You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 02:00:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: 'Guardian' of my dog? WTF  (Read 336 times)

Offline Rider of WindTopic starter

• Dance with me, make me sway.
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • I'll tell you what I lost. I lost my mind.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
'Guardian' of my dog? WTF
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
http://www.caredogtraining.com/Articles/owner.htm

"IDA's letter proudly pointed out that San Francisco; West Hollywood; Berkeley, Calif.; Boulder, Colo.; Amherst, Mass., and the state of Rhode Island have already enacted ordinances changing owners into guardians. (Some of those jurisdictions have also embraced the animal-rights movement's other language crusade, changing "pets" into "companion animals.") Although IDA cited these cities and state as evidence that the notion of "guardian" is spreading, to me it suggests the opposite: Its successes are confined to left-wing pockets. I'll be impressed when Kansas City takes up the idea."

I agree with THIS:
"Guardianship, a word always applied to human beings, implies equality-the highest and perhaps most noble of all goals in this democratic nation. Ownership implies responsibility. Americans who own dogs need to be more responsible for them, literally and emotionally-not more equal to them."

• Dame
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
Re: 'Guardian' of my dog? WTF
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »
  I get the purpose but it just offends me on some level, yes my dog is my baby, my child. But it's still an animal and a creature that requires my leadership. As it's owner, it's not my slave but my responsibility, and it will never be my equal or the equivalent of a human friend. It's status is a step below mine and always will be. The term 'guardian' feels temporary and flaky to me.

Just...ugh.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »
I seriously don't know what to think about this. It boggles that they don't have more important things to do than to waste time on things like this.

• Dame
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
  Yeah, I read the whole thing with this big eyebrow raise of skeptic annoyance. Seriously.