You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 04:24:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Healthy snacks?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline rosebudTopic starter

Healthy snacks?
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
My mom and I are good at planning out our main dishes, but not our snacks. We end up mostly going to things like popcorn or chips, but that only contributes to weight gain, especially since we get hungry at like 9 at night. What are some healthy snacks that you like to eat?

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ítill you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Healthy snacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Radishes here.

Online Jagerin

• They/Them Pronouns || Alpha Raptor || Fandom Monarch || Estrous Twinkle Particle || Kho's Murdoc || Nic's Scully
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Black roses and Hail Mary's can't bring you back.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 20
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Peaches (fresh, not canned).
Any fresh fruit really, just enough to satisfy the craving, not to get full.
Carrot sticks.
Toast with a little sea salt on it and olive oil (not sure how healthy it is, but it's no worse than popcorn or chips and it tastes great, more so with some Nutella on it).

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Grapes!  They are quick and easy (wash and eat) usually pretty cheap and only 5 calories per grape.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
Apples, anyone?

Offline molly

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »
I agree with the grapes! They're even better if you freeze them! Frozen grapes taste just like candy!

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
oooh... and frozen blueberries, although they tend to be expensive. Mm.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »
I like yogurt too.  Though if weight loss (or not gaining weight) is your goal, it's important to remember not to eat anything at all at least three hours before you go to bed.  You're not active when you're sleeping so it all gets stored as fat. 

Offline 31337

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:20:01 PM »
I generally enjoy a small handful of peanuts or possibly a can of tuna. Both are relatively high in protein and have a good amount of good fat in them.

Offline Star Safyre

• Mrs. Fyre or, if you're slightly more daring, O Captain my Captain.
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »
Broth made from Bouillon cubes.  Depending on how much you make, it tastes like food but is pretty much just water and a bit of salt.  It can be surprisingly filling and super fast to make.

Offline WhiteDove

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »
Celery! Its a negative calorie snack :)

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ítill you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
Celery! Its a negative calorie snack :)

Good point. Add cucumber to that ;)

Offline The Golden Touch

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
Cottage cheese, apples and peanut butter, granola bars, air popcorn with less butter and salt.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »
Oh, I love those cottage cheese things with the fruit stuff to mix in.  I also add more than just salt and butter to my popcorn.  I usually use garlic salt and basil.  It's yummy!

Offline Ket

• Electroslut Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • The Onion Queen - crispy fried goodness
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
Those cottage cheese things with fruit to mix in are loaded with sugar (not to mention in a container that isn't really recyclable). Cut up fresh fruit instead, or if you really like the way the pre-packaged stuff tastes, add a spoonful of no-sugar fruit preserves to plain cottage cheese.

I love a couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese and fresh fruit topped with a spoonful of plain yogurt then drizzled with honey and wheat germ.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »
Cinnamon is also good on popcorn.  If you pop it yourself, either with a little 'good' oil (like olive oil) or air-popped, you can control the salt and fat content a lot better than if you use the nukeable stuff. 

Oatmeal is good for you (as long as you don't overdo the sugar), and very filling.

Offline LongN4

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
I've always liked plain yogurt with some honey stirred into it. Nice little combo of sweet and sour.

Offline MariaRenard20

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 03:50:38 AM »
Oatmeal bars make for a great snack. But it's better to make your own since the commercial ones are expensive and aren't all that healthy, and you can put whatever you want in them. There's a ton of recipes online but they are all pretty much the same. They aren't hard to make, and only take about 30 mins.

Just substitute some of the sugar for fruit combinations or nuts. Bananas, apples, strawberries, pears, blueberries, and raspberries are all good choices and crushed almonds add a whole lot of flavor while still being healthy. If you don't mind cheating a little on the healthy stuff, make a batch with something sweet like peanut butter and chocolate chips. Oatmeal is high in fiber, so it's healthy for you no matter what you put in it.

Don't get those little packets of oatmeal that come with dried fruit already inside that you just add water to make. These are loaded with sugar. Steel-cut oatmeal is the most healthy out of the three types out there, but they take a very long time to bake and are usually expensive for a small batch. Plain old "Rolled oats" work best for bars, and you can get a giant tube of a generic/store brand for cheap.

Jell-O is another thing you can load up with different types of fruits for a healthy snack.

Some other stuff to think about is roasted seeds like sunflower or pumpkin (just be sure to get ones that are lightly or non salted).

You can make a few healthy versions of chips too. It's as easy as slicing them very thin, rubbing with olive oil, and popping them in a very hot oven for a few mins. Russet potatoes are great for potato chips, but stuff like sweet potatoes and beets are also great.

And if you're not allergic to peanut butter, it comes in handy when you get a sweet tooth craving. Just a spoonful or two does the trick to tone that hunger down. It's healthy for you too since it has protein and fiber. But it's also loaded with sugar, so don't get carried away. :-)

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
And if you're not allergic to peanut butter, it comes in handy when you get a sweet tooth craving. Just a spoonful or two does the trick to tone that hunger down. It's healthy for you too since it has protein and fiber. But it's also loaded with sugar, so don't get carried away. :-)

Or, you can always buy unsalted peanuts and run them through a food processor with a tiny bit of oil.  (If you're industrious enough to make your own chips/crisps, you're industrious enough to make your own nut-butter.)

Offline Seara

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
Almonds are very satisfying and they have the good kind of fat.

Another thing I do to curb the late night craving is a full glass of water followed by a peice of gum.

Offline mercury01

• Lady
  • Seduced
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
Almonds are very satisfying and they have the good kind of fat.

Seconding this. I like fruit (dried or fresh) as a snack, but I always try to have some sort of protein with it, e.g. nuts. This has the benefit of stabilizing your metabolism so you don't just get an energy spike/dropoff. Veggies and hummus works too.

Offline proxious

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
dry vegetable biscuits

Offline Caeli

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
I like almonds, or yogurt + granola.

Offline avorae

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
I usually go for fruit. It really doesn't matter what really. Apples, oranges, grapes, Pineapple. It's all good to me. (Though the pineapple can be a pain to peel late at night when your tired.

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
I usually go for fruit. It really doesn't matter what really. Apples, oranges, grapes, Pineapple. It's all good to me. (Though the pineapple can be a pain to peel late at night when your tired.

At that point, forget peeling and just slice it into circles and then cut into triangles.  Nibble down as far as you feel like.

You'll have to wash all the juice off your face, but hey, you were going to bed soon anyways!