Denai Academy (Superpowers/Academy/Anime) [Recruiting!]

Started by AidenWhite, October 23, 2016, 05:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AidenWhite

Denai Academy

Welcome to Denai Academy! The entire faculty would like to greet you, the esteemed members joining this magnificent academy, with open arms. As a result of the recent political change, Denai Academy is now accepting the super-powered individuals, commonly known as Abnormals! However, we, the faculty, of this esteemed school do not like the connotation of this name and as such we will not be allowing this word on campus. Several changes responding to this change will take place but more will be said during orientation on the first day of class. We would like to once again welcome you to...
-Excerpt from the academy's brochure

About the Game

This game revolves around students having super powers interacting with those without. The game has a modern setting, set in Japan, and the academy itself will be located near a rather large city which will allow the students to be able to go out of school premises during their free time. The city Denai is a half hour walk by foot but there will also be a bus system running every hour. The city is fictional (at least it should be.)

The academy itself was originally just for normal people without powers (Normals) and the people with powers (Abnormals) had their own specialized schools. After a massive change in the National Diet, a new progressive leader was chosen to lead the country. The new leader abolished these specialized schools and Abnormals were spread out to the normal schools, all of this in an attempt to get rid of the alienating nature of the Normals towards Abnormals.

Denai Academy is obviously one of the many schools undergoing these changes. One important change is that instead of there being one headmaster for the entire student body, there are two. One responsible for the Normals and the other responsible for the Abnormals. This division of power makes sure that there will not be any prejudice towards Abnormals.

Origin of the Powers

The origin of these powers has been a piece of knowledge that has been sought after ever since the Renaissance and the encouragement of science and free-thinking was at its highest. Today, scientists have been able to theorize that the powers came from a meteor shower that had occurred over 700 years ago. This caused a mutation to happen in the DNA of some individuals who were exposed to residue from the meteors themselves. It is theorized that while the meteor shower could be seen from many places, only the area where the meteor shower passed closest to had this strange effect, thought to be East Asia. The meteor residue itself did not directly affect humans but rather their progeny, the effect on the progeny of these individuals was not found in records for about a century after the event. Scientists theorize that: 1) the mutation was rare and therefore not seen by many, 2) the mutation did not advance right away and took time for there to be a noticeable effect, such as the powers that are seen today, or 3) the powers were hidden out of fear of being killed. Whatever the reason was, scientists can at least agree on the fact that the mutation has been steadily advancing in its' effect over time. Still, as scientists uncover more about the origin and knowledge of the powers, more questions keep getting raised.

Current Situation

News channels reported prejudice towards Abnormals every other week, protests concerning inequality towards Abnormals occur and online, rumors of secret human experiments on Abnormals are spread. This is a difficult age for Abnormals as they represent a minority but there are too many of them to not get noticed. The initial hate stemmed from multiple acts of violence from criminal Abnormals, causing the fear that government and life as they knew could be toppled if the Abnormals banded together. As a result, specialized schools were created and heavily moderated. Curfews for Abnormals were set in some cities and Abnormals had their own neighborhoods that were heavily moderated. Jobs were assigned to Abnormals that did not go to school that aligned with the powers they had. Every citizen was given a card that would function as a bank card, ID, public transportation card and a multitude of other uses. Abnormals had red cards while the Normals had green cards. Every citizen was required to have this card on their person at all times.

Then the political change occurred and within a year, noticeable signs of improvements in the conditions of the Abnormals were seen. However, the hate still remained in some Normals, even to the point that some theorize that the new Prime Minister and National Diet overthrew the old leaders which caused this change. 

Since the city nearby was open and there will be interactions between Abnormals and Normals, I wanted to add a bit of background to give more color to the story. I want to quickly note that just because you're Normal doesn't mean that you have to detest or fear Abnormals and the same goes in reverse. This is all to the discretion of the writer. However, I will be playing various characters, some Abnormal, others Normal, and especially if your character goes into the city, there will occasionally be some friction. I won't stress too much on this since this is all meant to be fun, but I just thought this would be a cool dynamic in a game.

Anyways, on to the important stuff that you actually care about: the character sheet!

[b]Name:[/b] (Your character's name, obviously)
[b]Age:[/b] (Your characters age)
[b]Year:[/b] (First year, Second, Third)
[b]Sex:[/b] (AKA Gender)
[b]Orientation:[/b] (Sexual orientation of your character i.e straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc.
[b]Background:[/b] (Your character's history)
[b]Power:[/b] (Your character's power and any specifics i.e. super strength)
[b]Drawback:[/b] (Your character's drawback to their power i.e. after using the super strength ability your character becomes unable to lift something light like a spoon)
[b]Clubs Interested In:[/b] (This is a way for me to group together common selections and create them or you can state whether or not you'd like to create it IC. Realize that the latter is first come first serve and there needs to be at least another person interested in joining that club)

RULES
I. First and foremost, be respectful to your fellow writers.
II. If you are unable to post for an extended period of time or lose interest with the game, please inform everyone via the OOC or a PM to me.
III. No drama in the OOC over anything, drama IC = good, drama OOC = very bad
IV. If you are writing with someone or write a post that involves another person, please read the most recent posts of that person as to avoid missing a critical detail that would cause an issue OOC (and IC for that matter)
V. No godmodding
VI. Don't skip a person's turn to post unless they've given explicit permission to do so IN THE OOC.
VII. Follow all of Elliquiy's guidelines and rules.

There might be more rules later if need be.

NOTE: I am hesitant about laying down a time limit for posting. Everyone knows (I hope) and respects (I really hope) that REAL LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ROLEPLAY. There might be a time where you are unable to post and it's out of your hands and there's nothing you can do about it. I respect that and everyone here respects that. However, as I've stated previously, if such a situation occurs, please do me, your fellow writers and yourself the privilege of letting everyone know when something like this happens in the OOC or at least send me a PM so I can let everyone know that they can move on.

However, you might be in the middle of a scene! What happens then?! Well, sorry to say, but that scene would have to be dropped and resolved OOC between the parties involved. If you're with a group of people, your character could've quickly left in a hurry and as such the first person to post after skipping your turn would have to note this and come up with a reason as to why your character left (or you could make a short post since this is one of the only reasons I will allow a really short post)

This is to keep the game rolling and avoid becoming stagnant.

Here's an FAQ for you all!

FAQ
I’m going to try to preempt some questions but I am not omnipotent so feel free to ask any question you do not see in this FAQ or if you need clarification

Q. Are we using real-life models as our characters or anime models?
A. Definitely anime models, mainly for the reason that there are plenty of them to work with and with a ton of variety for which ever one you pick

Q. How do you feel about transfer students from foreign countries?
A. It should be fine as long as it doesn’t get out of hand and 70% of the player base is all from France. It adds some variety and lets people play a culture they’re interested in or more comfortable with since Japanese culture can be confusing at some times (much like any other culture that isn’t your own). Oh, and foreign students can have powers.

Q. How hard are the downsides going to be? Do they seriously affect how that person can act throughout the RP, or is it a simple weakness in their abilities?
A. The weakness is up to the discretion of the player as long as it's reasonable. For example: a character has super strength and they can use it for a period of time of their choosing up to a certain point but after the time limit, they become unable to lift up something light like a spoon. Something like that.

Q. Will we be roleplaying classes?
A. Usually no, scenes involving classrooms will probably take place before and after class, but if there is an upcoming event that requires there to be an in-class scene, then so be it.

Q. Will we be able to roleplay teachers?
A. Teachers are mainly going to be plot devices, i.e. when an event comes around and it needs explaining or there's a rare class IC session. So there won't be many opportunities to use a teacher character. So, no, no teacher characters.

Q. How are the living arrangements?
A. I’ve been mulling over this and I have come to the tentative decision that there will be both dormitories and outside the school living arrangements. I want this game to not be super-restrictive but be controllable, so I kindly ask those that choose to live outside of the school to pay attention and not get left behind since that sucks for every party involved. Whether you live on your own or have parent(s) is up to your own discretion, but again please be careful.

Q. How are the dorms like?
A. Two huge buildings, one for each gender (since the headmasters take no tomfoolery from anyone). Everyone will have the option to either live on their own or with another character. Each building has several suites equipped with a bathroom, a bedroom (number of beds depending whether or not it is a single or double suite), a decently sized living room (comfortable for 3-4 people, tight for 6 or more) and a small kitchen (small stove, microwave, and a sink/counter-type deal).

Q. Are there any writing requirements?
A. I, and I would wager most of the other players, would appreciate it if everyone could write at least two well-written paragraphs. I don’t mean to sound snooty but I want everyone to be able to write and have enough to work with. I’ve been in the scenario where I have to respond to a two sentence post and there is nothing to work with. A post should have more than what the other person said and what you said. How is your character feeling? What is your character thinking? How does your character feel about the person he/she is talking to? So on, so forth. Other than that, check your grammar and give your post a once-over for any confusing typos. I’m not too anal about grammar as long as I and the person or group of people you’re writing with understand what you wrote.

As a final note, thanks for your interest and a loud applause for you if you managed to read all of that.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them here or to PM me. As for your CS, please PM them to me, I don't want to clutter this thread too much and it's easier to organize a thread for all the character sheets if they are PM'd to me.
My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

FarFetched

s

AidenWhite

Feel free to add a Personality section to the sheet if you want, I didn't want to add it because sometimes it's a difficult field to fill for some. I know a few people, including myself sometimes, where they know how their character will act, but they can't exactly put it down in words, you know?

However, if you wish, I'll invite anyone that wants to put a personality section in the sheet to do so. Sorry if that seems a bit lazy ^^
My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

FarFetched

King Serperior

I've been giving my character concept some thought and I think I have a new idea:  An Abnormal who has the powers of rapid-self healing along the lines of Wolverine.  However, because her body's DNA is unstable, her gender is constantly in flux from male and female (no in-between, sorry Futa fans!).  I just need to figure out how to make it so she randomly changes at the most awkward times.  >.>

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Angel Fire

Maybe some sort of emotion would trigger the sex change?  It could be embarrassment or maybe nervousness?  it definitely would make things very awkward for sure.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: King Serperior on October 23, 2016, 01:42:07 PM
...  I just need to figure out how to make it so she randomly changes at the most awkward times.  >.>

D'uuh. If you want him/her to change at awkward times you have the change happen at awkward times.

Why make up a reason beforehand and restrict yourself?

And yes, I am serious. As long as it makes for good storytelling you have it happen because of good storytelling. And that might very well be just that.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

FarFetched

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 23, 2016, 02:38:27 PM
D'uuh. If you want him/her to change at awkward times you have the change happen at awkward times.

And yes, I am serious. As long as it makes for good storytelling you have it happen because of good storytelling. And that might very well be just that.

How does that saying go?
"Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating."

Wolfy

Quote from: King Serperior on October 23, 2016, 01:42:07 PM
I've been giving my character concept some thought and I think I have a new idea:  An Abnormal who has the powers of rapid-self healing along the lines of Wolverine.  However, because her body's DNA is unstable, her gender is constantly in flux from male and female (no in-between, sorry Futa fans!).  I just need to figure out how to make it so she randomly changes at the most awkward times.  >.>

I want to daaaaaate her/him. xD Miiine! xD

FarFetched

Almost done with my charqcter.

By the way, if anyone can find a character with white hair, a scoolgirl outfit, and solid blue, monochromatic eyes, I'm on the hunt!

Angel Fire

Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

Saria

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 23, 2016, 02:38:27 PM

I don't know if making up a reason is necessarily restricting yourself. Quite the contrary, it could open up even more fun storytelling possibilities than just "it happens when it happens".

For example, if you said being splashed with water causes the switch (such as in Ranma), now you've opened up the possibility of hilarious awkwardness from a rainy day... or having to be wary of sprinkler schedules... or freaking out at the sight of a water gun. You've also opened up the possibility of a third party deliberately soaking the character at an inopportune time: "What's that? You dating my man in your girl form in a skimpy, sexy dress? Take this! *splash*" (Or imagine being in the girl's locker room, changing, when someone as a prank splashes water, and you get caught by it....)

I'd say picking the right trigger opens the door to a lot more fun than just making it a random plot mechanic. You can always have spontaneous changes anyway, on top of that - or by emotion or stress or whatever. But having that trigger creates drama and comedy in a way that randomness does not.

You just need to pick a trigger that's not ubiquitous, but not so rare that you won't run into it by accident. It could be like the sound of a bell, or a "magic word", or something like that.
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

FarFetched

Wolfy

Snip!

Angel Fire

Hi Wolfy!  Aiden asked if you can PM him the character sheets in his intro post here.

My Character sheet is completed and approved so if any of y'all wish to see mine, I'll gladly PM them to you if you wish.

FarFetched

Alright, I sent mine in. Of course, a moment after I sent it I realized a typo or two, but the point of the story got across. I can't wait to share her with you guys!

King Serperior

Quote from: Saria on October 23, 2016, 03:36:51 PM
I don't know if making up a reason is necessarily restricting yourself. Quite the contrary, it could open up even more fun storytelling possibilities than just "it happens when it happens".

For example, if you said being splashed with water causes the switch (such as in Ranma), now you've opened up the possibility of hilarious awkwardness from a rainy day... or having to be wary of sprinkler schedules... or freaking out at the sight of a water gun. You've also opened up the possibility of a third party deliberately soaking the character at an inopportune time: "What's that? You dating my man in your girl form in a skimpy, sexy dress? Take this! *splash*" (Or imagine being in the girl's locker room, changing, when someone as a prank splashes water, and you get caught by it....)

I'd say picking the right trigger opens the door to a lot more fun than just making it a random plot mechanic. You can always have spontaneous changes anyway, on top of that - or by emotion or stress or whatever. But having that trigger creates drama and comedy in a way that randomness does not.

You just need to pick a trigger that's not ubiquitous, but not so rare that you won't run into it by accident. It could be like the sound of a bell, or a "magic word", or something like that.
Now that is genius!  I'll keep thinking on it, but being splashed by water would be entertaining.   ;D

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Angel Fire

Quote from: King Serperior on October 23, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Now that is genius!  I'll keep thinking on it, but being splashed by water would be entertaining.   ;D

Or extreme temperature changes could trigger the change.  That would be sort of comedic since my girl can't control her sparking fire power yet. *Winks*

Sephora

Consider me interested!  Working on a profile now.  ^^

FarFetched

Annnd my character has been accepted!

If you haven't seen what I had planned for her in the other thread, she's a student with "Kami no me", or "Eyes of the Divine". She sees stuff; too much stuff. So much stuff, she has to blind herself just live normally.  I've decided to call her Shika Megumi. "Shika" is a shortening of "Shikaku," or "Vision" in Japanese. "Megumi" directly translates to "Blessed," so her full name is "Vision Blessed".

Send me a PM if you'd like a gander before Aiden has a chance to put up the Char-sheet thread, and we can talk possible character interaction!

King Serperior

Well, I've sent my character in.  Here's hoping my character is accepted.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Crash

Would a gestalt character work? A set of twins that have minor powers on they own but can merge together to combine their powers?  Together their power would be on pair with other students but apart they would not be as powerful?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

King Serperior

And Alex/Alexis Crossroad has been accepted!  Feel free to send a PM my way if you want a sneak peak and possibly want to talk character connections.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace