With a body, lithe.Age:
They're so unpredictable
Actually best with-- Long, staff/pole-type weapons (he's practiced using a scythe)
Currently has-- a short sword, slightly rusted. Can't argue with a free weapon!Special Items:
Apart from basic clothing/armor, Edan has the following special items-
Herb Valuable item lying on the ground, just like the sword.
A bag with money in it. "Fancy a little wager?"
Gambler's Dice. "Do you like to gamble, boy? What would you stake? Your life?"Bio:
Edan was born on a fairly small, self-sufficient farm. He had a mother, father, and brother, all of who were still alive the last time he saw them. He grew up working with his hands, learning weather patterns, and practicing those little bits of useful psyenergy that almost everyone knows these days. But it was on market dates that he really lived.
Thrown into the hurly-burly gathering of people from miles around, there were always new faces, always new challengers.
Yes, challengers. Edan maintained a small level of luxury by challenging people to various contests—arm-wrestling, dice games, shell games, whatever. No major wagers; nobody had much to gamble with. But it was enough to make a difference, and it was seven kinds of glorious. Did you know that it’s possible to win a shell game? Sure, the stranger running it might hide the pea as soon as the game starts, but if you’re quick you can put a new pea in just as easily. And what are they going to do when you 'find' the only pea that's under their shells, accuse you of cheating better than they did?
Market day was fun, but most of life was farm work. Despite his peculiarities, everyone assumed that he would grow up, inherit the farm, and marry some nice young mercury adept who was good with irrigation. There weren’t a lot of options. Then he found the Dice.
They were just lying there. Six small wooden cubes with numbers scratched into them. Most people might’ve ignored them, but Edan picked them up with the hope of using them for a game next time he was at market. “Do you like to gamble, boy?”
Voices out of nowhere were uncommon, even in the bright new age of Alchemy. “We’ll make a bet. We’ll stake a new, bright, exciting life if you’ll wager the life you have right now. What do you say?” There was never any doubt in his mind. The family didn’t really need his labor, but truthfully that consideration never entered into his calculations. “What are the rules?”
“We wait. We’ll tell you if you win or lose in a little while. But until then, you get to hold the stakes. Sound fair?” He left home later that day, only stopping to say goodbye to his mother (she was the only one in the house). His expedition would be financed by his new lucky dice, as per their agreement. People were alert for psyenergy “cheating” in isolated market towns, let alone the cities he eventually hoped to reach. But…Personality:
Many people believe Edan loves gambling; they’re wrong. He actually loves to win
. But in order to win, you need an opponent. And after you win a few times, opponents get pretty hard to find. Gambling is the exception to that—by convincing people that they have a chance, you can make them keep coming, endlessly.
This competitive drive is what lands him in conflict time and time again. He’s definitely charismatic enough to avoid outright combat most of the time, but he doesn’t really want to. A loss resulting from such behavior is acceptable—Edan learns why he lost and improves. He’ll take on any opponent, even if there’s a 99% chance he’ll lose. Because that 1%... Man, that’s where they keep the fountain of life!
Of course, there’s no reason not to increase that 1%. He works
for his victories, don’t take it the wrong way. But he’s the sort of person who would dribble away
from the basketball hoop before shooting. If they had basketball where he grew up. After all, a 1-point shot just isn’t worth much, no matter what his teammates say.Other Info:
Gambler's Dice is an approved class-change item, making Edan’s current class “Risktaker.” Edan once had a pet cat. So did his brother.