News:

Main Menu

What's in a name?

Started by Spookie Monster, June 04, 2005, 07:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

I'm always curious about why people call themselves what they call themselves, and I definitely see a lot of interesting and bizarre usernames here. Sometimes I can't even pronounce them! :o My question to you is this, therefore: Why did you choose the username you chose? What does it mean? Why do you identify with it?

For instance, my username here is Spel; I derived it from George Spelvin, which is the name I use when I discuss, oh, I don't know, monster rape and so forth. George Spelvin isn't my real name, though - it's a name that American actors use when they don't want to use their actual name. It's kind of like how Alan Smithee is used by a director when he (or she, I suppose) doesn't want his (or her) name attached to a particular movie. I felt like Spel would be appropriate enough, given the circumstances. (And besides, I like the play The Actor's Nightmare; its protagonist is named George Spelvin.)

Does that make sense? :o I hope so... :)

Anyway, why did you choose what you chose? What does your own username mean? Why do you identify with it?

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Amberghylles

Well, it goes back years.  I was ditching AOL and needed an e-mail address, I went with hotmail.  At the time my primary use of my e-mail was an online newsgroup collective story, and I took the name of my villian Bryce Amberghylles as my e-mail.

Since then, I've found that Amberghylles is almost never actually taken as a username and thus gives me a strange sort of uniformity.  Plus I kinda like the name. <grin>

kat

Mine is my actual nickname, no strange or interesting story there. Sorry. ;)
Good sex is like good Bridge... If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.

A hard man... is good to find

-Mae West

Hunter

Old shadowrun character.   :)

Vandren

Comes from the main character in my first "real" decent to good story.  I later found out it means something in some Scandinavian language too, but I don't know what or which.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Keelin

A mischievous elf I played back on RPoL  :)
'The first and foremost erogenous zone is in the minnd'

Lirliel

The name of my Elf lover on RPOL, this is to Honor her :)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

nick012000

Well, when I first needed to make an email account, I decided to use the name of Warhammmer 40k character Kharn the Betrayer. But it was taken. Okay, Kharn01. Taken. So I put in Kharn012, and stuck three 0's on the end just to be on the safe side. Not taken. So, I started using it as my username on the Internet. Then, on the Wizards of the Coast forums, I decided to try to alter my account's age so I could access the "Mature" forums.  ::) The result was that account being locked out. So, I made another account, but this one needed a new name. So, I decided to take out the Kharn, and stick in my own first name, Nick. And, after that, I started using it pretty much everywhere, except for one forum I registered at before the username change.

Pixie

Mine is pretty disgustingly simple, I like pixies. I also like the Pixies. So it works for me.

Moridin

I stole mine, from a character in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
Straight male.  As long as its within the rules of the forum, and doesn't involve fire, I'll try it once.

NightBird

Mine is simple.  I tend to the nocturnal, and 'nightowl' seemed too clichéd.

Et voilà!  NightBird was born.

Lancis

Lancis is part of my very first Characters name which was Shadai Lancis, so i use either one or the other in most places, often finding lancis availible when Shadai is not...

Shadai Lancis= Shadow Lancer :)

Lancis
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Jonol

I  stole my name from the book Ghosts in the Snow. And if anyone decides to read it, they will find that the Risley in the book is very different from the Risley I play.  ;D

Ajoxer

I was playing a MMO type game, and I always loved Joxer, from Xena. I decided to edit with the A. Only one person has ever guessed the origins. I also use to go by the name Durahan, because of my love of selfsame character in Monster Rancher 2- Best monster EVER.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Brandon

the guardian angel part came from the fact that Ive always been like a guardian angel. Ive always been someone who helps those who cant help themselves and who protects people, so it just fit. The 98 part was just a few random numbers I threw in
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Lilian

Lilian is a character I came up with for a couple of games and eventually used with on Maidens and Monsters. I absolutely loved the background from which she was born and the concept was rather attractive. I also find her absolutely beautiful, something I can cherish. Is it so strange to, in a way, watch yourself in a mirror and not help but smile?

Silk & Steel

Quote from: Pixie on June 04, 2005, 09:01:08 PM
Mine is pretty disgustingly simple, I like pixies. I also like the Pixies. So it works for me.

Yeah they gotta be one of the best bands out there with a really orginal sound, probably one of the most in the last 20 years. Besides you gotta love the way Frank Black sings UP into his microphone, and chicks who play bass gotta be the sexiest women in the world.

I choose mine becuase, in my heart of hearts I'm a Romantic (like the styles), I like Silk, and I love the way stainless steel looks. So in a foppish swash buckling kind of style, I think Silk and Steel works - like the hard and soft, the sharp and the smooth. Contrasts.

Cheers,

GolGol

Vandren means wanderer in either Danish or norwegian...In Swedish it's vandraren.

Mina is from a Werewolf character that is really cool, my usuall nickname was to long for this site :/

Oh and I have been playing with Keelin before, as her master actually :D
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Lyria

From a Fantasy Hero character I had. There was no meaning to choosing it for her, I just thought it was pretty. My husband teases me about most of my character names start with 'A' or 'L'.  ;)
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Stumpy

real life nickname for the past 18 years for me, in fact at one stage there loads of people who had known me four or five years who didn't actually know my real name.

bloodrose

I'm from Yorkshire, and the symbol of the county is the white rose...
bloodrose's Ons and Offs

Rett Butler

From the Tokyopop manga Rebirth, not to be confused with Gone in the Wind'; Rhett Butler. And I've always use the name Butler because I like to. So I found a name that had Butler in it while I was reading and it stuck.

Humble Scribe

Because I write for a living, and I'm not an especially important or well-paid scribe, and because I have a tendency to drop into cliches when I'm put on the spot and suddenly have to come up with a name on the spur of the moment. I'm not in fact a particularly humble person, but 'Arrogant Scribe' might have been a bit offputting and 'Actually Quite Comfortable With Himself Scribe' well... it just wouldn't work.
The moving finger writes, and having writ,
Moves on:  nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Ons and Offs

3ldr1tch

Mine should be Eldritch, but someone kept beeting me to that username so I went with 3ldr1tch instead. The Reason? H.P. Lovecraft had a tendancy to use the word a lot when describing the horrors or the Cthulhu Mythos.
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

- H.P. Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")

Valerian

Valerian was one of my first AD&D characters, and the first truly long-running one, way back in the second edition days.  She was actually a reluctant assassin who passed herself off as a thief, and was eventually sold into slavery on another plane, due to some extremely bizarre circumstances.  But the name's easy to spell, and not taken too often, so I use it quite a lot online.  And yes, that is a valerian plant as my avatar.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE