Dark Fantasy RP

Started by Sabriel, May 24, 2010, 04:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

-Work in Progress-

Hello readers

I am looking for two things people to join in a story and well someone to sort of oversee the story as it where. So I won't be going into a massive amount of detail here as to a sort of setting or such since well that can be negotiated based upon interest and whatever would work best.

So get to the point of it all I am looking for a D&D based game preferably using the 3.5 rules set if we use rules at all.  Now I would like this game to be set in a sort of made up fantasy world which contains an Underdark and traditional Drow society. 

My concept for what I would like the game to be about is the story of an up and coming noble Drow house which previously held power within the city but due to wars and strife fell from favour.  Although it was not destroyed and managed to survive still through deals, influence over the underdark, pacts and perhaps Lolth's wishes it has for sometime been seen as a shadow of its former glory.

The house has not been stagnant however and was never truly a weak one it has some of the  most formidable allies and pacts in the region. The matron mother of the house is a strange sort who seamed none to bothered by her houses sudden fall in favour, confidently believing it was just a temporary setback. For some time her concerns have been fixed upon building her houses powers in other ways.  Of course those in House Melani know that there Matron Mother is simply bidding her time and allowing many of the other houses to underestimate her, allowing her to focus upon her current goals without the worry of serious threats to her house.

House Melani “Mother's of the Widow”

Inarra Melani is the Matron mother of House Melani and was once a feared and respected figure in the Drow community. Many of the Drow believe she has lost her edge and slipped from the position  of one of Lolth's most favoured priestesses. She is however a very cunning and scheming Drow and  many still fear her and her house even those who have ascended above her houses status. Despite her houses fall from favour she and her priestesses make up some of the most dedicated and fanatical servants of the Spider Queen. House Melani has extensive contacts within the other races of the Underdark and its rumoured to have fell pacts and creatures under its command. There are even tales of bizarre magical experiments and breeding programs more than one house has claimed to have lost spies to the strange products of these tales.  Matron Inarra Melani herself is know to have a bizarre entourage of followers and bodyguards ranging from an Illithid advisor to giant spider creatures which serve as her preferred mode of transportation and demonic bodyguards. 

Matron Mother Inarra Melani -High Priestess of Lolth, Mother of the Widow

Inarra Melani is a enigmatic figure in the Drow society of Orbben v'dre she looks younger than many of her own and many daughters and claims to be the Mother of the city.  Most Drow consider this a boast and claim to being the most important and noble chosen servant of Lolth in the city. However Inarra Melani has never tried to rule the city as a whole although her House has always made its defence and advancements one of its primary concerns. 

Some of the older Drow know the truth behind Inarra's words that she is far more ancient that she would have others believe and that she sowed the seeds that crafted Orbben v'dre itself. It is a well established fact that House Melani claims to be one of the founding Houses of Orbben v'dre but few in the house actually claim that there House was responsible for the very creation of the city and the first temple of Lolth there in.

Those that know Inarra Melani well know she is anything but what she seams and that her Houses fall from favour of late is a worrying sign.  Many believe she has finally begun to succumb to her old age if not in physical looks and frailty then perhaps in other less noticeable ways. Yet she is still a well respected and feared figure in the community, even more so by some because they fear what her delusions may be. 

Many bizarre and strange rumours surround Inarra Melani and she never seams eager to dismiss any of them, she even seams to discourage her children from doing so although many of them know the truth of the matter.  One that holds truth among all the rumours is that Inarra Melani makes regular sacrifices to Lolth, her preferences for sacrifices are as Lolth prefers, although she tends to end up sacrificing more males than anything else.  An unusual part of the rumour is that Inarra Melani makes habits of mimicking arachnid behaviour she regularly apparently chooses a male Drow to mate with and when the act is done devours them body and soul in honour of Lolth. Some doubt this claim although many are quite quick to point to the fact that many wayward Drow males have disappeared suddenly never to be seen or found.

Inarra Melani's position in the temple of Lolth is as the founder of said temple and the High Priestess, many have tried to push her from this position but as things stand there are far more Drow who would prefer to keep her there than see her disposed and the temple thrown into chaos. Over the years she has sown so much doubt and fear into the minds of the priestesses that many actually believe Lolth would not permit such. Inarra Melani does not lead the church or making all of its decisions however she is just respected and seen as the most noteworthy authority on Drow history and there religion.

She seams very content to allow the other priestesses to bicker and fight over the direction of there society and only occasionally nowadays does she try to sway the decisions in her own favour or direction. The only real dedication of late that Inarra seams to show is towards Lolth, other than her own bizarre pursuits and house matters she only seams to get involved when things are relevant to the survival of Orbben v'dre or disrespectful to Lolth. 

If there are those that fear Inarra most of all it are those who are disloyal and traitors to the Drow race, she despises any signs of lack of faith and failing to worship in Lolth. Within House Melani thanks to some of Inarra's demands are some of Orbben v'dre most passionate and evil inquisitors and “Fang's of Lolth” these heretic hunters and assassins eagerly track down renegade Drow and those who are disloyal to the race to see that they are punished appropriately.

Among her other obsessions is the production and perfection of guardians and soldiers for Lolth and Orbben v'dre,  few outside her House have even guessed at these practices although it is known that she has some kind of breeding program, strange allies and pacts with vile creatures. Its not known why Inarra interests herself in these things but she has on more than one occasion sent unusual creatures or monstrous spider to the defence of the city or the temple.

Among her strange allies are the Illithid Ehuth-llzae who serves House Melani in several facets primarily as an advisor and companion to Inarra. Little is known about Ehuth-llzae except that it has forever and always been at Inarra's side. What kind of deal Inarra has with the Illithid and there community is unknown but whatever it is it seams to be a favourable friendship as the Illithid's and Drow trade among one another and co-exist with what in the Underdark is almost unheard of  peace. Many of Inarra's other associates other than the children of her house are  little heard of or known but its widely believed she knows many of the creatures of the Abyssal realm on intimate levels and is quite capable of effecting services from them.

When she leaves her house she does so in perhaps the most blasé display of care among any of the Matron mothers of the city,  she rarely has a full entourage with her and instead of being carried forth on disc she rides boldly to her destination on her faithful spider mount.  Of course this does leave her quite unprotected not having her own personal army around to defend herself, but she seams confident in her standing and companions. Many of the Drow of course don't even see it as a sign of weakness they see it as the strength of Inarra's convictions and that she trusts in Lolth to protect her in essence many of the Matron Mothers envy her for this fact.  Of course there is always at least a few who act upon the idea she is addled and deluded and attempt to stage a coo,  which so far as resulted only badly for the attackers. When she is not in the public temple to Lolth she is in her own equally lavish private temple or attending to the many matters of her House.                     

What I am looking for

People interested in joining in a focused Drow story, with elements of other underdark cultures thrown in. Exploration of the themes of Drow society and well House Melani's interests in such things as Necromancy, Aracnomancy, pacts, bizarre experiments and breeding programs.

Ideally people who want to be a part of House Melani as well not being part of it could make working together as a group kind of awkward, although I am sure there might be some exceptions with things such as allies etc.

What Id prefer not to see

Drizzt clones, don't really want to see any characters who are in any way like Drizzt or obsessed with running around dual wielding scimitars and killing things with big X mark patterns.  Its pretty lame enough and not to mention mind numbly boring when R.A Salvatore overdoes it don't need anyone else adding to that.

Sexual Content

I am sure there will be ample opportunity for encounters and perhaps even Drow “love” heh and a tangled web of all sorts of sticky encounters.  But well that should always remain just an element of the story and not entirely dominate it like a eager Matron whipping a stray male into shape.

Thank you for reading and well if your interested in helping out or joining in Id love to hear from you, one of the things I would love about this is if everybody involved added to the world. So that the group together would have there own creation to play out the story in, which perhaps might inspire other such stories to further explore aspects of said world.

elfguy

Pamine is always willing to join a strong Drow house like this. She is strong, skilled, selfish, thinks of herself before anyone else, a perfect dark elf really.

Name: Pamine

House: Melani

Sexuality: Bi

Profession (Role): General of the Army, Leader of the Guard

Equipment: Her trusted sword and armor, made specifically for her. Very durable, they are made of the finest elven materials. As a Dark Knight, she also has limited magical powers, including the ability to freeze her enemies, slowing their movements, and regenerate her injuries very quickly whenever she is in the shadow or darkness

Ons: Dominating, being dominated

Offs: Nothing really

Bio: Pamine is not a Priestess, and as such has no chance of becoming the Matron Mother someday. She is however the closest Drow to the official family than any other. As General, she was appointed by the Matron Mother herself to lead all of the armies, as well as the royal guard. She does not directly lead every little assault or practice run, instead delegating to various commanders, but she does take personal responsibility for the safety of the Matron Mother and her daughters. She has always been completely loyal to them, and followed every order without doubt. As such, she is one of the few to be trusted and respected by so many in the house, something few Drow can say.

Personality: She is ruthless, and carries her orders in the most brutal way possible. She loves to torture other races, like goblin or orc slaves. While she greatly respects both the Matron Mother and Priestesses, she despise males, and while she won't ever go against them without being ordered to do so, she will watch and smile if one gets taken out in an assassination. She likes hard, rough sex. She likes to dominate males and females, and also likes to be dominated by strong female drow, but never males.

----

Sabriel

Hehe neat well I am sure they would be willing to accept her, although you might find that the Drow don't quite see you as an equal as such.  Drow can be rather stubborn as a race when it comes to there opinion of others, they view most others as only being fit as slaves.  It might be a bit complicated to explain why a different sub species of Elf is willing to work with the Drow although I suppose there are always a few exceptions that can be made. Also Elves tend to despise Drow that is one of the Drows greatest weaknesses really that basically they are so reviled and hated by most other species.

That all said I do believe there is great possibility for a character of this sort to be included and well worked into a story, perhaps as a mercenary that has turned on her own race in service to House Melani acting as an informant and general mercenary when it would not do for a "Drow" to be involved. I.E they might use her to gather information or speak with certain parties not wishing those involved to know of Drow involvement in the matter.  The last thing anyone would expect to be willing to be working for the Drow is an actual non Drow Elf  ;D

elfguy

She is a drow, so I'd enter her in as part of the house. She has a lighter skin in the picture because I actually made her to be a Wood Elf / Dark Elf hybrid, but for the purpose of this RP she would be pure drow.
----

Cardwolf

Name: ? Alias: Archon

House: Melani

Sexuality: Hetero

Profession: Assassin

Bio: Archon, a shady assassin in the employment of House Melani.  He has few morals and less patience for those that won't do what is neccessary to advance the house.  His skills with blades are second to but a few and those who surpass him there fall prey to his poisons.  He constantly disguises himself in various forms and speaks only to the highest members of the house for work as he trusts them not to be foolish as to be caught speaking to him.  Archon is rarely seen outside of the compound unless he is on business and is constantly finding ways to better his practice.

Personality:  Archon's personality can be described as a gentleman's at best and a lunatic at worst.  His varying personas have left him without a purchase of releasing his true self to anyone so he goes with whatever best suits the situation in his mind.

Perferences: Any, no mutatilation, vore or scat.

Krayz

I've been trying to get a group RP with drow up, but yours seems to be better set up :)

Name: Akai’zhar Zakath

House: Ally of Melani

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Profession: Necromancer

Equipment: The Sceptre of Akai’zhar is a potent magical item that magnifies the necromancer’s control over the undead. The black orb on top is also capable of being used as a receptacle for souls, useful for a number of magical spells, and the sceptre itself is a magical weapon capable of striking incorporeal beings. Akai’zhar also has a small hoard of miscellaneous magical items to supplement his limited spell pool.

Ons: Domination, power, causing pain, manipulation, humiliating and degrading women, etc.

Offs: Submission, love, tenderness, etc.

Bio:Akai'zhar Zakath was born almost three hundred years ago, and even in his early days his skills with the arcane were a marvel among the magical drow elves. However, he was also known for his impudence and his fascination with death and the dead, an area that male drow are expected to leave in the hands of the priesthood. Despite this, Akai’zhar, some even say because of this, delved deeply into the arts of necromancy, and became one of the most feared mages in the city of Orbben v'dre. However, as he was no friend of the priesthood, he chose to ally himself with the Matron Mother of House Melani, preferring to serve one priestess than the whole of them. Even the Matron of Melani doesn't fully know the depths of Akai'zhar's dark magics, and it is widely whispered that he is no longer fully among the living....

Personality: Akai’zhar is known for his open viciousness and contempt for all those around him, restrained only in the presence of the mightiest priestesses. He is arrogant to the point of madness, with where the border between confidence and arrogance being a continuing debate between him and his fellow male drow. It is well-known that Akai’zhar’s mannerisms are only tolerated by House Melani because of the incredible power that they gain through him, while Akai’zhar understands that without that support, he would be overwhelmed by the rest of the city’s mighty priesthood. He plays a dangerous game every day, struggling to rise above the social confines of drow society while not moving too openly and arousing the malice of the Matrons to the point where they would join together and crush him.

[This was transplanted from the one I had set up, with a few changes added to fit the plot]

Sabriel

:-[ Oh wow err well that really is quite a compliment since I don't actually feel that's true your thread seams to be very detailed and well themed.  I don't even as of yet have someone who has come forward to offer to oversee the story and such. I hope you don't give up on your own idea just because of my own thread and concept for a Drow themed story.  I  am glad to see some more interest anyway I will be adding some more stuff myself to the idea at some point I expect although I don't really wish to close of to many possibilities for any respective person who might wish to take on the challenge of weaving the story. :)

Krayz

Mine's just not getting off of the ground, to be honest, and the way I see it, it's better to pool all the fans into one place; the RP that results will have more people, and be more elaborate as a result ^_^

I'm gonna PM you to discuss some details on my character, make sure it's all right and such :)

Angi

Name: Ardulriina Noquana

Currently Goes By: Phyrrae Melani

Background: Ardulriina Noquana was born into the Noquana house nearly 2 and a half decades later than her elder sister Briz'ae, who was already well on her way to becoming a highly skilled priestess of Lolth. Ardulriina naturally spent most of her upbringing in her sister's shadow, and had only met her sibling a handful of times. Throughout her own training, longing to become a strong priestess as well and help the Noquana house build it's status further, Ardulriina was constantly being compared to her sister despite her efforts to prove herself as her own woman and not a younger shadow of Briz'ae. For the most part, Briz'ae ignored her younger sister's existence, concentrating on her own success. Near the end of Ardulriina's training, she began to attract her own attention, so much so that her sister soon gained knowledge of her strength. As if completing the circuit, Ardulriina began to hear word that Briz'ae wanted her dead to prevent the younger female from surpassing the elder sibling. Of course Ardulriina took this as a serious threat, and even though she was doing extremely well in her training she was not dumb enough to believe she stood a chance against her older sister. Without taking the chance and waiting for the threat to be confirmed as legitimate, Ardulriina chose to flee from her own house in an attempt to stay alive. She soon took on the name Phyrrae, meaning 'Blessed Secret', and started to search for an established house that might take her in. Luckily, it didn't take much to prove to the House Melani that she held potential and soon completed her training to become a priestess of the House and taking on the surname of Melani. Though it is known she was not born into the House Melani, she has managed to keep her origins a secret without much trouble.

Personality: Despite the fact she fled from her own sister, Phyrrae is anything but a coward. In fact, she is extremely hot-headed and tends to hold herself above the other priestesses of the house including Inarra though she will never admit to it. Being often ridiculed by those born into Melani, she never hesitates to try and prove herself and often takes things to the extreme while doing so. She is always up for an argument, gaining an long list of drow who refuse to even speak to her at all. As opinionated as she is, it is well known that she changes her mind constantly making her quite the hypocrite.

-EDIT- Btw... forgot to mention... The Abhorsen Trilogy is pure win...

rancorius

still looking for players?

Krayz

Pretty sure, rancorius.

Sabriel

-Updated my main post with some more details-

And to clarify yes still looking for people to play and flesh out the story.

Angi

Sabriel

Yeah sorry I liked you concept and chosen image very much she sounds like a very intriguing Drow  ;D

And yes the Abhorsen trilogy is a lovely series of books, I even have the Across the wall book ^.^

elfguy

Sorry I haven't kept up to this thread, should I post a char sheet for my girl? And do we have an idea on who everyone will be, like are we all priestesses and such, or we can pick anyone we want inside the house?
----

Krayz

Anyone I believe, elfguy; my dude's a male, and an arcane spellcaster.

Sabriel

Alright well I am still working out some ideas right now and hoping to add some more lovely details of the society such things up in my original post.  Its a work in progress afterall :)

Feel free to post whatever information you like about your character, as for who and what you should be well that is largely down to your own preference, you don't have to all be priestesses or all female for that matter and you should feel free to get creative with your role in House Melani.

elfguy

Edited my post with more info, char sheet and such. Hopefully it will fit and be somewhat unique in the house.
----

Angi

Gah I never got a chance to read that book... hopefully if and when I get a job I can buy a new set of the books(since mine is in 3 diff places xD) and that one too... I'll probably get the one that includes all 3 in one so I can't lose them separately lolz

Krayz

Heh, Pamine and Akai'zhar are gonna get along swell xD

Btw, was she born into the House, or is she a non-noble retainer?

Cardwolf

I'll edit up later, Archon won't have much of a history I'm afraid

elfguy

Quote from: Krayz on May 26, 2010, 06:53:27 PM
Heh, Pamine and Akai'zhar are gonna get along swell xD

Btw, was she born into the House, or is she a non-noble retainer?

She is from the house but she isn't one of the top daughter, I don't want her a priestess, I want her sorta like the one girl all the others girls go to chat with, to find out if so and so is trying to get them assassinated, and so on, while Pamine stays on the side and watches people back stab each others and smiles ;)
----

Sabriel

Not sure if this will help but I thought it might be useful for some.

This is a sort of traditional structure within a Drow House.

Traditional House Rankings

A traditional Matriarchal House consists of, in the order of rank, as follows:

1. A ruling Matron Mother.
   2. The Matron's first daughter.
   3. Any daughters in birth order that are in training to become priestesses, or are priestesses.
   4. Any daughters in birth order not in training.
   5. Any priestesses not of the same family.
   6. The Elderboy, oldest living son of the Matron.
   7. The Secondboy, second oldest living son of the Matron. The third born son is sacrificed to Lolth at birth, unless one of the first two sons die before he is born.
   8. The Patron, the Matron's current lover. (This postion does not exist as such in house Melani due to Matron Inarra's peculiar practices.)
   9. The House Wizard, if none of the sons has taken the position.
  10. The Weapons Master, Also a position that can be taken by a son.
  11. House Mages
  12. Warriors
  13. Workers and slaves

This is by no means a complete list either since well there are certain roles which are not covered here.

elfguy

Well she'd be like at #4, knowing she has no chance of ever becoming a Matron, she decided to go a different route, one that allowed her real, actual power, over slaves, other houses and so on, as she commands the guardsmen, without actually needing to compete with the other priestesses for the role of Matron.
----

Angi

Haha Phyrrae will hate her guts since Pamine's technically above her and not a priestess xDDD