You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 12:07:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Champions Online F2P - who's trying it?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline KaylaMTopic starter

Champions Online F2P - who's trying it?
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »
I played CO back when it was first released and I was, well, rather disspointed in it to say the least. I liked the character creation engine, but I found that the "fun" ended once you got into the game proper. Certainly I knew I couldn't justify spending my money to keep playing a game I wasn't really enjoying.

However, with the move to Free to Play, I'm considering giving it another try. Certainly, as it stands, it's not only a price I can afford, but at the very least I get a cool character creation screen. And who knows, with all the supposed improvments that have occured over the last year (and the added stress of not paying for it), It might be a lot more fun.

So is anyione else going to be trying the CO F2P? Or is there anyone playing the game at the moment? One of the things that bothered me was how little I felt involved in the CO community, and I'm certainly hoping to change that a second time around.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Champions Online F2P - who's trying it?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
I might take a look at it. I used to play City of Heros / Villains, and it was fun. Champions I never tried.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
While I'm loathe to link to other forums on a forum, if you're interested in getting into Champions Online's RP community, you could do worse than to take a look around the CORP forum for starters.

Not very "adult-oriented" in their RP, but a good resource for gauging the general RP atmosphere of the game.

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
I have a lifetime subscription to Champions... and haven't played it in over a year.  I don't know, it was just never that fun to me.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
I don't know, it was just never that fun to me.
Same. Liked the character creator a lot. The game itself, very lackluster. Played a couple months and was done with it.

Might go back to see just how limited the creator is in F2P mode.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
Actually, the Character Creator in the F2P version is supposed to be really limited....plus, you can't pick your own power sets/trees either. :/

Offline Shjade

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
Yeah, which is why I said I might go back to see just how limited it is in F2P mode. ;p

Powers I don't really care about, since I don't use those for RP, which is all I'd be going back to do. The gameplay itself holds zero appeal.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Champions Online actually had things to its gameplay I liked. Throwing bad guys off rooftops actually hurt them. It was pretty cool, just going around, beating up people. But, yeah, sort of dull in the long run.

I was going to try it out, had the game installed and all, but the limitations on free play sort of killed it for me.

Offline Yorubi

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Well if free to play at least lets you customize your character a lot still I'll download it to play just for the sake of making random heroes for fun. I enjoyed creating characters in that.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »
Well; I'm in. If anyone else is in - and cares - you can poke me via PM here nad I'll happily htrow out my in-gmae handle. Though you'll need to frend me first to talk becuase of those stupid F2P restrictions. Unless you're F2P too, in which case it gets complicated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:18:19 AM by KaylaM »

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
What sort of restrictions are there on the F2P?

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
What I didn't like was that anyone could uproot and lift a lamp post and swing it at enemies, regardless of whether your concept was "super strong"... or that later down the road a Martial Artist concept (whose primary stat is Strength) can lift a tank.  It just makes it that less special and impressive to me. 

Offline Ryven

• Keeper of Cowthulhu | Pure Awesomenesity
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • The night's pleasure follows in my footsteps
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:04 AM »
Is it F2P now?  I played it back at the beginning when it first came out and liked it, but again, I had no one to play with and the super hero genre of games is wearing a little on me.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
http://www.champions-online.com/f2p

The gist of it? You can choose your character's overall powerset, but the powers you pick are limited to that set and a specific level of progression within it. Otherwise, the biggest limitations are the number of chracter slots (2) and the lack of chat options; the latter is relaxed after you've played a certain amount of time, presumably to verify you;re not a spam bot.

I'm not sure how this would add up for a former account that's reactivated under F2P though

Offline Yorubi

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »
I'm downloading this actually since its free to play with. I had fun making characters and I'll be doing that again, and maybe trying to play it more this time. Its free, so why not? ^^;;

Offline Liuli

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »
I've been trying CO lately with the intention to go F2P once it's enabled, and ended up liking mixing powers so much I subscribed.

I don't think the archetype limitations for F2P players are a big deal. There's a seperate pvp queue for archetype characters after all, and they're not too different than having classes in other games. You can still play the entire game for free 'till max level which is a big deal imho. The character appearance customization is still the best out there, F2P or not. F2P players aren't limited in costume selections, although recently subscribers got a lot of new outfits for free that F2P will need to pay a small sum for.

There's RP in CO... But as mentioned above not very "adult". There's nearly no villains (I'm still looking for a villain themed guild), most roleplay knightly "I shall not kill" spandex superheroes, and people that RP "dark heroes" that kill their enemies are a bit shunned ICly.

I hope there will be more diversity on the RP front with the game being F2P now. I'm @Dolie if anyone's seeking RP.

Offline Yorubi

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
I do like the idea of being able to pick out the powers and customize more, but being a poor girl myself, and the fact I spend much of my time customizing my character rather then playing, It would probably not be the best for me pay for it. Still I'm going to try to a little bit once I get less addicted to making new characters. I did manage to get 1 character up to level 8 and I do try to play her a little bit at least.

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
There's RP in CO... But as mentioned above not very "adult". There's nearly no villains (I'm still looking for a villain themed guild), most roleplay knightly "I shall not kill" spandex superheroes, and people that RP "dark heroes" that kill their enemies are a bit shunned ICly.

Yeah like the "Hero" over there with the twin swords and fire blast is really "arresting" people...  :P

*Sends the sliced up barbecued corpse straight to jail*

It's interesting though, because in the superhero genre I tend to RP the goodie goodie types myself.

Offline RubySlippers

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Thank heavens I just got broadband internet a computer with 4gb free memory ram and 500gb of hard drive space.

I might have a look at this.

Offline RubySlippers

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
A warning its a slow download off the site.  :-\

Offline Yorubi

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »
Yeah download it of fileplanet, its a lot faster. The site is very sluggish so fileplanet is just the best place to do it, only takes an hour or so there.

Offline EbonyQueen

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
I, myself am currently an active player in Champions. If anyone needs a hand learning the ropes, some company, or heck someone to RP with. I am your woman. Since this -is- a public forum I'll not be sharing my contact information there. But send me a PM, we'll talk!

Overall the game can be fun, if a little monotonous soloing. Group-play makes it go faster, and can be fun if you RP a little along the way.

Offline cartun

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »
While I'm loathe to link to other forums on a forum, if you're interested in getting into Champions Online's RP community, you could do worse than to take a look around the CORP forum for starters.

Not very "adult-oriented" in their RP, but a good resource for gauging the general RP atmosphere of the game.

True.

Not entirely adult-oriented, but it is more than decent enough if you want to get your superhero RP on, which I'm very fond of in all honesty.
CORP is probably the best <and the only> community in the game. They are rather welcoming and full of warm people.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
They are rather welcoming and full of warm people.
That they are. Just don't tell them I sent you. They'll expect you to be all dashing and witty and shit. ;p