You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 06:16:27 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: XP home  (Read 673 times)

Offline SoranTopic starter

XP home
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Okay, I have an issue. I am trying to put a bigger drive in my mom's pc. It is a HP pc which means it comes with no operating system disk, you are able to create your own. However, an error comes up every time I try it. Fdsoft.dll error. I have researched and researched, but have not found away around the error which prevents the cd or dvd being written. It is important to note, you can only do this once, but as the pc has been in my family since it was bought, I know the disk has not yet been created.

So, I was wondering if anyone has a xp home disk I could borrow. It doesn't have to be an original (actually a copy would be preferred) and I have a license, just not an installation disk. I am prepared to pay for any postage and packing plus any inconvenience charges, I just don't want to have to pay out for a new disk.

I am investigating another way around this, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Lithos

Re: XP home
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
Would any relative of yours be at one of the schools that has the agreement thing with Microsoft about their software. If someone is, they can download any windows installation media for free. Microsoft academic alliance or MSDNAA is the thing.

You can check which places are in it via this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/default.aspx

Hopefully this could be some help, if any family member or friend is at member school, they can get the media for you from there. Student or teacher, both are good enough.

Offline SoranTopic starter

Re: XP home
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
Awesome, thanks Lithos :)

Problem resolved! yay!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:53:27 AM by Soran »