News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Revelation on September 05, 2023, 10:28:35 AM
Oh man, that sister superior rules. Definitely some inspiration for me since I'll be painting sisters soon.

Thank you!

Puppet D

I haven't done any war gaming or mini painting since my partner who got me into the hobby passed earlier this year, but I'm trying to get back into the hobbies I loved and seeing all ya'll's awesome photos is such an inspiration. Here's the best I had completed, Alarielle the Everqueen for my Sylvaneth AoS army. 😊 Her beetle is painted with a blue-green color shift paint.

My Queen

O/Os ~ A/As ~
"To her you're just a play thing;
she'll make you out to be a king,
then set fire to your throne."
- Phar West Nagle

Numerion

Quote from: Puppet D on September 05, 2023, 01:52:53 PM
I haven't done any war gaming or mini painting since my partner who got me into the hobby passed, but I'm trying to get back into the hobbies I loved and seeing all ya'll's awesome photos is such an inspiration. Here's the best I had completed, Alarielle the Everqueen for my Sylvaneth AoS army. 😊 Her beetle is painted with a blue-green color shift paint.

My Queen

OOOh that is amazing! Love how vibrant she is. Good job!
Current status: looking for play -> A/A

Puppet D

Quote from: Numerion on September 05, 2023, 01:54:32 PM

OOOh that is amazing! Love how vibrant she is. Good job!

Thanks!! 😊 When I get the army out of their box, I'll share my others. I had a fun time trying to find different ways to paint trees. Lol
O/Os ~ A/As ~
"To her you're just a play thing;
she'll make you out to be a king,
then set fire to your throne."
- Phar West Nagle

GolGol

Painted this handsome chap not too long ago. Hope you guys like the result.

My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Andol

I just finished all of these boys... tried to make a big of an action scene with my Protomechs being supported by Elementals riding them into combat or using their jump packs next to them. Battletech Protomechs are metal minis, and the Elementals next to them are plastic. I had to pop ten Elementals off two bases by cutting up said bases and using the freeze method to make the glue brittle before I could place them onto the Protomech bases as decoration. 

Pockets

Quote from: Revelation on August 27, 2023, 01:36:11 PMHello! I realize this is a slightly unused topic, but I am getting into miniature painting proper. My first few minis have been awful and I don't feel they should be posted, but I may one day when I feel braver. This is more of a question, has anyone used the new speedpaints by army painter? I know there are a lot of video reviews and I have watched a few, but I am curious about amateur opinions. I'm especially curious about the metallics.

Don't worry about how they look. The hobby is all about having fun. No one just picks up a brush for the first time and cranks out a Golden Demon winning paint job. It takes time and practice. I haven't tried the new Army Painter Speed paints, I have used the new Contrast line and the new Vallejo Xpress colors line. Both of which are phenomenal. But I feel that to make the best of them (Personal opinion here, so let's agree to disagree if you don't like mine.) you should treat them like glazes. This prevents pooling and awkward splotchiness. A lot of videos will show people just slapping it on and letting it dry, which leaves a questionable paint job IMO. I've found that to get the best out of them, I prime with Pro-acryl Dark Neutral Grey primer then do a zenithal with Pro-Acryl white primer from whatever angle I want to establish the light source then use the contrast/speedpaint/xpress color/transparent.

But seeing as I don't know what you're really painting with, I know you mentioned P3, Vallejo Game Color, and Citadel in another post but you should really look into the Pro-Acryl paint line by Monument Hobbies. No, I'm not affiliated with them and I don't make any money by suggesting them. But they are phenomenal paints by phenomenal people. The paints can be used straight from the bottle without thinning (though it is suggested) and give great coverage. It's a rather small paint range all things considered but the 22ml for about the same price as what everyone else is charging for 12/18ml makes it one of the best ranges in my opinion. Their Bold Titanium White is simply, hands down, no argument hobby white on the market.

Another good range is one you've mentioned, which is the Vallejo Game Color range (New formula). But I'd also look into their  Model Air Metallics Steel which has probably the best coverage for a steel colored metallic on the market.

For brushes, I've always used Raphael 8404 Size 1 for my daily driver and a Raphael 8404 Size 2 for base coats and wash applications. And cheap synthetics for metallics, enamels, and oils. I've heard good things about Rosemary and Co brushes but I haven't found a place that sells them. And the one place that did wanted like double the cost of the brush for shipping alone, so no thanks. If you can't find the Raph's on Amazon, check out Jackson Art Supply.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Numerion

I have recently finished a mini I am sort of proud of. It features different colours than I usually use but is still within my "vibrant wheelhouse"

Current status: looking for play -> A/A