Do you have what it takes?

Started by Little Darkling, July 17, 2010, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Darkling

The game is still open searching for any characters listed below, we can incorporate them into the threads..PM me or post in the OOC thread, Thank you.

So I just saw the movie Inception and Id love to do a game using that idea.

Idea:

People saw we only use a fraction of our minds in our lifetimes. But what if you had the power of the subconscious, the power to alter your world through dreams. There are six players in order to make this work, An architect, a chemist, a Mr. Charlie (or leader), a shifter and an investigator and a victim. Each player plays an important role to the idea of inception, which is planting a thought that is not naturally conceived inside the mind of someone and making them believe it is there by their own creation.

The architect designs the levels for each state of the dream one enters. They are responsible for creating the world with which the dreamer enters. They have to be extremely creative in order to match the laws of reality while still understanding that the world they are in isn't real. They must be experts at creating and solving mazes. They are without a doubt genius', as is almost everyone involved but these are the brightest of the bright.

The chemist provides and monitors those who are under, for each level you supersede in a dream the chemist is responsible for keeping you "under" the farther "under" you are, the more stable the dream environment. This person is also responsible for monitoring heart rates and time for how long a person is under. If gone too long they will be lost in limbo.

A Mr./Mrs. Charlie or leader, runs the operation. This person is the most experienced in inception and extraction, therefore this person will be the one others look too for advice if things go wrong.

A shifter is a person who takes the form of another person. Example, if a Mr./Mrs. Charlie picked me as a person to extract from, a shifter would take the shape of a person I value. Someone I look for for guidance. They may shift at any time while under into whomever they are needed to be.

An Investigator is a person who runs background checks on people that a Mr./Mrs. Charlie provides to them as potential victims for this. They are responsible for knowing who the players are in order to give the shifters advice on who to be, they also provide architects with a map of the victims world so they know how to make it seem realistic.

A victim this person is who the team is trying to manipulate. They have the ability to protect their mind with armed forces or an army that causes problems for the team on their mission. They are usually smart but in a time in their life when they are full of doubt, thus leaving them vulnerable and easy to temper with. They usually have something the team wants or is after.

Time is on a continuum when someone is under. Every level makes time move at the lag of 20times. 10 seconds in real time is about 3 minutes on a level 1 under, 20 minutes on a level 2 under and as much as a decade on a level 3 under. To be raised from a level one must require a kick. That sudden feeling that you are falling that often wakes us from dreams is exactly what we need to come back to reality. One cannot die while under, if someone is "killed" they simply wake up, however, pain is in the mind so torture and high amounts of pain will NOT wake one from an under level.

That is a brief synopses of what this game would entail. I expect all participates to be "good writers" and be willing to give a minimum of two or three paragraphs at least, please be decent with spelling and have an imagination. Despite how realistic the worlds are supposed to be this game is all about the imagination. Any more information please feel free to PM me or add me on Yahoo and I will answer all questions anyone has to the best of my ability.

Side note:

This game is not set, Im just laying out what characters I need and what their duties are. I will start and OOC thread if/when I get all five players or more...There maybe duplicates of character types however, no more then two for now. There is a chance I will reopen the game if it takes form well. This game will be adult, there will be sex and sexiness involved, however that will not be the focus of this game. If that is all you are after this isn't the game you are looking for. This game will also have various extra characters that will be discussed in the OOC thread.

Exneal

This sounds incredibly amazing! A shame The Architect position is already taken >.< But still, I would love to be a shifter or an investigator. I love being little parts of the story that have a small influence in certain points of it.

Anyway, check my ONS/OFFS and see what you think of me. If there's anything else you need to know (posting times, current RPs, etc) send me a PM and I'll get to you as soon as possible ;D

Little Darkling

Sounds awesome also, there can be two of each character so if you'd like to be an architect I can place you as one :)

As for first pick which would you rather be an Investigator or a Shifter? I will post your name under characters with your title position and I will make sure to add you too the OOC thread when it is up :)

Also all positions of the team are incredibly important and will require regular posting habit's :)

Exneal

I'm on at least once a day, and when I am on, I can post one thing after another with ease until I step away from the computer (when this happens, I will send you a PM telling you for how much I might be gone so you can know when to expect me). As for preferences... Well, I'll go for a Shifter for now, but if this ends up getting packed and you need an extra Architect, I would be extremely happy to be one ;D

Little Darkling

Exneal

Awesome ;) I won't let you down when/if the time comes! ;D

Little Darkling

Im glad to see you are so excited :D

Idachan

Hm, I haven't seen the movie yet but I love the look of the trailer so I would love to be a part of this. I could do victim or investigator I think.

Little Darkling

Alright a victim is who the team invades, an investigator gets their background. Which would you prefer? :)

Chrystal

Hmmm...

Had a look at this earlier and it looks fun, if complicated. Not seen the movie, but your description makes me think I might want to!

I think, if I was to do this, I would prefer the role of Shifter. I am very versatile in my RP style and can quickly shift between characters, so I would love to play a character that actually does this (as opposed to a schizophrenic one).

I might also be interested in playing the victim if no-one else wants to, but I would need more information on what exactly the victim is doing: Are they simply lying unconscious on a bed while things happen inside their head, Matrix-like, or are they actually being programmed to do something and then let out to do it as per "Dollhouse"?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Little Darkling

Chrystal, everyone is lying unconscious in a room the only one who stays in the real world is the chemist.

But the victim is who the team is trying to find. Trying to extract something or plant something in them and the victim is essentially on the run from the team while everyone is "asleep." They know their dreams are being invaded but don't know who is part of the team and who isn't. The people inside the victims dreams that are not apart of the team are called projections, it's the minds way of feeling secure because its surrounded by people who are familiar.

The projections maybe able to determine who is a part of the team and try and destroy it. If you were to play the victim, you would also be responsible for the projections. There doesn't have to be many of them but it would be more then one role

Chrystal

Sounds fun... Please forgive me for being needlessly dense but not having seen the film in question there is a big questionmark still in my head, so if I may summarise what you just said, and then you tell me if I got it right?

Everyone is in a room, unconcious, their concious minds having been projected into the mind of the Victim who is in the same room. The Victim knows her mind is being toyed with, that some characters in her dream don't belong there, but has no idea which ones. In her dream, other characters (projections) are generated to fight back against the invaders, who are trying to get information from her and/or plant information in her mind. Presumably, this is a form of brain-washing and if successful the victim will then be released, and at some point in the future triggered to do something out of character.

Does that summarise it?

Is the victim in control of the dream environment? Presumably she has hidden herself in her own head, in a place of her own devising, but we all know dreams are subject to random changes of scene.

The more I think about this, the more I like the Victim, but I would like to know, is she allowed to win?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Idachan

I'm up for the investigator in case you want the victim Chrystal.

Little Darkling

Chrystal

Yes the victim can win, by either out smarting the team or figuring out how to wake themselves up. The part about dreaming is we rarely know it until its over and then we realize it was a dream. If the victim can figure out they are in a dream and either "die" thus forcing them to wake up and leaving the others trapped in her mind, unless the chemist gives everyone a "kick" back to reality.

Generally, if the victim wins the team will continue after her until they either die in real life, or are under too long and are forced into madness (limbo)

Everyone on the team minus the chemist has something called a totem. Its something small that can be carried and never noticed, it helps the team members know if they are in the real world or a dream. A great example is a top that spins. In a dream the top will spin forever, never falling thats how you'd know you're dreaming. If the top falls like they all do in real life, then that means they aren't dreaming any longer.

Victims never carry totems.

The idea of this is becoming so wrapped up in dreaming within dreams that its possible to forget what reality is, making each task harder for the team as time passes.

Chrystal

Quote from: Idachan on July 18, 2010, 04:55:53 PM
I'm up for the investigator in case you want the victim Chrystal.

If you don't mind? The other option I liked has already been bagged. But the victim sounds right down my alley.

Is there a posting limit on this? I do try to post once a day, but I have just today gone and expressed interest in as many RPs  as I already have going, if not more... so, I may skip the odd day here and there. I would guess that if I am the one being hunted, as long as the other players give my characters a chance to react when they encounter them, it won't matter too much?

Little Darkling

Correct. I would like regular posting but I know how it is. :)

We are only down a Chemist and a Charlie and then I will PM everyone with the OOC thread where we can talk everything out before we get the game up and going.

Idachan

No, I don't mind at all :)

I would however like a brief explanation on just how an investigator does her work, if you wouldn't mind Sexkitten.

Little Darkling

Idachan

An Investigator does the background work. You would be the one to tell the shifter who they need to be, also, clue people in on what their everyday is like. Work, home, gym...etc. You are responsible for knowing the victims reality.

You may gather information anyway you want, following the person, spying, hacking into their computers...no limits on how you can get your information. You're crucial when under because you can point out who's a bad projection (someone who will harm the team) or a projection the team doesn't need to worry about (like the victims child for instance would rarely be a threat to the team)

All of these parts have to do with huge imaginations, the OOC thread will be a place where you and the victim can get on the same page about what the victims life is like so the story matches up. Once you two agree on the vic's background then the investigator can "create" how they found all the info out.

Twists are always appreciated so if the vic holds something back thats totally fine too.

Idachan

Quote from: sexkitten127 on July 18, 2010, 05:30:54 PM
You may gather information anyway you want, following the person, spying, hacking into their computers...no limits on how you can get your information. You're crucial when under because you can point out who's a bad projection (someone who will harm the team) or a projection the team doesn't need to worry about (like the victims child for instance would rarely be a threat to the team)

All of these parts have to do with huge imaginations, the OOC thread will be a place where you and the victim can get on the same page about what the victims life is like so the story matches up. Once you two agree on the vic's background then the investigator can "create" how they found all the info out.

Twists are always appreciated so if the vic holds something back thats totally fine too.

Thank you, I wasn't clear on that part,  especially after finding that I would be under too.

Little Darkling

Any more questions feel free to ask :)

Chrystal

OH! OH! OOOOOH! *great big lightbulb - sudden epiphany*

I get it now. The victim is wandering around free in the real world, and during the day, the team investigate her and stalk her or whatever. Then at night, when she goes to sleep, they go into their "matrix" style comas and invade her dreams. If she looks like waking up, the Chemist has to pull the team back in time to prevent them being trapped. Assuming he succeeds, but the Victim wasn't successfully programmed, they can try again the next night...

Is that it?

Exneal

This looks like it's picking up! I'm rather excited ;D I've never done a group RP here before so it should be interesting. I myself am pretty clear on the shifters role. It's pretty simple, to be honest... But it allows me to be versatile, which I love!

Seriously, I'm glad to see this is catching interest fast ;)

Little Darkling

Yes Chrystal! :D

Exneal:

Im excited too, I was afraid this game wouldn't catch. Im willing to play the Mrs Charlie role once we find a chemist so we can get things under way :D

Chrystal

Okay, so.... there's just one little detail I'm lacking and then I can post up some stats....

What does my character do that makes her a suitable "victim"? In other words, what is the over-all purpose of the attack.

Little Darkling

You have something the team wants

a bank account number, a location of a missing person, a large amount of inheritance that you have the power to control....anything that is worth this kind of manipulation.

Also, the person is generally feeling confused. Which makes them vulnerable and possibly easier to invade. I say confused because normally when people are set, inception is almost impossible, the fact that the victim is naturally questioning this information makes the teams job easier.

Now for the sake of rp if you dont want to be confused, then the team has to work harder on different levels to create doubt in your mind,