How bad do things have to get?

Started by Zeitgeist, December 10, 2010, 04:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeitgeist

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/12/10/obama_ditches_tax_cut_presser_after_bill_clinton_takes_control.html

How bad does it have to get before you hand it over to Bill?

LOL. Actually, I like him now. But who hands the rains over to a former president, unless things have really gone south?

Vekseid

My mind is wandering to the conversation that must have led to that setup.

"Hey, Bill! I uh, I need some help."
"Yeah, yeah you do."

The next two years are not going to be pretty for the current establishment. I almost pity him.

Oniya

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on December 10, 2010, 04:23:55 PM
LOL. Actually, I like him now. But who hands the rains over to a former president, unless things have really gone south?

Ah - former presidents have gone on to do constructive political things.  Hell, even Nixon was consulted during the Reagan-Gorbachev era.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on December 10, 2010, 05:17:01 PM
Ah - former presidents have gone on to do constructive political things.  Hell, even Nixon was consulted during the Reagan-Gorbachev era.

I completely agree!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on December 10, 2010, 05:17:01 PM

True but Regan didn't ask him to step up to the podium and explain things. I think it got a bit out of control and the President lost control of the room. That isn't good.

Of course Hilary is probably off somewhere rubbing her hands in glee.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 10, 2010, 05:48:28 PM
True but Regan didn't ask him to step up to the podium and explain things. I think it got a bit out of control and the President lost control of the room. That isn't good.

Of course Hilary is probably off somewhere rubbing her hands in glee.
Now if only she could find a way around the "Two Terms" policy she'd be back on top.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on December 10, 2010, 06:22:50 PM
Now if only she could find a way around the "Two Terms" policy she'd be back on top.

Right now, she's probably playing the 'team player' card till such time as she can withdraw from the cabinet in 'protest' over some scandal that can solidly be put at the president's feet so she can run against him 'to regain the countries' honor'

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 10, 2010, 06:54:30 PM
Right now, she's probably playing the 'team player' card till such time as she can withdraw from the cabinet in 'protest' over some scandal that can solidly be put at the president's feet so she can run against him 'to regain the countries' honor'
Obama? Nah, love him or hate him, the dude's a boyscout.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on December 10, 2010, 07:10:55 PM
Obama? Nah, love him or hate him, the dude's a boyscout.

Said she was looking, begging/praying, hoping. I do think the President has his 'feet' of clay like everyone else. He has a mouth, he has 'buttons' to push. And the media will be sitting by waiting for him to put his foot in his mouth.

I mean look at some of the 'out of context' moments.. like Barry Goldwater's infamous 'I'd use the bomb' quote.

Oniya

Or Reagan's 'We will begin bombing in five minutes.'  (Found that while I was verifying the Nixon stuff ;D )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on December 10, 2010, 07:57:10 PM
Or Reagan's 'We will begin bombing in five minutes.'  (Found that while I was verifying the Nixon stuff ;D )

I knew about that one too BUT I went with a more clear misuse of the statement NOT something Regan was baited into.

itsbeenfun2000

the bombing quote from Reagan was clearly a joke. he didnt realize the media was listening

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: itsbeenfun2000 on December 11, 2010, 03:07:33 AM
the bombing quote from Reagan was clearly a joke. he didnt realize the media was listening

Actually he was baited into it by the booth tech.

Oniya

And actually, it didn't go over the air.  The recording was released later.

Noelle

It's really no surprise that former presidents can take politically active roles post-presidency; in some ways, I'd argue they can probably be more helpful in the singular areas they're concerned with because they don't have all eyes on them, not quite so many filters and barriers to go through, and not nearly as many critics necessarily watching them with the added bonus of knowing what it's like to sit in the Oval Office and deal with all the shit. Even 2 years after Bush, there's already a more positive light shed on him than during his actual terms.