You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 08:14:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Women in Games.  (Read 398 times)

Offline Chris BradyTopic starter

Women in Games.
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

This was posted to me after I got a burr in my bonnet about another site's treatment of women.  For a place that claims to be 'forward thinking', it can be very misogynistic.

Names have been removed to protect the innocent.

Offline Canuckian

• Canadian
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • Location: Second star to the right- oh, who'm I kidding? I'm right here
  • Insert message here
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Women in Games.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:03:30 AM »
Are you looking for a discussion or just reposting that page for others to peruse?

Offline Mnemaxa

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »
The article seems fairly good to me.  I'm not sure if you're unhappy with the article, or with the people whom you were upset at that responded by posting the article to you.

Offline consortium11

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
The main thing that got me was the person claiming the Salem Witch trials took place under the jurisdiction of the United States, was about the clothing people wore, that the victims were all women and that they were burnt at the stake...

Offline Chris BradyTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »
Sorry, let me clarify.  The above article on Gamepro was written by a woman, which frankly, I agree with.  Men do 'violence' well, women are master of 'sexy', each element of this is what makes each gender 'cool'.

However, what set me off (Again) was this particular sites male view of women, on cheesecake imagery.  The 'pro-female' male views were so... offended that it nearly came off as misogynistic from the opposite end, if you understand my meaning.

See, I come from the position that Feminism means allowing the woman in question to live her life as SHE WANTS.  No to be told how to by anyone else, MALE or FEMALE.  You (the general woman) want to be the next American President, or a CEO of Microsoft?  Go for it.  You would rather, and are quite happy being the meek housewife?  Again, you should be allowed to be.  As well as anything in between, of course.

Thing is though, in a gaming situation, you need 'strong' protagonists, and for male and female that means different things.  However, for the most part the average 'heroine' is often nothing more than a guy with tits in mentality strapped inside a curvy package that makes Barbie envious.  Something I noticed coming into prominence during the 90s, with Image comics.  And yet, this is the sort of thing that we men seem to be deluged and currently expecting.

What say you, Elliquiy?