You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 08:02:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Firefox Bookmarks  (Read 1130 times)

Offline HaibaneTopic starter

Firefox Bookmarks
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
I know this makes me sound like n00b of the year but where does Firefox store your bookmarks?

I recently got my PC fixed but lost all my old bookmarks - however I have started a new set on the laptop I've been using and want to move these over to my repaired PC... only I can't seem to find them!

Thanks!

Offline Lilias

Re: Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
Bookmarks > Organise bookmarks > Import and backup.

Export your bookmarks as an HTML file, then transfer it to your repaired computer and repeat the steps, picking 'import' this time. It should work.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
Thanks... and that has got me thinking... My old PC has a copy of the files that were on the corrupted HDD it had before and its all readable... Firefox is there in Program Files (I'm using XP Home) and My Documents re there... though when the PC crashed I didn't (obviously) export the bookmarks from that PC. Is there any way to find the Firefox bookmarks if they were not exported as html?

Offline jouzinka

• Elf Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hr nn, dollen i Rw
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
You can copy the FireFox directory from both the Program Files and Documents and Settings (I think there it is under Roaming or so, you'll have to look). That should restore your FireFox completely, but it will erase the current setting, naturally.

Also, there's a program called MozBackup that can backup your whole FireFox. Not just bookmarks, but also themes, plugins, history, cookies and such. It's free. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! I did that and I have all my zillions of old bookmarks back! Thanks so much!

Offline jouzinka

• Elf Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hr nn, dollen i Rw
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
You're welcome. :-)

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
And.... the old Mozilla install had a virus in it! LOL. Removing and reinstalling Mozilla fresh again... what fun!

Online Oreo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:10:20 AM »
You can copy the FireFox directory from both the Program Files and Documents and Settings (I think there it is under Roaming or so, you'll have to look). That should restore your FireFox completely, but it will erase the current setting, naturally.

Also, there's a program called MozBackup that can backup your whole FireFox. Not just bookmarks, but also themes, plugins, history, cookies and such. It's free. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ ;)
Jouzinka, this might be worth noting in the Resources for a Health Computer thread. I think Veks has been updating it with useful programs.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
My next question is, now that I have 2 sets of bookmarks on 2 PCs... is there a wat to merge 2 lots of bookmarks into 1?

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
Not certain if I can help you with your current problem.

In the future you may want to consider using Xmarks, a free service that keeps your bookmarks, and synchronizes changes you make. Also you can install Xmarks on another computer and have access to your bookmarks wherever you want them. Pretty cool service.

http://www.xmarks.com

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
Bloomin' perfect! Thanks!

Online Oreo

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
I just had to pop back in here and thank Lilias. That worked perfectly for my new PC. I couldn't remember how to get the bookmarks, but everything is back in place. :D It worked like a charm.