The Great War

Started by GloomCookie, May 13, 2010, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Scurrying around wikipedia and so on its hard to find how many people crewed an airship. The R101 which crashed in 1930 had 45 crew. The Hindenburg which infamously crashed at Lakehurst in 1937 had 97 people on board but that included passengers. The USS Akron had 76 passengers and crew aboard when it crashed in 1933, so it seems around 45 to 60 people crewed a civilian airship. Add wartime machine gun crews and bombardiers and you could have 60 to 80 crew.

Given that not all would bail out in time in a (fire?) crash you could be looking at half that number parachuting down I suppose. So... 30 to 40 men.

Travaius

Wow...Leave for a little while and see how much you guys do...Sheesh.
Don't tempt the hammer of the Waagh. The Black Riva is in our blood, spill a drop and the rest of us will drown you in it, got it?

RedEve

Quote from: Haibane on May 14, 2010, 11:51:31 AM
Scurrying around wikipedia and so on its hard to find how many people crewed an airship. The R101 which crashed in 1930 had 45 crew. The Hindenburg which infamously crashed at Lakehurst in 1937 had 97 people on board but that included passengers. The USS Akron had 76 passengers and crew aboard when it crashed in 1933, so it seems around 45 to 60 people crewed a civilian airship. Add wartime machine gun crews and bombardiers and you could have 60 to 80 crew.

Given that not all would bail out in time in a (fire?) crash you could be looking at half that number parachuting down I suppose. So... 30 to 40 men.

Thanks for the info, I'll work on an opening post based on your numbers. I hope/assume Linna won't object, though I only really needed a ball-park figure to have an idea of how many men might overrun the club.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Haibane

Haha, I don't  think the parachuted-down crew of a crashed Zepp would be up to overrunning anything. Each man would land where he did and look after surviving himself. They'd have no rifles for a start ;) You're talking about parachutists trained to attack an objective upon landing which is something different. I think you need the GM's OK to proceed with such an idea.

@ Travaius: Try not sleeping, then the flow of comments is much slower ;)

GloomCookie

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2010, 12:23:53 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll work on an opening post based on your numbers. I hope/assume Linna won't object, though I only really needed a ball-park figure to have an idea of how many men might overrun the club.

30 to 40 people mostly trying to get to the ground without going squish.  Most of your excitement will come from the large flaming airship coming in to crash right on top of your club :P
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Xiddeus

Name: William "Billy" McCriver
Race:Scotch/Irish
Nation of Origin:United States
Citizenship:United States
Affiliation:NY Cabbie Union
Service Record: Doesn't have one, never served, though he is the son of a local Policeman and a woman of pleasure, he grew up on the slums of NY.  He got into driving when he stole a new daimler and it happened to belong to a local crime boss.  This gave him the later opportunity to prove himself as a wheelman and landed a job with the local 502 Cabbie Union.  Now he just drives around looking for fares and when the time is needed, he does runs for the Mob.
For want of something better to say... sometimes nothing is best.

ONs and OFFS
Plot ideas
Apologies & Absences
The Oath!

RedEve

Quote from: Linna on May 14, 2010, 01:46:18 PM
30 to 40 people mostly trying to get to the ground without going squish.  Most of your excitement will come from the large flaming airship coming in to crash right on top of your club :P

Oops...

I wrote my post before I read this. I do love very much how it came out though, so I hope you'll allow me to keep it as is?

GloomCookie

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2010, 01:58:53 PM
Oops...

I wrote my post before I read this. I do love very much how it came out though, so I hope you'll allow me to keep it as is?

I'll allow it.  This time *glare glare* kidding.  It'll be fine, but please don't go all Rambo and try to take on the entire German Army by yourself.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

RedEve

Quote from: Linna on May 14, 2010, 02:16:52 PM
I'll allow it.  This time *glare glare* kidding.  It'll be fine, but please don't go all Rambo and try to take on the entire German Army by yourself.

Oh, that's not my intention. :D

I tried to make sure to have more of the mobsters dying than Germans. ;)

I just liked it because it provided my character with a dramatic opening.

Haibane

Any chance of a thread for characters and OOC discussion?

Major Major

Give me a minute to finish Nobby's Service Record and I'll make a post.

CrazyIvan

there is my first post hope that it is not to bad.

Major Major

I am deeply impressed, and rather annoyed, Ivan.

Impressed that you were able to write so much, and annoyed that it takes me the best part of an hour to write, at most, two short paragraphs and then I run out of ideas to continue the post.

Xiddeus

Hey peeps, just waiting to see if this was a cool character to join in.  Loving the posts though.
For want of something better to say... sometimes nothing is best.

ONs and OFFS
Plot ideas
Apologies & Absences
The Oath!

Major Major

We could certainly use some Allied troops here. At the moment, the only named Good Guy Soldier is my Royal Marine.

CrazyIvan

Hey the German could be Good Guys from their perspective, after all it is kinda of subjective. Also WW 1 was just all kinds of weird with no one real good guy. Though this is me just going on about nothing.

Travaius

Eh you're right though. Germany didn't even really want to go to war. They thought by backing Austria-Hungary that Russia would just not enter at all. And when Britain declared on them it was actually a shock. They considered them cousins and figured they would stay neutral if they didn't help the German themselves.
Don't tempt the hammer of the Waagh. The Black Riva is in our blood, spill a drop and the rest of us will drown you in it, got it?

Major Major

You get what I mean though, right?

CrazyIvan

Yeah I know what you meant.

Travaius

:P Of course, the sides are a little uneven, if you don't count our female French expat.

Haibane

Poop, I forgot to mention this ages ago but I write in the first person. Is that going to be an issue for anyone?

RedEve

Quote from: Travaius on May 14, 2010, 04:45:06 PM
:P Of course, the sides are a little uneven, if you don't count our female French expat.

And why would you do that? :p

She's like a female Picasso with that Tommy gun of hers. ;)

Travaius

First person isn't an issue for me at all, I am just used to writing in third.

RedEve

In my next post, I'm planning on having Clémence successfully escape the club. I would like to know the general outline of the invasion so I have a better idea of where to take her next. What area will be overrun first? Where will the largest concentration of Germans converge upon?

MagicalPen

I'm still here/interested but out of town with very limited internet access until wednesday night.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games