Post by Image Roleplays

Started by dready, June 18, 2010, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dready

They're like one of those old video games where you control your character through a series of suggested actions to take, like 'Lift boulder' or 'Head East' normally in the fashion of a verb followed by a noun. You can find them among the internet nowadays, such as MS Paint Adventures, Ruby Quest, and White Room to list a few. It works as such: A single artist or a small group of artists draw the first image, usually giving you a quick summary of the area the main character is in. Someone then puts up a suggestion and the artist(s) then create the next image, with some sort of text below the image to assist with describing the repercussions of the suggestion.

Here's an example:

> You are Ember Firethroat, an elementalist who commands fire. You awaken in your room to the sun's rays shining through your window. You stand up from your bed and examine the room about you, spotting the rather obvious window and door which leads out to the firepit. The walls of your small hut are decorated with trinkets and shiny objects which you've found throughout your training, each commemorating the small achievements you have made.

What will you do?

>Examine the Trinkets<

>You take a step closer to the wall of Trinkets, and reflect on your past. Each simple item brings a flash of a memory before your eyes as you smile, remembering the fun you had as a child and the ambition to become an elementalist. A specific Trinket, which is a Ruby shaped like a serpent, catches your eye as it reminds you of when you discovered that you were best with the element of fire.

>Take Ruby Trinket<

>You unhook the trinket from the wall and fashion a necklace from a stray piece of string, hanging it over your shoulders and about your neck, your thumb and forefinger rubbing against it as you feel a slight warmth from it's shape. Outside you can hear what sounds like a celebration starting.

And it would continue as such.

Simple: doesn't it seem that way? What's better is that most of these Post by Image Roleplays are open to suggestions from the public. I myself have even started one. So check them out, as it's like a story that you yourself had put a hand into making, because it actually is YOU who helps create the story.

ArtemisHighmore

If I might comment, I like the idea and I believe I have played it before.

It also sounds a lot like D&D, just adding in pictures to help the characters.
Perhaps I am way off track here, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

I wish you the best with this.
With Regards,
Artemis (Chris)

dready

It actually is like the first DnD games, before there were dice involved and all you could do was say 'I want to do this' and the GM/DM would then tell you what happens next.

ArtemisHighmore

Interesting. I fear I never had the chance to experience the first versions of D&D. Too young.

dready

I'm only 20 and I've played it that way lots of times. Just depends on if you want to deal with making everything up on the spot or planning bits and pieces together which can be flexible enough for what the players perform.

ArtemisHighmore

Oh I plan everything out. If I know that I will be DMing soon, I set aside blocks of time to design the dungeons, selecting everything. True, making it up on the spot can be fun, and I have shared many great adventures that way, but I am a planner personally and so I like to have a general idea of where I am leading my victims players in their quest for glory.

dready

haha, sounds stable enough. I always make my games flexible because most players won't do what you plan on them doing.

Chance Hawthorne

That's a very intriguing game.  I have not actually played any set in that format.  But it sounds very fascinating.

dready

Quote from: Chance Hawthorne on June 19, 2010, 12:35:26 AM
That's a very intriguing game.  I have not actually played any set in that format.  But it sounds very fascinating.
Depends on which version you play. Each has it's own bonuses and problems.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about a Post by Image Roleplay.