You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 21, 2016, 09:56:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Wrinkles  (Read 647 times)

Offline LucindaTopic starter

« on: January 23, 2010, 05:08:11 AM »
Ok i had this thought this morning and thought this was best place for it. When you are in the bath and your fingers turn like prunes i know its to do with osmosis. No oil because no pores so the skin is more permeable to water. I remember that much from school! But what i can't remember is which way the water flows. Do my fingers wrinkle because they are losing water (which seems logical) or because they are gaining water in odd places? And in either case, does it matter if the water was salty or had anything else in it? Thankyou for scratching my curiosity. Oh and this in no way implies anything about how much time i spend in the bath Thankyou!

Offline Talia

Re: Wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:43:39 AM »

This is because of osmosis.  What happens is that water will move into your cells.  That makes sense of how skin swells up but it doesnít necessarily make sense that your skinís wrinkly.  You'll notice when you have a bath you donít get wrinkles all over.  You get wrinkles on the soles of your feet, on your hands: especially your fingers.

This is because you have a layer of protective keratin.  Keratinís a kind of tough stuff, itís what claws and nails and so on are made of.  This means that the skin here is much thicker than elsewhere on your body, and this thick layer is made of dead, keratinised cells.  This takes up more water than the thinner skin elsewhere, and so swells up, and goes wrinkly.

Offline LucindaTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »
Oh! Ok. So what about the saltwater thing? Does that make it worse? Or less?

Offline Talia

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:07:09 AM »

Less, because of the minerals in the salt tends to draw water out rather than allowing to collect. It cleans the skin and removes some toxins, making you sweat.

I believe i could be wrong...

I think if the water is hot and your soaking for a long spell...when you get out...your body well crave a well needed glass of cold water to replenish whats been lost.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:10:06 AM by Laurrel »

Online Serephino

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
I think as long as you were using stuff that's meant to be used in a bath you'll be fine.