!

That one has been sitting in my collection for a bit, just waiting to be used. Glad you like!

For those wanting to see the latest image:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=295640.msg14622248#msg14622248

Black Mariah

Thank you for everyone's shout outs and kind comments on last weeks attempt! Looking forward to writing this weeks tonight :)
      Bite me.

Hob

Oooo, and it looks like we're off to another great start with the latest pic!

MrAlanNH

Hopefully folks will be able to use a computer to view my entry; I happened to look at it on my phone and the formatting looks all wonky there, probably because I used tables for some lines to get the spacing right.

Also, I would love to get some feedback/criticism, I was trying for a certain effect and want to see how well it comes across.   

I haven't done any poetry crafting in a long time (probably back in my early 20s, about mumblemumble years ago), so I'm a little anxious about this attempt.

Eva

MrAlanNH It actually looked fine on my phone when I stumbled upon it today.  I just took a longer look at it just now on a computer and the larger screen made it more enjoyable.  I thought the poem as well as the formatting were very appealing and added to the punch of it.  Nicely done, poetry is always such a lovely challenge.

abandoneddolly I though the mention of grinding bones was a lovely, sensory touch.