You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:23:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Windows Vista vs. Windows 7  (Read 1874 times)

Offline CaeliTopic starter

Windows Vista vs. Windows 7
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7 (only $30! finally!), but I've put off changing the OS on my computer because it's been a while since I've done the "entire computer backup", as I usually only stick to my most important files and documents.

I have some quick questions before I decide when I want to do this:
1. Does it take very long to do? Are there a lot of extra little things that are required after the initial OS switch?
2. I've heard from some friends that the Windows 7 upgrade does not require a software/data backup. Is this true? (I'll do it anyway, but I'm just curious)
3. Is the change worth it? How long did it take you to get used to the new OS?
4. What significant changes in usage are there?
5. Are there any external or accessory programs that you would recommend for use with Windows 7?

Without doing the switch yet, I don't have anything more specific, but I think that'll do for now.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Offline Soran

Re: Windows Vista vs. Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:45:54 AM »
Hi Caeli.

I can't answer your first question as I installed Windows 7 as a clean install, not an upgrade.
2/ I haven't bothered with a software backup. The only time I had to reinstall it was when my internet security went nuts.
3/ YES! Absolutely. Windows 7 is much less of a resource hog than vista. It is very easy to get used to. Some elements are like vista so you shouldn't have any issues. I found it very easy to use from the off.
4/...hhm usage. I'm not really sure what you mean. It boots quickly and shuts down just as quick. It feels as if its built around the vista model, but also has the easy usability of xp (from my perspective)
5/ There is a virtual pc with xp which you can load to use your older xp programs with if the compatibility option doesn't work.

From my point of view, Windows 7 is a much better O/S than vista. A lot less temperamental and much more stable. I won't pretend there isn't the occasional issue, but I think its well worth the change.

Good luck :)

Offline princeben07

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm running Vista Black Edition 2010 and it blows Widnows 7 to HELL.

No crashes, no loss of data, easy setup and driver packs are updated through Automatic Updates. Windows 7 does an upgrade fine. You should have a problem WITH Windows 7.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Ok, I don't think there's much differences. With 7 you lose the "Always on top" option for your windows, but there's a widget you can download to get it back. The half screens are great if you have a large screen, but on a normal size laptop I don't use it that much. ummmmmmmm you have to use a separate e-mail provider, like Mozilla Thunderbird, because outlook express isn't on 7, other than that not a lot of difference. I didn't have to back up anything, and didn't lose anything during the switch. I don't remember it taking that long time-wise to do. 

Offline Chevalier des Poissons

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:39 PM »
I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7 (only $30! finally!), but I've put off changing the OS on my computer because it's been a while since I've done the "entire computer backup", as I usually only stick to my most important files and documents.

I have some quick questions before I decide when I want to do this:
1. Does it take very long to do? Are there a lot of extra little things that are required after the initial OS switch?
2. I've heard from some friends that the Windows 7 upgrade does not require a software/data backup. Is this true? (I'll do it anyway, but I'm just curious)
3. Is the change worth it? How long did it take you to get used to the new OS?
4. What significant changes in usage are there?
5. Are there any external or accessory programs that you would recommend for use with Windows 7?

Without doing the switch yet, I don't have anything more specific, but I think that'll do for now.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

1. One hour most.
2. Yes, it is true. But you made the right decision, just in case.
3. Definitely. Forget every complain you had about Vista, they won't apply to 7
4. Windows 7 is very lighter and much more user friendly than Vista.
5. Not that I recall off.

Offline Transgirlenstein

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:38 AM »
Wait.  If I update my laptop from Vista to Windows, I don't need to backup anything?  Like all my files and documents would be fine?  Really?

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Wait.  If I update my laptop from Vista to Windows, I don't need to backup anything?  Like all my files and documents would be fine?  Really?

Vista is another Windows. If you go from Vista to 7 you don't need to backup anything, this is a feature Windows has: When upgrading to a newer version there is no need for back-ups, for you won't have to format the HDD.

You would only need backups for a downgrade (7 to Vista, Vista to XP, and there goes on), for you'd need a format in this case.

Offline Transgirlenstein

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:31:17 AM »
Vista is another Windows. If you go from Vista to 7 you don't need to backup anything, this is a feature Windows has: When upgrading to a newer version there is no need for back-ups, for you won't have to format the HDD.

You would only need backups for a downgrade (7 to Vista, Vista to XP, and there goes on), for you'd need a format in this case.

Sweet.  Between that and the Vista memory issues I'm having, you just sold me on Windows 7.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
After watching my husband deal with Vista, and then get a new desktop with Win7 - even if you had to get a backup, nuke the old machine until it glowed, and then reinstall everything from 5.25 floppies, it would be worth it.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
For some reason, my laptop gave me this compatibility error when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7:

Windows Vista™ Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

I'm kind of ticked off. =_= I've spent the last four hours (and counting) backing up my important files and my most recently downloaded movies and Asian dramas.

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
For some reason, my laptop gave me this compatibility error when I tried to upgrade to Windows 7:

I'm kind of ticked off. =_= I've spent the last four hours (and counting) backing up my important files and my most recently downloaded movies and Asian dramas.

There is still an option that will save you from back-ups.

Upgrade from Vista Home Premium to vista Business, then upgrade it to Windows 7 Professional.

That happens because the Home versions of Vista and 7 don't have some of the basic functions (Including use of wallpapers, weirdly), hence why the Home's are known as "Windows for dummies".

It won't be free, but it will save you those hours.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
Ah... is that why it wouldn't work?

Well, I'm done backing up my files, so I'm going to go ahead and "upgrade" (a.k.a. do a fresh install). It'll help my computer run faster, anyway... now all I need is to write down all the programs that I'll need to re-download in the future!

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
Ah... is that why it wouldn't work?

Well, I'm done backing up my files, so I'm going to go ahead and "upgrade" (a.k.a. do a fresh install). It'll help my computer run faster, anyway... now all I need is to write down all the programs that I'll need to re-download in the future!

(It would take less time to go to another vista version then hop to 7. Specially because of the compatibility thing)

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
Yes, except I would need to purchase another version of Vista... I don't have that kind of money lying around. :P

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
Yes, except I would need to purchase another version of Vista... I don't have that kind of money lying around. :P

Details, details... 8-)

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Details, details... 8-)

8)

Plus, doing a fresh install will wipe all of the crap out of my computer. The thought is very tempting.

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
8)

Plus, doing a fresh install will wipe all of the crap out of my computer. The thought is very tempting.

Pr0n?

Thanks Athena I don't have those kinds of thing here :P

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
Mostly games and extra programs that I don't use. *nods* I haven't done a defrag or a reformat in months.

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 09:54:45 PM »
Mostly games and extra programs that I don't use. *nods* I haven't done a defrag or a reformat in months.

To be honest, the reformat isn't that necessary (Except in your current case). Whenever you are over with the transition drop me a PM and I will give a set of maintenance tools that, allied to the defrag, prevented my computer from being formatted for the last 2 years. And counting.