You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 09:42:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fairytale Book Search - any suggestions?  (Read 382 times)

Offline SaturnsWingsTopic starter

Fairytale Book Search - any suggestions?
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
I am currently craving a good book of fairytales. Not the Grimm Fairytales or Hans Christian Anderson--I've read those quite a few times. I remember that there were "color" fairytale books (The Green Book of Fairytales, etc.) and I was wondering if there are any suggestions that any of you could make. Any assortment are gladly welcomed but I would be most grateful if somebody could point me towards fairytales from other cultures. (My cousin came home from Russia with the most beautiful book of fairytales with hand painted illustrations to go along with it, although it doesn't have to be nearly so extravagant.)

Thanks!

Offline Lilias

Re: Fairytale Book Search - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:04:04 AM »
If you want the 'coloured' books again, you can look on Project Gutenberg - the author is Andrew Lang. There you'll also find:

Old French Fairy Tales (Madame de Segur)
The Tales of Mother Goose (Charles Perrault, including many early versions of classics, from times when they were not considered kiddie stuff)
The Happy Prince and Other Tales (Oscar Wilde)
Fairy Tales of the Allied Nations (Edmund Dulac)
Japanese Fairy Tales (Yei Theodora Ozaki)
Indian Fairy Tales (Joseph Jacobs)

Offline SaturnsWingsTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
Well aren't you just fucking awesome. Thank you so much! This should be plenty for me to live off of for a while. :)

Thanks again

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
I appreciate the links, too, Lilias. 

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
Oh wow Lilias, I had no idea that the Andrew Lang fairy books were online! Thank you!

Another good reference:
Folklore and Mythology Electronic Texts translated and edited by D.L. Ashliman, hosted by the University of Pittsburgh

This one has the advantage of grouping fairy/folk tales by type rather than origin, so you can find a general theme you like, e.g. Beauty and the Beast, and then read all the variants to see how different cultures each have a unique take on the story.

Offline Caeli

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Thanks, you guys. :-) I'll take the suggestions, as well!