General Warning and Future Notes

Started by Vekseid, August 30, 2010, 05:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I'm going to be putting up a big scary warning on Blue Moon and Elliquiy, pointing to this and its mirror thread.

Basic gist is, although backups are run off of the slave server (twice a day, at 1 AM and 1 PM CST/CDT), database optimization can't be - it needs to be done on the Master, and when it gets done it is going to take its sweet, sweet time as it rebuilds each and every table. On Elliquiy, I was forced to move them from once a day to once a week, and they eventually began taking half an hour on E, so they are now once a month.

This will hit the databases in serial fashion, so it will bring down Blue Moon, then E, etc. Other sites on this server won't even notice as their database gets run over in a few seconds. But Blue Moon might see some timeouts, so don't be too alarmed if it happens, save your posts beforehand. Though after the nightmare that was phpBB on the VPS we had before, this should barely register.

On Elliquiy, this will be rather disruptive, as E members are familiar with. Only now it's once a month instead of eight times a week. Let's here it for slaves! : )

The optimization is being run at 5 AM CST/CDT on the first of each month. This equates to
6 AM Eastern
4 AM Mountain
3 AM Pacific

And around Noon for Europe, depending on your specific timezone. CDT (Daylight time) is UTC-5, CST is UTC-6.

For September, I am going to be finishing up automating various processes on Elliquiy, then touching up on some things for Blue Moon folks and clients. After that, I am going to be focusing most of my attention on The Project, which should lead to much awesomeness for both E and Blue Moon in 2011.

For Blue Moon, if someone knows css fairly well, they can fix a number of issues here themselves and I can focus on more technical things, which would be fairly awesome and much appreciated (by myself and the members here, I'm sure). So if someone is good with style sheets, and is active on Blue Moon and wants to help out, let me know and we'll see what can be worked out : )

Vekseid

Malina

Quote from: Vekseid on September 01, 2010, 06:52:53 AM
Posting should work now?

Let's see - yup, it does, thanks for all the good work and the updates, Veks!  :D

Vekseid

Nweh. It saved 300 megabytes.

I might have it skip the messages table. hrm.