Voyage of the Securis [Pathfinder/D&D3/AD&D2; recruiting]

Started by Admiral J, December 14, 2010, 07:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral J

I’ve got a plan in the offing for a ‘seafaring’ Pathfinder game.  D&D3.5 characters will also be welcome, but you should be cognizant that such characters will be somewhat underpowered on average.  Don’t let that bother you too much, as the most important thing here is personality.  As such, I’ll also consider keeping a DM-side character sheet for any freeform players who express an interest and impress me.  Everyone should feel welcome. 

I'll also accept characters designed in 2nd-Edition AD&D -- I can handle any necessary conversion work behind the scenes.

If you are interested in participating, please respond to this thread with a statement of interest but also send me a PM with relevant character details.

The game will be taking place on a ship in a fantastic version of outer space, in which float countless worlds as well as the realms of the gods.  For those of you who are familiar with D&D cosmology, the campaign will be set in the Astral Sea, as described in the 4th Edition Manual of the Planes and The Plane Above.  The Astral Sea resembles a sort of cross between the astral plane and Outlands/plane of concordant opposition from previous editions of the game. 

I hesitate to call this a ‘pirate’ game, but the crew of the vessel will have (or need to develop) a certain flexibility to their morality.  It would be more accurate to say that the ship is a well-armed trade vessel in lawless ‘waters,’ or where the only law is unfriendly, and that they behave accordingly.  On the whole they are neither heroes nor villains, but count both among their number.  I have no objections to either cutthroat scalawags or upstanding Navy officers.

Whichever way you go, however, a character designed for this game must have a strong sense of duty and believe in repaying their debts.  Their reasons for this attitude can be their own, and they do not have to like having this sense of duty, but they must like defying it even less.  They must also have recently found themselves in a situation from which they required rescuing.  The exact nature of the situation is up to you; the threat could be physical, social, or even imaginary, and the rescue could be monetary, diplomatic, or an actual extraction.  All that matters is that it was beyond the character’s personal capabilities to rectify or escape. 

The third criterion is that they must either be combat-capable, have some kind of sailing or mercantile experience, or both.  I have no objection to social-type or other skill-focused characters – in fact I encourage them – but without some kind of sailing, mercantile, or battle experience they would be of little use onboard ship.  Beyond these three things, your character is your own, and I encourage you to develop as much detail about them as you can.

On a side note, I actually recommend against creating totally combat-focused characters, as one of the tricks I use to accelerate play-by-post is to encourage non-violent problem solving by making combat brutally unforgiving.  If you will need combat in order to feel like you are getting the most out of your character, you may be rolling up a lot of characters.  If you’re comfortable with that, then let fly all guns, as they say.

I’ll be hosting this game in the ‘light exotic’ forum, not so much because I expect this to be a sex-themed game but more so that the widest possible range of players can express an interest without me having to specifically avoid adult topics.  Sex-themed characters are certainly welcome, although I would encourage prospective players to not neglect the other aspects of their characters’ personalities.  It is not my intention to turn away players who are interested in harder stuff, but I hope they will be content with ‘fading to black’ or handling the scene over private messages, this time around.

Please see the Voyage of the Securis wiki page at https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Voyage_of_the_Securis for more detailed information.  Hope to hear from you.

lorcan

Just a few questions will the crew be brought together by a coalition of races from the Material plan sending a ship out into the  Astral sea to explore and secure trade routes and such.?Will then Amphibous Race be a bonus in this game?last what level will this game be  and how will stats be determined?

kckolbe

Like a mix of D7D and Firefly!  Kind of.  I am definitely interested.  As I don't have pathfinder, I will likely do a 3.5 class.  I think I can find the pathfinder race bonuses, so I won't be too far behind the curve.  I am leaning towards a skill-based character, either a martial rogue (from Unearthed Arcana) or scout (from PHB 2) for the eight skill points/level.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Admiral J

Good set of questions, Lorcan. 

• The crew will be handpicked individually (having had no prior contact with each other), and can originate from anywhere with a connection to the Astral Sea.  If you're familiar with the D&D4 core setting (sometimes referred to as the Nentir Vale), you can be from an established location therein, but you should also feel free to invent your character's home from scratch.  Characters from other D&D settings and other fictional sources will be considered but will require some serious player effort. 

No matter where your character is from I expect you to know that location backwards and forwards (especially if you made it up yourself).
  • The Astral Sea is more like space than the ocean, so an amphibious race would not be of particular benefit.  In fact, it might be a hindrance due to long periods aboard ship far from any significant body of water.
  • I haven't yet settled on a level range or a stat generation system.  I'm more interested in seeing rough concepts at this stage.

Kolbe, I'm glad you're interested.  Firefly is not a bad comparison, although the frontier in question here is more "New World" than "Wild West."  Do me a favor and send me any additional character details you have via PM; I'd prefer to keep the content of this thread limited to campaign concept information and questions about said.  Thanks!

kckolbe

http://wiki.generoseberry.com/index.php/Nentir_Vale

http://rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Nentir_Vale

The first link is a map of Nentir Vale, the second some basic info.  Would we need to know more about the area than is given here?  I don't have 4th ed books.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Admiral J

Quote from: kckolbe on December 14, 2010, 10:53:33 PM
http://wiki.generoseberry.com/index.php/Nentir_Vale
http://rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Nentir_Vale
The first link is a map of Nentir Vale, the second some basic info.  Would we need to know more about the area than is given here?  I don't have 4th ed books.

It looks like these sources contain fanon as well as canon material.  I would not rely on them.

That said, knowledge of D&D4 rules or setting is by no means required to play in this campaign.  It is perfectly acceptable to create a homeland for your character from scratch or utilize a different source.

EDIT:
Unrelated to this question, newcomers to the thread please note the edit in the original post for additional rules information.

kckolbe

Given that D&D is pretty low-tech, will you be using another system (star wars D20?) for equipment and some skills?  Off to bed for the night but looking forward to this.

Intro Thread

Admiral J

Quote from: kckolbe on December 14, 2010, 11:16:57 PM
Given that D&D is pretty low-tech, will you be using another system (star wars D20?) for equipment and some skills?  Off to bed for the night but looking forward to this.

The technology level of the game will be similar to Earth around 1500, which in most ways is not significantly different than standard D&D (despite the 'medieval' label that is often applied to the game).  The most significant addition to the rules will likely be wheellock firearms, which will serve to make combat that much more unfortunate for the participants.  The role of 'high technology' will be played by complex 'clockpunk' devices and magic.

That said, if you need a skill or a piece of equipment that you don't feel standard D&D3.5 or Pathfinder covers, let me know via PM and we can come to an agreement.

Meliai

Ooooooooh this sounds really interesting! I want to look into the setting a bit before I settle on a character but I think I have ideas that could be fun
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

lorcan

Okay  well the race doesnt need to be in water all the time they can exist fine either above or  below the water and the race is known for being a seafaring race the race is from stomrack called the aventi.

Admiral J

Glad to have you aboard, Meliai.  Don't worry too much about setting knowledge; I'm working on the premise that wherever the characters are from, the campaign will be taking place somewhere else, so it won't avail you much.  I'd be happy to answer specific questions as they relate to your concept over PM.

Lorcan, I'll send you a PM and we can continue the race discussion there.  I want to keep this thread mostly clear of character concerns.

lorcan

Admiral J

I've updated the initial post with a link to the wiki page I've created with additional detail: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Voyage_of_the_Securis.  Some of the nittier grit from the original post has been moved there for the sake of clarity.

The most significant change is that I'm now welcoming characters created in earlier editions of D&D -- I can handle the details of conversion behind the scenes.  So if you're looking to play D&D, don't worry about what system you're used to, or even if you're not used to any system at all.  This one's on me.  I'm looking to collect good roleplayers and storytellers, not 3rd- and 4th-Edition D&D enthusiasts.

As before, hope to hear from you.

Crovonovin

Just tossing a post in here so I can be updated readily on any changes!

Admiral J

Just a quick update: I've modified and corrected some campaign material on the wiki page: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Voyage_of_the_Securis#Rules

Also, we are still recruiting; the captain has had good luck hiring characters on the business side of things but could use additional sailors and security.  We have a solid kernel for a group and could still make use of characters of any class.

As always, hope to hear from you.

Geradine

you have another interested. i'm going to have to dig through my 3.5 ed books, but i'm starting to come up with basic details. do we start at lvl 1?
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

Crovonovin

I believe that's really dependent on the character in question.  Be sure to shoot the Admiral a message and I'm sure he'll clarify that for you!

Elven Sex Goddess

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Genbu83

It's been too long since I've done anything like Spelljammar. Sounds like the perfect game for my Artificier.

Admiral J

Quote from: Genbu83 on December 31, 2010, 02:44:22 PM
It's been too long since I've done anything like Spelljammar. Sounds like the perfect game for my Artificier.

Great, Genbu.  Drop me a PM with any details.

Admiral J

Just a note to say that the game has begun!

The game thread can be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=98331.0

We have four great players, but I am still recruiting. Place a message here and drop me a PM if you are interested.