News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

F.A.T.A.L.

Started by fallensaviour, August 10, 2010, 01:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallensaviour

so...its been called the worst system in existence...and that just means i have to say i've played it... who can help me out?

AllieCat

The game that shall be named? *RUNS AWAY*

HairyHeretic

Reading this review of it should be enough

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

I'm pretty sure this book is actually part of the Cthulhu mythos, and will cause SAN losses.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

fallensaviour

I still have a feeling this could be fun if handled in a so bad its awesome way

Idachan

I'm ashamed to say that I'm starting to gain an interest....

JadeCore

You'd be best served reading the TV Tropes LiveBlog of it first. I've gotten through the first 36 pages of the blog and it's pretty bad on many levels. And not even bad it's horrible, it's bad that reaches that special level below hell.

First off, the game itself is poorly written. There are sub-sections that are missing or copied and pasted. Rules are unclear. Rules are also unnecessary complex and often outright contradict each other. Various things require solving geometric functions, often with multiple variables. Combat is downright labyrinthine - any given attack involves something like 6 different rules (all required).

Second, the non-rules stuff is... about as smart as poop jokes.

TV Tropes has a link to a second edition PDF which the author made, but honestly... you're not really missing all that much.

Tonalberry

I'm ashamed to say I used to own a .pdf of this game.  Never played it, never completely read the rules.  I originally owned it just to say I could, for the lulz.  But I've seen some of the charts and lists inside, and believe me, there is just no way this game could be played in a 'so bad it's awesome' way.  Only in a 'so bad, even after 1000 showers I still feel dirty' kind of way.  I think I have some pictures saved of some of the charts, if I can find them, I'll post them if you want.

fallensaviour

no no i have a pdf...i woudlnt have asked if i didnt ;P

schnookums

Actually, after much research and...okay, I lie, there was no research. But FATAL has one redeeming Factor.

The FATAL spell pretty much ends the world, right? Well, imagine you die and are trapped in hell, with your eternal punishment being forced to play in a FATAL campaign. Well, all you have to do is eventually manage to cast the spell in game, and the game would end. Surely even the most coldhearted fiend from the darkest pits of hell would be obligated to release you after such a torment. All the other damned souls would see you marching to freedom, and whisper "What did *he* do to get released." And when they discover what wretched task was yours, they would shake their heads and return to their own torments, as none would risk playing FATAL, even at a chance for redemption.