Talislanta! Still without Elvish Types.

Started by MadPanda, September 07, 2010, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelita

Hi honeys :) I'm definitely interested. Talk about skill points and character sheets in this thread was a major flashback to  ad&d days lol

I'm gonna read up on this world and see if it captivates me ;) 

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Dominioness

Thufir Pointed me in this direction. I'll give it a shot.
Usually play a healer.

An elven healer.

Drift

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started into the rules book but the setting has a lot to offer.  There is something for everybody in there and a lot of potential.  It's definitely worth a look even if you're just a little bit interested. ;)

MadPanda

It's quite a world.  Something for everyone...and in my case, since the Mentat has already announced his character options, I'm playing someone a bit off-standard.

Rajan girl who ran away from home at a very early age and fell in with some Arimite mercenaries.  She hides her features with an (unenchanted) Djaffir mask to avoid shocking people, but she's otherwise mostly pleasant.  Mostly.  All things considered.  She just plays with knives all the time.   :-)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Amelia on September 15, 2010, 06:51:12 AM
Hi honeys :) I'm definitely interested. Talk about skill points and character sheets in this thread was a major flashback to  ad&d days lol

I'm gonna read up on this world and see if it captivates me ;)
Well, the system is more open than AD&D ;).
Hope you'll like the world! I sure did.

Quote from: Dominioness on September 15, 2010, 07:46:10 AM
Thufir Pointed me in this direction. I'll give it a shot.
Usually play a healer.

An elven healer.
I did point you indeed, welcome to the party;D!
The elven part might be kinda hard to find in the setting :P. You can play a very good healer, though, if you concentrate on this Mode of magic and/or healing skills.

Of course, you don't have to play a healer in this game, if you want to try something new.

Quote from: Drift on September 15, 2010, 09:15:26 AM
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started into the rules book but the setting has a lot to offer.  There is something for everybody in there and a lot of potential.  It's definitely worth a look even if you're just a little bit interested. ;)
I see we have a new convert to Talislanta >:)!
Yeah, it's a rich setting, and I like that.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Drift

Well I think it's a notch up from D&D just for dispensing with the whole class system.    The paths make what is essentially an open skills system more accessible without necessarily shoehorning you into something.  You're certainly not going to end up with cookie cutter characters.  I thought it was funny that there was a disclaimer about class/race 'balance' in the game. 

Thufir Hawat

I certainly agree with most of the above, but let's leave it at that :P!

As a mostly unrelated side note, another of my favourite systems has a disclaimer about the "class balance", too. It boils down to "whatever you play, make yourself useful" >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Considering that all prior editions had templates instead of the DIY approach of the path system, the disclaimer had a valid place in the rules.  It was possible, after all, to have some PCs running about who were not quite up to the stress of an adventuring life (Batrean Concubines, Monad Servitors, and Muses come to mind, although Muses are generally underrated).

5e allows for a lot more customization, but I must admit fondness for those templates.  Alas, some of my faves date way, way back to the old 2nd Ed and are no longer in the game.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

What were your favourites, MP? Maybe we can get some of them back >:)?

Also, you can certainly make a character that is not up for adventuring with the current system, too, it depends more on your concept than any system ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

The Heterodoxists are, like, completely out of the picture...but no matter.

I'm tempted to just snag an Arimite knife fighter and adjust the stats considering that my character's Rajan by birth.  It means losing a bit of skill points, but the Arimite Knife Fighting quirk is only available through the Assassin path (which seems...wrong).

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Only because that was the only way to get the Arimite Knife-fighting quirk!  Not that I mind, overall.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Well, she's got the "trained by foreigners" story, so I guess you can just get the quirk with a combat-ready path? Something like mercenary, or warrior, would fit there.
And of course, it's going to be 4 skill ranks instead of 2, 3 if you also take a negative quirk ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

I may re-work her a bit.  On the other hand, if she stays as an Assassin (*ahem*)  I mean Arimite Conflict Resolution Arbiter, then she gets an apartment...

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Yeah, I noticed that perk with the Duelist, too >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

So if I get the time to run her through again, I'll let you know.   :-)

(And for everyone else, this is why we're more or less flexible with char-gen!  The rules have some funny ideas of what's what in places...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

The rules mostly have the right ideas. Sometimes people just like playing exceptional characters that are the first of their kind, though.
And then the GMs are there to help with it or to prohibit it, but I lean on the side of allowing it ;D.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

For the record, folks, if working through the Path system is taking too long, or if you have any trouble figuring some of this stuff out, feel free to snag one of the templates (section starts on page 242 and runs thorugh 252) to speed things along.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I know Madpanda and Thufir are here to help but I'm also willing to help people hammer their characters into shape.  If you have just a concept and need some help crunching numbers or just getting the sheet up there's definitely help to be had.

Seriously it took me awhile to get through all the content I needed to crunch to get the sheet filled out in what seemed a sensible way to me... the only hold up on my sheet at the moment is spells since I was thinking of writing a custom one or two... or maybe just using some of the canned ones.  I just need to make a decision and write it down.

*hugs all around* and it was a lot of fun making the character too haha.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 17, 2010, 01:30:01 AM
I know Madpanda and Thufir are here to help but I'm also willing to help people hammer their characters into shape.  If you have just a concept and need some help crunching numbers or just getting the sheet up there's definitely help to be had.

Seriously it took me awhile to get through all the content I needed to crunch to get the sheet filled out in what seemed a sensible way to me... the only hold up on my sheet at the moment is spells since I was thinking of writing a custom one or two... or maybe just using some of the canned ones.  I just need to make a decision and write it down.

*hugs all around* and it was a lot of fun making the character too haha.
Thank you for your offer, Drift! And yes, creating characters is fun indeed ;D!
Still, the templates option is there for people's convenience, and they reflect three character paths, so no adjustment is necessary.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

Heya!  I thought I was going to have time for this, but I am going to have to pull out for now. I will look for the next one though. :S  I just do not have the time for it, otherwise I would LOVE to play along. :D

Have some good fun for me though. ;)

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Thufir Hawat

Sorry to hear that, Rozel. I'm sure you'd have played an excellent roguish character :P!
Good luck, and see you next time, whenever this might be >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Everybody, the GMs decided the game will be starting Monday, somewhere in the evening. The important part is, if you are ready with a concept and race until then, you can even post alongside everybody!

If you aren't ready with the mechanics of your characters yet, you have time until Friday to post them. If you need to roll before the character is posted in the chargen thread, your overall skill will be considered +1 before modifiers, though, with a +0 for attribute rolls ;D.
After Friday, only fully completed characters will continue in the game.

I think this is the moment to remind you that if you get stuck for time, you can use a template character, which means you'd need all of 15 seconds to post the mechanics of most characters ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

Well gee, that's what I get for not checking the boards Monday!

I'll try to get my spells sorted out by Friday but can I go ahead and start with everybody?