You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 03:59:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 32649 times)

Offline Arhys

Re: FIFA World Cup
« Reply #750 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Bah...Detroiters know what to do with octopi.

The Octopus Tradition of the Detroit Red Wings HD

Offline NicholasTopic starter

• Mr. Nice Guy (or so I am told) :-) Jag's Mulder *muse crack* Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) King of Terrible. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #751 on: July 08, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
It was a great game. But there was way too less offensive play from the Germans.

Spain won - and they deserved it. Damn, they're good. I hope they'll make it.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #752 on: July 08, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
http://gawker.com/5582463/psychic-octopus-unfazed-by-death-threats

Paul has been Germany's soccer oracle since 2008. Now, with a perfect World Cup prediction record, Paul's fame is growingóbut so, too, are the death threats.

Offline Shoshana

« Reply #753 on: July 08, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
Down with death threats to Paul the octopus! Don't blame the messenger, people! (Glad to see he's unfazed and protected.  :-))
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:13:59 PM by Shoshana »

Offline Remiel

« Reply #754 on: July 08, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
I'll be cheering for Spain (and Germany in the 3rd place match) but I miiiight be persuaded to change my allegiance, and my avatar, to something Dutch if I can get a kiss from Imogen.  ;)

Offline Lithos

« Reply #755 on: July 08, 2010, 05:37:57 PM »
I will be cheering for Spain - both for the impressive feat of beating current German team - but also for the fact that this is their _first_ world cup final I believe despite how good they are at soccer.

Offline Kitsunetsuki

• ~I am the yummy pie~ <3
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • cute little heartbreaker sweet little lovemaker
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #756 on: July 09, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
Ah well, I'm all about the Spaniards ;)

Go Spain! ;D

Offline Imogen

« Reply #757 on: July 09, 2010, 05:08:38 AM »
I'll be cheering for Spain (and Germany in the 3rd place match) but I miiiight be persuaded to change my allegiance, and my avatar, to something Dutch if I can get a kiss from Imogen.  ;)

-smooch- Anything for you, Remiel ;-)

and also:

Beesies: Hup Holland Hup

Hup Holland hup
Laat de leeuw niet in z'n hempie staan
Hup Holland hup
Trek het beestje geen pantoffels aan
Hup Holland hup
Laat je uit 't veld niet slaan
Want de leeuw op voetbalschoenen
Durft de hele wereld aan

I hope we'll win but I am thrilled the Netherlands made it the finals anyway! Bert van Marwijk and his team did an awsome job!! I am so proud that after years of playing beautiful soccer and not getting anywhere they have found a working compromise. I still would love to see more of their skillful play, but I'm happy we're back on par with the top soccer nations.

Offline Nyarly

« Reply #758 on: July 09, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
So Germany has lost. Too late. Much too late...

Offline Ridcully

« Reply #759 on: July 09, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »
The Octopus - it's name is Paul, btw  - has chosen the winners of the last two matches today. There had even been "live feeds" on German media. Ah, civilisation...

Saturday: Urugay - Germany
Winner: Germany

Sunday: Netherlands - Spain
Winner: Spain

Offline Remiel

« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
smooch- Anything for you, Remiel ;-)

A deal's a deal.

HUP HUP HOLLAND!

Offline NicholasTopic starter

• Mr. Nice Guy (or so I am told) :-) Jag's Mulder *muse crack* Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) King of Terrible. Always innocent despite what Caedy says. Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Knight
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
HAHA!

Offline Ridcully

« Reply #762 on: July 10, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
Meh.

Germanys plays tonight, and I feel no excitement at all.

Matches for the 3rd place are usually totally uninteresting and senseless. In 2006, it was way important for the team - it was the emotional, very very emotional goodbye from the team to the crowds and vice versa in the home World Cup, and it was Kahn's last appearance on the national team.

But this time, a few thousand miles away in South Africa, after the disappointment against Spain? I feel nothing. I'd be happy for Klose to mark his two goals to get the record, but otherwise...*shrugs*

Plus, Paul already told us we'd win. So, the excitement is really gone.

Offline Shoshana

« Reply #763 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:33 AM »
Plus, Paul already told us we'd win. So, the excitement is really gone.

I respect Paul's prediction, but I'm hoping he was wrong this time. I'm still rooting for Uruguay, even if it's only for third place. :P

Offline Arhys

« Reply #764 on: July 10, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »
I was in Stuttgart in 2006 for their closing match (not at the game) and it was just amazing.  Everyone was chanting "Stuttgart ist viel schoener als Berlin" and the streets were a madhouse.  My friends and I got to see the team entering their hotel, we had chosen a shortcut past all of the crowd in front and lucked out, so that was pretty neat.

I'm looking forward to tonight, they did really well and for such a young team I think we can be quite proud of them.  Not to mention 4-0 against Argentina is a legendary accomplishment, especially with what you posted about Mueller and Maradona.  I'm just waiting closer to game time for the Hefe, and then plan on enjoying it.

~Ed.  Ack, the flu hit the German team, half the team (tv's words)  will be out.  Klose, Podolski, Lahm.  http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,705774,00.html  German only sorry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:35:31 PM by Arhys »

Offline Phobetor

« Reply #765 on: July 10, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »
Mer. I'm indecisive when it comes to Uruguay and Germany. Whoever wins, wins.

Now Spain vs Netherlands...OMG!! I DON'T KNOW WHO TO GO FOR!!!! @_@

Villa vs Sneijder
*rips hair*

Offline Ramster

« Reply #766 on: July 10, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »

These ladies agree with me:

HUP HOLLAND HUP! AANVALLUUUUH!

Offline Phobetor

« Reply #767 on: July 10, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
BTW:
...The goal that Forlan just did made me O. Seriously.  :-[

I feel bad for Suarez. =/ He keeps getting boo'ed.

Offline Shoshana

« Reply #768 on: July 10, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »

I'm cheering for him here from home! I still think that was the best handball I've ever seen, and he took his lumps for it. Heck, I think I'm going to get me a Suarez jersey.  8-)

Offline Stan'

• The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be!
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • The Ultimate RP Warrior!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #769 on: July 10, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

You shouldn't.  He's made it perfectly clear he has no regrets about conning Ghana out of the semi-finals.

Offline Imogen

« Reply #770 on: July 10, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
He shouldn't have regrets, imho, but that's old news ;-) I think Uruguay played well as did Germany, occasionally very nice combination play, and incredible fighting spirit. I had a better time watching that than I thought I'd have :-)

Offline Imogen

« Reply #771 on: July 10, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
Oh..and this one is old.. but hey, still good..In Dutch, unfortunately. I think German speakers can understand what's being said though :-P

Luis Suarez in komische commercial Beter Horen

Offline Remiel

« Reply #772 on: July 10, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
Paul really is psychic! =O

I love the way Uruguay always keeps fighting until the very last minute, the very last second, even in a 3rd place match. Love it.  I wish the USA had that much passion and tenacity.  Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez...those two are world-class calibre. 

And, really, everybody who's still complaining about Suarez needs to stop.  Really.  It happened, it's done, let's move on.  Like the announcers said: if Gyan had made the penalty kick, all of this controversy would have been a moot point.  Ghana needs to get over itself.

But the Germans...even without Klose, Podalski, and Lahm, they played some very impressive football indeed.  Their defense was impeccable.  I foresee great things for Ozil. 

But I am happy.  I finally got to see Jogi Loew in a scarf. :)

Offline Imogen

« Reply #773 on: July 10, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Off-topic: Orange becomes you, Remiel ;-)

Offline Phobetor

« Reply #774 on: July 11, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »
You shouldn't.  He's made it perfectly clear he has no regrets about conning Ghana out of the semi-finals.

He shouldn't have any regrets. You do what you do for your team. He did it, he took his punishment. Done deal. People are still going to be bitter, people are still going to say he cheated. Whatevs. If you were in his shoes and you had .5 seconds to think about saving your teams shot at the World Cup, you'd do whatever was necessary. And I still feel bad for him, because no matter what getting boo'ed while you're in the field sucks.

Anyway.

I think I'm going to go for Netherlands. Just to go against Paul. *shakes fist at the damn octopus*