Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I remember when this film came out, I thought "there's no way I'm going to watch that, looks like some stupid family movie". How I was wrong. It was on television a few months ago, and when I saw it, I almost instantly fell in love with it. However, it was only on in the background, so when it came back on last month, I made sure to watch from beginning to end. Glad I did.
So this is my idea. It is an alternative 1950s. This is particularly influenced by the science fiction and the old pulp stories of the era. Imagine that neither of the World Wars happened, and that instead of Germany falling to the Nazi party -- the United States did instead. Throughout years of silence, they have been developing weapons that are capable of conquering the world. I'm not just talking about rockets, but huge B-movie robots and tanks that will destroy anything in their path. Think of it as a combination of:
• War of the Worlds
• Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade
• Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
• Fallout 3
• Terminator in 2029
, the legendary fighter pilot, was born in Winnipeg, Canada. When he was a kid, his parents fought over where their son should be brought up. His father won the argument, and they moved back to their native country of Scotland. At a young age, the only thing he ever wanted to do was fly a plane. And as soon as he showed up at the air field, they knew he had talent. Now at the young age of 24, he leads No. 34 Squadron
, the elite of the elite. Propaganda describes Capt. Argyle as one of the greatest pilots of his generation. Argyle likes to think that's true.
“My name's Argyle. I need a group of lads and lassies that are gonnae fly with me on some of the most dangerous missions the RAF have. If it's got wings and an engine, chances are I've already flown it. Don't matter where it came from, or what the nationality is, I've taken her to the clouds and back. Now, a little bit more about the current state of the world.
The Royal Air Force are the best in the world. We enlist from all corners of the British Empire. The most common Fighters you'll find in the RAF are the Hawker Hurricanes and the Hawker Typhoons, known for their reliability, firepower and effecient production costs. Basically, that means they're gonnae be cheap to make, and cheap to keep in the skies. If we lose a couple, we’re not gonnae have to empty the vault of gold to pay for more.
However, the real beauty of the RAF comes in the form of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk VT. It’s the fifth version of the popular and legendary fighter aircraft. It’s nickname’s “Turbo”, that’s why the “T” is at the end if you were wondering. I’ve modified mine to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the engine. It really is the pinacle of the flying machines.
Yeah, I just love to fly it. And in my spare time? You cannae go a few hundred miles without a race happening. Come in first, get the women, fix up the engine. All part of the routine.German EmpireSome folk give them bad press, but these guys are alright. Germany, or Prussia, or what ever they're calling themselves these days is a big collection of states smack bang in the middle of Europe. Their air force might not be up to much, but piss off a Kraut in his tank and you're either gonnae have a big damn tread from your balls to your head, or we're gonnae have to send out a search party for every limb in your body. I know a couple of the boys stationed in Bavaria, and they put on some damn, fine races.
• Has remained Nazi-free. Good relations with the British Empire, due to the English Royal Family and German Emperor being distant blood relatives.
• Ruled by Diederick II with Walther Klos being Commander of the Luftwaffe.
• Notable allies to Argyle’s Fighter Squadron are Captain Danmark and Lieutenant Hunziker, who have the highest confirmed kills in mainland Europe.
• Casually nicknamed "The Second Reich"British EmpireThe best damn thing in the world. Yeah, well that's what they like to boast about anyway. Me? I'm not too fussed on the idea of having an empire where the sun goes to bed. Is that the slogan? I don't pay much attention to the posters all around. So we've got the British flag poking out of India, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Africa. But the biggest base is Canada, my second favourite country in the whole wide world. Except the French part.
• Henry Low is the Commander of the Royal Air Force, and is the man that gives Argyle and his team their orders.
• As well as their historical territory gains, the British Empire also controls Norway and the northern French region of Normandie, dating back to the days of the Norman conquest of 1066. This means they have hundreds of air fields all over the world that Argyle can refuel and bunk at. The only other difference is Quebec is independant from Canada, and allied with France.RussiaThe communists tried to take over a few years ago, but that didn't go too well. The difference between us and them, is while we flank around a machine gun nest and shoot at it from behind, they seem to think throwing a couple hundred guys at it until it runs out of bullets seems to be the way forward. Guess that's why they failed. The Russians keep to themselves, never really dipping their fingers in to the international stage. I wouldn't fly anywhere near them though, shooting down aircraft seems to be a favourite hobby of theirs.
• Alaska is still part of Russia, it was never sold to the Americans.
• Soviet Union does not, has not, and never will exist.FranceHate them. They've been pulling faces at us across the Channel for the last fifty years, and one of these days I'm gonnae accidently drop a large, nuclear bomb down their arseholes.
• A communist country, it's allied with Quebec, Vietnam, China and various African colonies.United Facist States of America (UFSA or USA)I don't know much about them. Another big country that's isolated itself from the rest of the world. As far as I know, half the country's a wasteland, the result of countless nuclear experiments. The north and south have been going at it for the past hundred years or so, I don't know whether they're pals and holding hands, or still pissing in each other's breakfast.
• Somewhere down the line, fascism has assimilated the United States, rather than Germany. An unnamed right-wing fascist government currently has complete control over the country, and is preparing for war.
• Various parts of northern Mexico, as well as the Carribean, have been annexed.
• Officially called the United Fascist States of Northern America, it is more commonly shortened to either the United Fascist States, or simply the United States [of America].A Little More...
As well as the science fiction elements, I’m looking for exotic adventures. Damsels-in-distress kidnapped by Air Pirates
can be included. I suppose time travel could be involved, if it makes sense to the plot. Not all Americans will be the enemy, there’s some resistance groups dotted about. Looking for both male and female players to take on the role as either pilots, or various other characters. Female pilots are more than welcome. If I have enough names, I’ll put up a character template in a bit.
No. 34 Squadron (Royal Air Force)
Squadron 237 (German Luftwaffe)
87th Fighter Squadron (US Air Force)
15. Parachute Brigade (Commonwealth)
Royal Marine Commandos (Commonwealth)
American Resistance (USA)