An Alamo time travel roleplay

Started by playfullchick76, September 17, 2010, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playfullchick76

This is one ive been thinking about today, and would be interested in playing it out with someone familiar with the place, year, and situation as it played out.

I would lead five or six ex soldiers, Marine Corps, seals, what have you, well armed and planned, back to Texas 1836 via illegal time travel, with the intention of aiding the defenders to resist Santa Anna's army.

We know how it ended, but my character, and the men who followed her, would aim to change that.

I would need someone familar with the movie at least, with the times, with good roleplay skill. If this is you, reply to it and lets work something out.

Chrystal

Intersting concept. You want someone to play Crocket, Bowie and Travis? Or what would be the role of the other player?

It would give an interesting explanation of what happened to Bowie's legendary knife, because allegedly it was never found and there is an urban legend (that J.T. Edson expanded upon) that it was taken by the mexican soldier that killed him, but it sort of did a "Lord Of The Rings" on him and ended up being lost for all time...

Do you see your team succeeding, or failing, in changing history? And what would be the outcome if they did? Texas still acheives independence from Mexico, but then fails to join the Union? When the civil war starts, Texas comes in on the side of the CSA and the South win?

Just offering some thoughts, to prove that this is one dyke who is interested in military history! *snigger*

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

playfullchick76

Its funny you should mention J T Edson. My dad has a lot of his books, most of them, and ive been reading them since christmas last year. Your thinking about the book the quest for bowies blade, and how it was made from some superstrong metal.

I havnt planned out if you would play one of the leaders, or all three. I could do a partial playing of their parts, I guess. If you wanted to do the same, that would be ok with me.

I see them perhaps succeeding, but it woudlnt be a quick fight.

Youre not the only dyke who's interested in military history. I dont often get to play military ones out, and its one of my fav themes to play.

Chrystal

*nods*

Well, I would be quite happy to play all three of the Colonels. I think The Duke made an awesome Jim Bowie in the film. I can't for the life of me remember who played Travis or Crockett *lookes it up on IMDB* Lawrence Harvey and Richard Widmark. I know the names but I'm not familiar with them enough.

I would want to put my own slant on the characters, of course...?

OR...

I could play your 2IC, and the three heroes could all be NPCs.

I do love a good historical re-write. Did you know that there were upwards of 300 women serving in the Union army, disguised as men? I never for one moment assumed I was the only one, dear! ;)

And yes, Edson had Bowie's blade forged from a meteorite, as I recall. It makes me wonder if it was reading about the overly macho exploits of Dusty Fog, the Ysabel Kid and the other one who's name I cannot remember for the life of me, had any sort of influence on my sexuality - but then, probably not, I seem to recall being turned on by his depiction of Calamity Jane!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Max

An interesting idea, and the Alamo, one of my big favorites.  Puts me in the mind of a book, about an oil company that had just discovered a huge oil field, only problem was that it was in Mexico.  So they recruit a group of mercenaries, equip them with M-16s and M-60s, (think there were only five to 10 of them), and send them back in time.  The idea, to help the Texians to win, and then march into Mexico and claim the oil field.  Another group finds out, and sends things to Santa Anna to keep history from being changed.  But, can't remember the name of the book.

"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Chrystal

*sees the user name of the guy who replied, and bursts out laughing*

VIVA MAX!

Kaya

If this does not need to be completely historically correct, I would offer to play female indians recruited by Santa Anna to help taking the Alamo. They would be fearless and sexy fighters. Tell me if there is an interest for that.

Chrystal

Quote from: Kaya on September 18, 2010, 04:42:40 PM
If this does not need to be completely historically correct, I would offer to play female indians recruited by Santa Anna to help taking the Alamo. They would be fearless and sexy fighters. Tell me if there is an interest for that.

*drools*

playfullchick76

I know about women disguising themselves as men to serve in the civil war. In the book guns of the south, Molly Bean pretends to be male and fights as Melvin Bean, yet 'his' inability to grow a beard does attract some suspicion. Most were only found out when they were wounded.

Max, I have no idea what that book is called, but now that youve mentioned it, I want it, thats a very original and cool idea.

Kaya, I would like to say yes to your request, but, having you in it as well would make it a group one, and I've yet to be part of a group one thats lasted longer than three weeks. I will think on it though.

Crystal, i think the name your thinking of is Mark Counter. and if you want to play the three colonels as NPC's, im ok with that. The duke did do a good job in the Alamo, but the movie that originally gave me the idea is the one with billy bob thornton in it.

Kaya

A word of warning: My female Indians would not disguise themselves as men. You would see clearly that they are women. But I would not say that they qualify as a full PC role, you should rather see them as NPCs played by me.

The way I see it, they are probably Comanche/Cheyenne full of hatred for the Texans, and Santa Anna would probably gladly  use them for harassment of the fort, to keep the Texans from getting any rest before he makes his final assault.

playfullchick76

Do you still want to play this one out crystal, just curious. I would have it as a group one, but it would fizzle out before three weeks had passed, and thats just too fustrating, so it would be between Crystal and myself.

Gladiator0161

I'm familiar with the basic story of the Alamo but, admittedly little else. Perhaps if you want I can be one of the Marine's or whatever that travels back in time. That would actually be easiest for me to explain and play.

I'd like to get in on this if I could.

Chrystal

Hmmm....

A multi-player RP would, as you say, fizzle out, as do so many really good ones. The only way to actually keep it going would be to pre-establish rules that said any unexplained absence (i.e. not posted in an A/A thread or pre-warned of in OOC thread or by PM) longer than two weeks results in the player's character being killed off. (I try and put such rules in place in most of my RPs where there are a limited number of characters!)

Much as I love the idea of the Alamo being charged by a horde of naked squaws, I really cannot see it working! *chuckle*

And yes, I am still up for it. I'll PM you so we can discuss details and parameters etc....

Gladiator0161

A good suggestion, I should start doing something like that.

playfullchick76

That could work, establishing rules, no unexplained long absences. If Gladiator is willing to abide by the rules that we set up, then Im willing to consider a three player group roleplay. From his post, and the private one that he sent me, he has considerable rp skill.

Chrystal

*shrug* I'm game for whatever game you wish to set up, dear!