You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 02:31:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Garden of Eden  (Read 637 times)

Offline DarklingAliceTopic starter

The Garden of Eden
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
Oh hell yes.

I want this to be good, like really, really good. However, it does seem difficult to transfer Hemingway out of the textual medium, no matter how many times it has been done (and it has been done a ton) it always feels a little wrong to me. There is no real way to make the nature of his prose come across on the screen. So I am not holding out high hopes, but I am so hunting this down when it gets a release.

The Garden of Eden | trailer #1 US (2011)

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: The Garden of Eden
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
That does look interesting, Alice.  It's to be hoped that even if they can't translate Hemingway for the screen the at least don't make a hash out what they do produce.

Offline DarklingAliceTopic starter

Re: The Garden of Eden
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
It's always a risk in adaptations. If you just adapt something and put nothing else into it, it often feels wooden and soulless because you are just taking what you can from the printed page and since you can't take everything there is a sense of leaving gaps. Some directors try so hard to make the screen version of a book so true to the author that they forget to add any of their own artistry to it. Of course, the pendulum can swing too far the other way and then you wind up with fan backlash.

The Garden of Eden holds a special place in my heart as it was the first of Hemingway's works I read for myself as opposed to something done as a school assignment or because my father forced me to read it. It is a wholly different experience to approach a work of art on your own terms rather than someone else's. So I may be unpleasable with this adaptation, but I am going to hope for the best anyway :P