You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 10:54:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Because Google doesn't have enough of our information already  (Read 1022 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Because Google doesn't have enough of our information already
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro.html

...useful if your normal DNS servers go out.

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Because Google doesn't have enough of our information already
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
Big Brother Google loves you. Big Brother Google cares for your best interests. Big Brother Google is watching you.

Offline Ruhinn

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:27:08 AM »
I am not very computer literate. I have read through that page, but I'm still not sure what exactly this means for the web surfer?

Offline Misery

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
I have tried to limit my reliance on the glories of Google.  I use OpenDNS for my DNS lookups. 

Offline Skyara Snow

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
I'll have to read over that when my brain is actually working. It seemed interesting enough.

Offline Mnemaxa

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
I have found using Yahoo Search leads to faster and better results.

Offline Sabby

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »
Big Brother Google loves you. Big Brother Google cares for your best interests. Big Brother Google is watching you.

...I read that with the voice of Xerxes in System Shock 2

Offline Valerian

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »
Every time I use Yahoo search, it asks me to load something (Gears, I think it was called?), which I refuse to do because I'm sure it's yet another info-gathering tool.  There are enough of those around already.  I've basically just resigned myself to being watched everywhere, and take some comfort from the fact that my life is boring enough that few would want to watch for long.  :P

Possibly I'd be even more paranoid if I'd understood more of the article in question, but there we are.

Offline Talia

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »

I don't know...I use Google Chrome. I haven't been asked to download or install anything.  Don't all web browser's store or collect info on everyone?

If not I would like to know which one doesn't, as I would like to use it instead.

Online Zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
I've never understood people's abject paranoia towards Google. It used to be Microsoft and now apparently people was fearful of Google. The more a corporate identity rises in the public awareness, the more people become skeptical. Persisting data between page visits has been around since the advent of web browsers. It is a trade off sure, the more a browser and web server knows about your habits the more able it is to serve up relevant content, etc.

I'd argue Elliquiy knows more about my private habits than any site. All of my dirty little secrets are stored in its database after all.

Select * From Stories Where User = 'Zamdrist' - Yeah that is ad hoc I know, just sayin'.