You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 16, 2017, 05:16:29 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
Issue 74 (Autumn) ~ August thru October 2017

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Active Roleplayers page  (Read 1388 times)

Online VekseidTopic starter

Active Roleplayers page
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:53:52 AM »
http://elliquiy.com/forums/activeroleplayers.php

I'm open to suggestions about what else to include there.

Basically, I don't want to include anything that would bias against newly approved members (postcount, etc). And some things are a bit computationally expensive do do (though I might cache results) - but obviously it needs something else there to spice it up a bit. Just not sure what : )

Online Oniya

Re: Active Roleplayers page
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »
Could postcount be normalized as a function of time?  (Posts/days or somesuch?)

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:00:28 AM »
That penalizes people who take a hiatus. I could make it recent, but that also requires some form of cached result and I want to spend mroe effort on the new CMS : )

Offline Kip

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:01:41 AM »
And I guess it would also require tighter controls of what posts contribute towards such a count than is currently considered in post/day calculations.

Offline DrFier

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:13:27 AM »
If this is for helping people find roleplays, Orientation might be nice, but that's not worked into the O/Os page (well, I haven't checked in a while).

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
What about the medium we prefer to play in? I have no clue how easy or hard it would be to do this, but since the O/O system already asks us to toggle: "play by chat", "play by email", "play by post", "play by IM", perhaps which ones a person has selected could be indicated? Maybe a C, E, P, or M superscript next to the username?

Edit: Completely forgot to mention, this is awesome. Like extremely. I think it will make connecting with others looking for roleplay much easier.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:45:40 AM by DarklingAlice »

Offline HockeyGod

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
If this is for helping people find roleplays, Orientation might be nice, but that's not worked into the O/Os page (well, I haven't checked in a while).

I agree with this!

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
What would post count be an indication of?  A high post count may not mean much if it isn't in role play activity.

Tags beneath the name might be a way to go.  My tags might be:  Plot/Character/sexual/NC.  They could be chosen from a list of prefernces.  Mine indicate I'm interested in a plot and character driven story with sexual content up to an NC rating.  It's a little simplistic I know.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
I think I'll take the modes of play tags, add orientation and a custom blurb for members to add : )

Offline Chevalier des Poissons

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
My suggestions:

1 - Make the 'Lady / Liege / Lord' a collapsable box, so the people could see each row at a time. Otherwise, as time goes on, it will give them an enormous page to load.

2 - Put the order of the players, if possible, by last time they went online. That will make people know who is more active or not, and schedule their preferences according to the activity of their partners.

3 - If that is not possible, then order it by alphabetical order, and then, instead of the link leading to their preferences, it would lead to their profiles. I know unapproved members can see some of that list too, but still, it would help to know when the person was last active, and it would be easier to track their posts

4 - Find a way to add statistics on the members page, again, if possible. That would make easier for them to see what kind of rp they like more.

Hope to help.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
My suggestions:

1 - Make the 'Lady / Liege / Lord' a collapsable box, so the people could see each row at a time. Otherwise, as time goes on, it will give them an enormous page to load.

It's only loading the last 25 at the moment. It's inherently limited for that reason.

2 - Put the order of the players, if possible, by last time they went online. That will make people know who is more active or not, and schedule their preferences according to the activity of their partners.

That's what it is doing.

4 - Find a way to add statistics on the members page, again, if possible. That would make easier for them to see what kind of rp they like more.

Statistics are being pushed to the next revision - this entire thing is just a hack job >_>

Offline Chevalier des Poissons

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 04:30:53 PM »
It's only loading the last 25 at the moment. It's inherently limited for that reason.

I see. Hm, if you put the collapsible box you may let it load even more than 25 people

That's what it is doing.

yay me for the obvious suggestions =P

Statistics are being pushed to the next revision - this entire thing is just a hack job >_>

Hm, I have been there before.

Well, if it helps to know, you are doing great so far now.

Offline Oreo

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
Having their timezone listed might be nice. It would give an indication of people that might be available when you are.

Offline Saffron

• ღ Your Designer Drug ღ Myobi's Hither and Thither Girl ღ
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: ღ I would have you, right here on this desk, until you begged for mercy twice. ღ
  • ღ Twice. ღ
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Having their timezone listed might be nice. It would give an indication of people that might be available when you are.
Not necessarily true. I'm in the EST timezone but you are more likely to find me online between 9pm and 9am than the other way around.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
Note that I've added blurbs and sexuality to the ons and offs form. Please be sure to fill those out if you are looking : )

Offline Caeli

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
The ampersand doesn't work. :-( I settled on a plus sign, though.

I would actually prefer that the sexuality options be checkboxes, not radio buttons. I can't pick more than one, but I'm not content leaving it as "unspecified". >_>
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:41:48 PM by Caeli »

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
I could make another option stating that it's flexible regarding roleplaying? O_o

Offline Brandon

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
More organization might help, for instance splitting up sexual orientations. Then again thats one of my pet peeves about the system. It seemed very inintuitive for someone who (like me) plays heterosexual and homosexual characters (male and female respectively) but never bisexual ones. It seems to assume that your sex is also the sex of the characters you play and thus your sexuality is set as well when, for me, it changes based on the sex of the character I play...if that makes any sense

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
Hmm.

Could make a simpler breakdown of the ons and offs proper that way I suppose. Would then focus more on each individual down the line (and segue into searching easier).

Offline Torch

• Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain/Trieste's sarcasm buddy
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • "Soul meets soul on lovers' lips." P.B. Shelley
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
More organization might help, for instance splitting up sexual orientations. Then again thats one of my pet peeves about the system. It seemed very inintuitive for someone who (like me) plays heterosexual and homosexual characters (male and female respectively) but never bisexual ones. It seems to assume that your sex is also the sex of the characters you play and thus your sexuality is set as well when, for me, it changes based on the sex of the character I play...if that makes any sense

Yes, it makes sense because it puts me in a bit of a quandry, because I am a heterosexual female who only writes homosexual male characters.

I have no earthly idea what to put down, and I'm left with unspecified.  :-(

Offline Brandon

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
Yes, it makes sense because it puts me in a bit of a quandry, because I am a heterosexual female who only writes homosexual male characters.

I have no earthly idea what to put down, and I'm left with unspecified.  :-(

Theres that, which is a similar position to mine, but theres also those players that play Futanari or other hermaphroditic characters. Im not sure how to define a Futa character who's into girls (or guys) in a roleplaying game. Nevermind a system as absolute seeming as the ons & offs listing

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:15 PM »
Will be rethinking it somewhat, may reforge it into a simple search (with the recent members as default sortof like now).