News:

Main Menu

Gaming

Started by Abyss, April 24, 2024, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abyss

Hey there! While waiting for the approval process, I wondered what you all think of today's gaming industry.

Tuttle

Now this is a good question! I personally love BG3 and would happily just donate more money to the developers if they asked for it, same with Hell Divers actually. Beyond that, however, I find a lot of the new stuff is tedious, horrible, and I hate, repeat HATE, the constant DLC grind you see in anything from EA Games, or even the Total War series. I suffer it in City Skylines only because I love building things.

I am really hoping we get a good Castle Builder game since the only decent one at the moment is Valheim.

What about yourself?
"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Winston Churchill

Abyss

I couldn't agree more with you. I loved BG3 and, at one point, was addicted to it. I am a bit worried about the gaming industry because it caters to a small minority instead of the tons of ordinary people who want to play a good game that isn't plagued by political agendas, ideologies, etc. I miss when games were made with heart and passion and weren't some quick cash grab. I find myself returning to older games since most games are just incomplete garbage. 

Tuttle

That's a good point. There's been a bit of a break from the "lets just have fun" to going a bit overboard here and there. I'm hoping BG3 starts a trend rather than the opposite and we get some epic style games!
"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Winston Churchill

Abyss

Quote from: Tuttle on April 26, 2024, 12:10:06 AMThat's a good point. There's been a bit of a break from the "lets just have fun" to going a bit overboard here and there. I'm hoping BG3 starts a trend rather than the opposite and we get some epic style games!
Same! What platform do you play on?

Tuttle

PC for me. I've also got a Ninetendo Switch, but that's for MarioKart. Though, funny enough, I write and do my personal business on a Macbook. No loyalty club points for me I guess.

Yourself?

Abyss

Oh, nice! I am primarily on PC, but I hop on my PS5 here and there. I also have a switch, but that barely sees the light of day, lol.

Tuttle

It's the only gaming system my partner will join me on, so it's a small price to pay to have them enjoying the same things I do. There is obviously room for only one on a PC, and it's gunna be me!

Abyss

Lol xD I feel that. What have you done in BG3?

Tuttle

I've done one full play through, took me 93 hours, and started a couple more but I have spent waaaaay to much time in Act 1 now and can't redo it again.

Whats been your favourite companion quest line so far?

Abyss

Mine has been Astarion's quest line. Its really fun. Yours?

Tuttle

I really like Shadowheart. It has so many facets to it that I enjoy, a pretty satisfying part in Act 2 I won't ruin for you if you haven't played it through. I found Astarion to be pretty much like Lestat from Interview with a Vampire and I can't stand either of them. Though I do have a built in hatred of Vampires period, so that might not help.

Abyss

I loved Shadowheart's quest as well! I beat the game months ago and started a different character a while ago. Unfortunately, I lost my desire to play the game. 

Tuttle

That's basically what happened to me too! Damn shame. Though, some friends and I are talking a multi-player effort to get through.

Abyss

Oh, nice! My friend and I were supposed to do the second playthrough together, but he also lost interest. 

Oniya

So, this is more to do with your initial question, but - What do y'all think about the whole 'microtransactions everywhere' thing?  I'll admit that I put in stupid amounts of hours on any single game (which means that I don't end up buying multiple games), but 'pay to win' irritates me to no end.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Abyss

I feel the same way. Now, if it's purely cosmetic, I am okay with it. That's as far as I can tolerate.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on April 27, 2024, 07:55:36 PMSo, this is more to do with your initial question, but - What do y'all think about the whole 'microtransactions everywhere' thing?  I'll admit that I put in stupid amounts of hours on any single game (which means that I don't end up buying multiple games), but 'pay to win' irritates me to no end.
I do love the story from the whole Diablo Immortal thing where a player paid an OBSCENE amount of money to have a character that was above everyone else's in the game to the point where matchmaking wouldn't match him with anyone. He then proceeded to complain. 

And I read that and commented, "My guy, you did it. You paid to win. You won, go home." 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Abyss

Bruh xD I can't believe I never stumbled into that article.

Tuttle

Micro-transactions are the worst!! That said, I have certainly payed for DLC on occasion so I am guilty. Though, not a pay to play like buying great kit in WoW or that sort of thing.

Abyss

I have always wanted to try WoW, but I have never found anyone to play it with..

Tuttle

Most the folk I played with I met online, so there could be hope yet! I was part of an RP/PVE server and we ran a guild called the IronForge Regiment. It was in character at all times, Dwarf and Gnome only, and we WRECKED the Horde. It was a ton of fun. For some reason RP died out hard on WoW and I left the game since I enjoyed that way more than actual questing.

Abyss

Oh, man. Maybe I will look for groups later on. I want to watch some current gameplay to know what to expect, more or less. 

Tuttle

There is so much grinding! So much...

Abyss

RedPhoenix

I don't really pay much attention to the larger gaming industry, I just know there are a few games I really love. Baldur's Gate 3, Crusader Kings 3, and Civ 6.

I only play games that are a multiple of 3 apparently.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Abyss

Lol, nice! How far are you in BG3, Phoenix?

RedPhoenix

I've played through from start to end once, and started a second game. Although playing from start to end you still miss as ton of stuff so there's lots to do over and over and still see new things!

Abyss

Nice! Do you play on PC?

RedPhoenix

Abyss

Oh, nice! If you ever want a second person to join, I am down.

RedPhoenix

Appreciated but I play way too slow and way too randomly to try doing anything with a partner! :)

Abyss

Brittlby

On my second play thru Bg3. 

True to form, my second play is ALWAYS evil/renegade. Nice of them to give me the dark urge option this time around!!!

Previously was running with a Gale, Karlach and Shadowheart team with a bard/rogue. 

This time going Astarion, Minthara and… evil Shadowheart, with a fighter/barbarian. 

… it’s eaten so much of my time. -_- worth it!
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

RedPhoenix

My first playthrough was my tiefling Monk with Karlach, Wyll, and Shadowheart sort of by default because I either missed or screwed up every other companion. :D

My second playthrough is as Lae'zel! Honor mode is scary. >.<

I haven't really thought about being evil. My tiefling was kinda a trash panda but not really evil!

Abyss

Quote from: Brittlby on April 28, 2024, 05:56:31 PMOn my second play thru Bg3.

True to form, my second play is ALWAYS evil/renegade. Nice of them to give me the dark urge option this time around!!!

Previously was running with a Gale, Karlach and Shadowheart team with a bard/rogue.

This time going Astarion, Minthara and… evil Shadowheart, with a fighter/barbarian.

Oh, nice! I always start evil, lol. I chose the dark urge and my team had Astarion, Laezel, Shadowheart, and my friend. 

Tuttle

Quote from: Brittlby on April 28, 2024, 05:56:31 PMOn my second play thru Bg3.

I tried an Evil playthrough but was just to evil I guess. I ended up dying alone in the Underdark, abandoned by my companions and unable to over come the enemies around me...

Beyond that, I usually play a good character. I tried a playthrough as a "Oh so Holy Paladin" and it did NOT go well either.