You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 08:50:31 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Terminology Question (Clothing)  (Read 400 times)

Offline VandrenTopic starter

Terminology Question (Clothing)
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
I'm considering using the following image as inspiration for a project I'm working on, but have a question.  What would you call the top she's wearing (in clothing terminology)?  I toyed with "halter top", but wasn't sure if there's a more specific name for this style.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Terminology Question (Clothing)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
The closest term I could come up with is a "bandeau" which is similar to a tube top or a bikini top that doesn't use formed cups.  Some of the definitions I found describe it as a band-shaped covering for the breasts.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
Personally, I'd call it a scarf, although worn in a non-typical manner.

Offline Mithlomwen

• ~ E's resident kilt inspector ~ ~ Atropos ~
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • ~ Thunder only happens when it's raining.... ~
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
I found this link which shows something pretty similar, which explains how to wrap a scarf around to make a swimsuit top, so I think Oniya is correct. 

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
The thing is that it could start out as a scarf but once it's used as a different article of clothing, in this case a top, the term bandeau might apply.

"Joan cleverly wound the scarf over her breasts creating a bandeau to match her skirt."

Offline kylie

• Bratty Princess of Twisty, Creeping Secrets. Frilly | Fussy | Framed | Dreamy | Glam | Risky | Sporty | Rapt | Tease | Ironic | Shadowed | Struggling | Whispery | Bespelled
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Darkly sweet femme for rich & insidious scenarios.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
          Not to be the last word by any means, but I tend to associate "bandeau" first with tops that don't extend above the elbow -- Edit, underarm, all the same right?  ::)  level.  Wikipedia claims that "bandeau" traditionally doesn't include any straps --  In practice though, it seems more like the rule only refers to shoulder straps. 

Some places call these "criss cross tops" (Although that is not limited to tops of a short length.  Full coverage blouses can be marked criss-cross when they include showy lines around the bust, too.)  Some places choose to say "criss cross bra tops."  I think that's perhaps more explanatory...  But it doesn't roll off the tongue when you want to be short and sweet -- like the outfit.

My suspicion:  There is no hard and fast rule, but as with women's sizing:  So many local terms (and sales pitches). 

Oh, but I did find pretty pictures along the way!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:16:40 AM by kylie »

Offline VandrenTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Danke all, I kinda figured there wasn't going to be anything "hard and fast" (as it were), but thought I'd ask more fashion knowledgeable people.   ;D