You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:29:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Failed Attempts to Teach Role-Playing  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Lady Cathleen

• Vodka Ambassador! turning water into Vodka daily
  • Lady
  • Bacchae
  • Bubble Baths are the greatest thing ... ever!!!!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Failed Attempts to Teach Role-Playing
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
Like just about everyone here, I love role-playing.  And like most things you love, I've tried to turn some of my friends on to RPing as well.  A few have become hardcore dice-chuckers and online RPers like myself.  And some others... not so much.

My favorite example is when my husband and I tried to run a D&D game for our matron of honor and best man.  Three incidences that night told me we could never do this again.

1)  She wants to play an elven cleric.  Cool, we say, let's look over some of your character's choices for a deity and decide who your character worships.  Her response after going over all the Good and Neutral Greyhawk gods: "Which one is the most like the real God?"

2)  He decides he wants to play a halfling barbarian.  Cool, we say, what's his name?  "Shorty!"  "Uh, wouldn't he be offended by taller people calling him that?"  "No, that's what his parents named him."

3) Our characters meet (stereotypically) in a tavern where a cloaked man offers us a job killing some goblins outside of the town.  After explaining OOC what the adventure offer entails and how this is pretty much a standard draw for the characters, the best man announces that Shorty kicks the cloaked man in the balls and wants to pick his pockets for money.  He then asks how much XP he got for these actions.

We stuck to playing Apples to Apples for a while after that.

So has anyone tried and failed gloriously to get someone into role-playing?

*And of course, no discussion of other members, please.

Omg I laughed so hard, I cried reading your post. I know the type.

Offline King_Furby

Re: Failed Attempts to Teach Role-Playing
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
Wow good stories here.