Dean William H. LovejoyPicture: [Mortal Form]
- [True Form]Affiliation:
Extradimensional BlasphemyWeight & Height:
Varies. Humanoid forms generally waver around six foot four.Influence:
Holds sway over the Japanese branches of MAWD. Has a particular affinity for Earth vermin and pests, and monsters possessing similar traits.Description:
Powers and Abilities: Aura Mastery:
- Human Form: The Dean is a Caucasian man in his early forties with a strong build and a face that alternates easily between one of stern authority and gentle understanding, commanding respect one moment and exuding kindness the next. He dresses as a man comfortable and well-suited to a position of power. The weight of many years seems to push down on his shoulders, but his back is always straight and proud regardless of the situation.
- Transitional Form: The boundaries between Man and Horror begins to grow thin and riddled with cracks, twisting a kind face into one of sadistic glee. A man of forty becomes one of eighty, his graying hair turning stark white and his skin drying like old parchment. A sickly aureola forms at his back, green flames and bubbling tar licking at reality and opening wounds from which diseased tendrils slink and slither their way into sight.
- True Form: When the walls between worlds shatter and the laws of reality fade into obscurity, the Dean shows himself in his hideous entirety. An effulgent mass of maggoty flesh and translucent slime with a mind of maddening malevolence, he is a creature without human definition or name.
Utilizing his immense cerebral energy, Dean Lovejoy can influence the minds of those in his immediate vicinity by preying on offending emotions until only the desired one remains. Those so affected will grow increasingly malleable and susceptible to further mental assaults.
- Soothing Aura: Quells darker thoughts and snuffs out feelings of anxiety, resulting in an unnaturally lucid calm. Victims of this aura become more likely to trust and agree with others, particularly those with official authority.
- Rage Aura: Incites feelings of anger, hatred, bitterness, and jealousy while eating away at joy, sorrow, and empathy. Victims of this aura will become increasingly single-minded, often directing their anger towards a particular target. The initial stages of this aura simply cause the affected to sour their natural disposition towards others, while advanced stages often result in violence.
- Maddening Aura: The most dangerous of all auras, Madness devours a victim's ability to reason and discern truth from fiction while enhancing creative thought and paranoia. Long-term exposure to this aura may result in permanent mental impairment, reducing one's mental faculties and inducing actual insanity. While in his True Form this aura is considered active at all times, and its effective range doubles.
Wielding dark and potent magic, the Dean can grant abilities to others. Successful minions are often rewarded with "upgrades" to their existing powers or the chance to gain new ones to cover for their weaknesses. However, repeated augmentation often has a dire effect upon the recipient of these gifts, subtly transmogrifying them into increasingly hideous forms. The most common manifestation is the appearance of tentacles or other alien appendages somewhere on the body. Corruptive Touch:
An extension of Eldritch Augmentation. By coating a surface with a thick layer of slime he is able to infect and alter the subject according to his whims. The corrupting influence can be something subtle, such as inducing unwholesome pleasure in the chaste or innocent, to causing the victim to sprout monstrous mutations or even transform into a monster themselves. The alteration must be decided before the touch is made, and another touch is needed to force any subsequent alterations. Magical Girls are immune to mutation, but are still susceptible to attacks made upon the nervous system, whether they cause pain or pleasure.Telekinesis:
The Dean's primary offensive and defensive technique. There does not seem to be an immediately recognizable limit to this power, allowing him to pick up pebbles and buildings with equal ease. Magical Girls have just enough resistance to this power to avoid being tossed around like rag dolls, but can still be pushed and pulled with great force. Feeding:
Dean Lovejoy sustains himself on the human psyche, gaining strength from emotion and higher brain functions. A school is a literal buffet for him, allowing him to feast on the often tumultuous relationships of its students and the learning process. Though there are several licensed therapists on the staff, the Dean has an "Open Door Policy", stating that anyone who needs an ear to listen to their problems may do so without fear of repercussions or judgments. This allows him to influence members of the student body in various ways, setting up chain reactions and planting the seeds of tension and drama that fuel his abilities.Public History:
Supposedly the son of a US soldier once stationed at the Yokota Air Base following the occupation of Japan after the second World War, the Lovejoy family has remained in the country for decades in a professed attempt to reconcile their feelings of regret and guilt after the twin bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Besides taking part in the efforts to rebuild the infrastructure of the war torn nation in spite of justified animosity, William sought to entrench himself in the country's education system and fund the construction of universities and other institutions that would provide a safe haven for successive generations of young citizens eager to learn and find ways to help their country.
Now a greatly respected figure in the academic community and a proponent of intercultural relations, it would certainly seem that the Dean has succeeded in his goals. Of course, this is all the cleverly constructed ruse of a being far beyond human understanding. The Thing Beyond the Veil
has very different designs in mind, ones that he believes MAWD will be able to help him accomplish. His cover is simply a useful tool that allows him to avoid suspicion, his kindness a mask that he wears with all the pride of a true monster.