News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Native American Artisan Research

Started by dorthyinwonder, January 03, 2010, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorthyinwonder

I'm looking to research information on a few pieces of Native American work that I've acquired.

A bit of background:
I just returned from my trip to Colorado and purchased a Zuni fetish and a Horse Hair Wedding Vase. The card that was with the vase does not match the signature that was on the bottom of the vase. I've googled and have no clue where to start searching. There was also a series of numbers on the vase (100951) and the vase's signature was R. Wright. The card claims the vase was created by Freddie Smith from New Mexico. I'm a little confused as to why the card doesn't match the signature (if this is common, then that might be the explanation). I'll post a picture of the vase when I get the chance and upload it. Furthermore, I also obtained a jet fetish with the initials of TM of the Zuni.

The image of the fetish didn't turn out well, but here are the two pictures I managed to take of the vase. They are of rather poor quality because I had to take them using my webcam and alter them (slightly) using PSP so that it hopefully doesn't burn anyone's retinas.

The top one is of the vase itself (its mainly white with black web-ish designs because it is a horse hair piece) and the bottom is of the design on the front.

I'd love to figure out what's going on with this piece, in particular. Anyone know where I can go to get this information? I'm at a loss at the moment, so anything would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!