Survival Island (NC)

Started by Maegan, February 10, 2011, 03:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maegan

This may be a silly idea, and is only half-formed at the moment, but I thought I would see if there was any interest. 

The general premise is that a small island has been rented by an organization as part of a newer, more edgy, reality series provided over the internet.  The contestants are paid a fraction of a $100,000 pot for every day they spent on the island, the amount they earn is dependent upon the number of contestants on the island.  They can leave at anytime by using a safeword, however, once the safe word is spoken they are immediately taken off the island and cannot return to compete again.  To encourage people to leave, a group of criminals have been given free reign to do as they please as long as they honour the use of the safe word, don't kill anyone, and don't cause any severe permanent injury.  The contestants however have free reign to fight back however they like, up to and including killing a criminal.

I'm curious how much interest there would be, and how people would suggest running it.  I wouldn't want it to be completely focused on sex and such, though obviously that will be a major part, but would like to see people working in groups against each other, or helping each other.  Fortifying a building, fighting back with improvised weapons, etc.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to keep it fair between people, my best thought being the nWoD mortal rules, though I don't like limiting the playerbase by using a commercial ruleset.  I suppose I could try to come up with a simple ruleset of my own.

AurelieCatena

Yes, great idea! I would be interested to play one of the female survivors.

As for the system, keep it simple.

Muse

An excellent idea. 

The story sounds like fun, and the system you propose seems to me to play VERY easily on the net. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Visna

subrob99

Sounds fun. It will be the not made for tv version of survior.

Maegan

Survival Island!  The newest reality series from the makers of Prison Riot and Lost Hiker.  How will contestants fair on a remote island populated by the worst criminals that society has to offer?  Will they prevail to win the ten million dollar jackpot?  Or will they flee before the first rainfall!  Tune in to see!  Monthly subscriptions to Survival Island are only $199.99!

The Rules of Survival Island

Survival Island is divided in seasons of one month each, the contestant with the highest cash total at the end of the season will receive a cash bonus of no less than $10,000,000!

Each day, contestants will compete for a share of a $50,000 pot.  Will they work together?  Or backstab and infight to try and force others to leave?

Rescuing another contestant from the foul grasp of the criminals will earn a contestant a bonus of between five and fifty thousand!  Will contestants risk it all for the chance to improve their standing?

Small metal chits have been hidden throughout the island, and given to the various criminals roaming around.  Each chit can be exchanged for equipment on a ship located offshore!  Of course, signaling said ship can attract unwanted attention.  Any chit a person carries when they leave the island is additionally worth a bonus of $2500!

A contestant can leave the island at any time by saying the phrase "Beam Me Up!" or, if they are unable to talk, by lifting the pinky and middle finger on each hand at the same time.  However, once they have left, their cash standing is locked in and they cannot return to compete again. 

The Criminals

We have recruited criminals from prisons around the world and let them loose on Survival Island!  Although they will not kill or maim contestants, they have free rein to do whatever else they please. 

The criminals are working off sentences ranging from twenty-five years to life, but are willing to risk it all for a chance to lessen their sentence.  While contestants can and will kill criminals, any that survives for ten seasons will be given a chance at an early parole!

The System

Below are are my thoughts for the system.  Questions, comments, and criticisms are more than welcome, since I'm sure there are problems with it. 

To keep contests between players fair, the outcome will be determined using a one hundred sided roll. 

Name:
Appearance:
Background:
Advantage:
Disadvantage
Skill 1:
Skill 2:

The character's occupation determines a general range of skills that the character has.  Any skill that can be reasonable justified as being covered by the occupation can be rolled with a 60% chance of success.

The character's skill 1 and skill 2 are what they are an expert at, and can be rolled with an 80% of success.

Any other roll has a 20% chance of success.

An Advantage is something about a character that improves their chances with certain skills.  Athletic, Good Eyesight, etc.  It increases the chance of related skills by +10%

A disadvantage is something about a character that decreases their chances iwth certain skills.  Overweight, Blind without Glasses, Unlucky, etc.  It decreases the chance of related skills by -10%

The winner of a contested roll is determined by who exceeds their roll by a greater amount.  So if player A rolls an 79 on an 80%, and player B rolls a 55 on a 60%, player B will will as they beat their chances by 5 points instead of 1. 

Note: Rolls are ONLY required for actions that may influence other players.  Crafting a weapon, sneaking, attacking, etc.

The Island

I will try to get a crude map up at some point.

---

Any thoughts or comments?

AurelieCatena

I'm increasingly interested. I think this could make a great RP!

The System sounds very good too. Simple and flexible.

One note though, about opposed rolls. To my eyes, it seems that the most logical would be to say that the one with the highest roll that is still lower than his skill wins. 45/50 is better than 30/80, 70/80 is better than 40/50, but 2/50 is better than 85/80 (because the second one fails).

It makes sense to me that someone with a skill at 80 has 30% more chances to win. And it is easier to determine too.

Just my two cents.

Maegan

Ah, hmm.  I think we may be thinking of the same goal with different methods.  By idea with the difference method was that the person with the greater chance of success would have a larger chance of winning, since they could achieve a greater difference. 

If the person with 60% chance rolled a 1.  (59 difference)  The person with a 80% chance could beat them by rolling anything from 1 to 20 (79 to 60 difference).

Though I may be missing something, since math isn't my strongest suit :P

Sethala

It's the same probability either way, however Aurelie's proposal is odd because it means the "desired" number changes depending on the skill percentage, whereas Maegan's system always prefers as low a number as possible.  I say stick with Maegan's system, because while it may take slightly more math to use, it's easier to figure out what happens if both characters fail (i.e. the person with an 80% rolls an 85 and the person with a 60% rolls a 70, the 80% person "wins" since they both failed, just one didn't fail by as much... though the actual results may be different than if both had succeeded.)  You could do the same thing with the other system, but it means the math changes depending on if you succeeded or failed.

Whoops... got so caught up on math that I forgot to post the rest of this...

I'm interested in playing.  I'll likely be one of the lovely ladies that's come to "visit" the island.  I'll come up with a bit more detail later.

AurelieCatena

Yes, I believe it's the same. My was is just more straightforward. You must always roll the highest number, without exceeding your score.

In my mind if both fail, they just do that: fail. Nothing happens and they start again (or change their tactic).

Sethala

How would you decide the outcome if it's impossible for both characters to fail, however?

For example, one person trying to sneak by the other unnoticed.  It would be the first person's stealth vs the other's perception.  If both succeed, then whoever succeeds more "wins" obviously (if the first person wins, she sneaks by without being seen, if the second wins, he spots her), and if one person succeeds and the other fails, it's also obvious, but what happens if both fail?  If both failing means that she's spotted, that just means the second person succeeded.  If it means she sneaks by, it means the first person succeeded.

You could say that whoever initiated the action fails and the other person's result is irrelevant in that case, however there might be a problem where it's impossible for both to fail and neither character (or both) initiated it; I can't think of an example right now but I'm sure there could be one.

I'm sorry if I'm getting a bit too rules-lawyery about this, it's just that if we're playing with a system, I prefer to have as many special circumstances anticipated as possible.

Maegan

I would probably just have them reroll, or come up with something that fits the circumstances.  Such as one person hearing the other, but mistaking it for something else or thinking it came from a different direction. 

I'll probably go with Aurelie's method for rolling, since it is easier :P

yesiroleplay

Intriguing game concept here.  And an interesting mechanic.
Mathematically equivalent to all the above (except that it provides no possibly of 'double failure'  is a high number wins on opposed d% + modifier rolls.

1(roll) + 80(ability) loses to 32(roll) + 50(ability), as 82 is more than 81.  Very simple mathematically, and if you want to eliminate the possibility of ties you make a tie breaker rule saying "luck trumps ability"  and the highest die roll wins.

Anyway - excuse my intrusion as I don't think I have time to play this game.

Sethala

Fair enough.  I'm not terribly attached to any one particular system, I just don't like playing Calvinball.

AurelieCatena

I hope this very interesting concept is not going to be stopped by silly considerations about the system.

I'll be more than happy to play, whatever the system!

Sethala

Agreed, and I'm curious what happened to Maegan.  This definitely looks like it would be fun, regardless of what system were to be used...

Maegan

I'm still about, just very busy at the moment.  Hopefully the game will still get off the ground, though it may be a few days before I have the time to devote to properly write everything up. 

xanthian

This game looks very interesting. I'm up for it.
It does't matter if you can't run faster than some other guy, as long as you can run faster than yourself 6 months ago.

I've been asked what it's like to have Bipolar Disorder. I always tell them, 'It has its ups and downs'.

Eliza

I as well. Did a Deserted Island RP a while back, though not like this RP. I'm interested. Should we start submitting players?