You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 06:36:19 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Losing long posts while writing them :-(  (Read 1226 times)

Offline AevalTopic starter

Losing long posts while writing them :-(
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone knows a way to save long posts while you are writing them here in E! I have lost several long ones over the course of time *just like the one I was just writing! *cries** and I DEARLY would love to know how to stop this from happening in the future!

Offline Will

Re: Losing long posts while writing them :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
If you're using Firefox on a PC, Lazarus works pretty well.

Offline Marguerite

• Lifestyle Domme, Mistress, Queen of Sin/Debauchery, Eden's Stalker, Domina McSpanks
  • Lady
  • Carnite
  • "Now, ask me what I'm going to do to you."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
Try writing it on notepad or another word document and save it before placing it on Elliquiy. It has helped to save posts when Elliquiy lags or my Firefox collapses.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
My heart feels for you, I know exactly your frustration.

Unless its a very short post I use Word or Notepad now and copy/paste the post in when I'm ready to send it off.

Before the last upgrade you could recover your post by hitting the back button but that feature isn't available any more, at least not until some code gets rewritten or so I understand :(

EDIT: Thanks Will! I now have Lazarus installed! *hugs*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:25:22 PM by Haibane »

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
Thank you Will...but..I think you are talking a foreign language! *isn't very computer literate except to turn it on and off and manage around E! and word!*

Thank you Marguerite..I am doing that and will do in the future because losing long posts is just too painful.

Thank you Haibane for your compassion..makes me feel better that it's not just me!

*goes to finish her LONG post in Word to then copy and paste!*

Offline Caeli

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »
Aeval, what browser do you use to surf the Internet? :-)

Mozilla Firefox is one of several; Will was saying that if you use it on a PC (as opposed to a MAC), you could add a small plug-in type of feature to the browser, that would automatically save what you typed.

Offline Cecilia

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
Sometimes hitting the back button on your browser (At least on Firefox) will let you find it again--you can copy and paste it in a new reply. 

I think we've all had that happen at one time or another, though. 

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »

Caeli..this is going to sound stupid I know..but I am not sure what browser I use :-(..Explorer..is that a browser?

Cecilia..I think I used to be able to use the back button and get to the post..but it doesn't work anymore :-(

Offline Caeli

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
What does the icon of your browser look like? Is it a blue lower-case "e", or a an orange fox around a globe? :-)

And it's not stupid. Also, in the title of your browser window, it should say "Mozilla Firefox" or "Internet Explorer" or something like that. It sounds like you have Internet Explorer, though.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Thank you Caeli for your patience..yes..it is the blue e and when I hover over it it does say: Launch Internet Explorer Brower!

Offline Caeli

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
The Firefox plug-in wouldn't work then, since it's a different browser. :-) However, typing up your posts in Word or notepad would probably work, yeah? ^__^

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
Thanks Caeli..I am going to do that from now on..until..maybe..Veks can add something here that will allow posts that vanish..to reappear!! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that could have helped! *hugs*

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
Sometimes hitting the back button on your browser (At least on Firefox) will let you find it again--you can copy and paste it in a new reply. 

I think we've all had that happen at one time or another, though.

The new version of SMF is bugged. The SMF team is aware of it and pretty much what is causing it, a fix isn't available yet, though, is a doozy : /

Draft saving is something I have planned for the next cms : )

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
Thank you Veks :-) Somehow I knew you had a solution in mind and will implement it when it is feasible.

Offline consortium11

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
+1 to the Word suggestion... I do pretty much all my posts in there and c+p them over

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
Just remember that formatting in Word won't carry over (indents and fonts).  I've used Notepad and got used to typing out tags for bold and italic.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Thank you Oniya...I found that out when I was cutting and pasting yesterday! But it is better than losing everything! I haven't worked in Notepad..I will have to try it..

Offline Haibane

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
As Notepad has no font or style formatting it forces you to use the html tags.

Alternatively you can write in Word, paste into the reply window and add the bold/italic/colour/whatever tags there. Just save a final copy back to Word before you hit 'post' ;)

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
Haibane..I can type in Word and make spreadsheets in Excel...html tags..that's another story! *chuckles* I didn't realize that joining E! would be a 101 course in computer software programming! But I am learning! thank you!!

Offline Paladin

• Angel/Demon Hybrid
  • Restricted
  • Enchanter
  • Without my Honor I am Nothing. Try to understand
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
Well you know you can always as E for suggestions, or come to me. :D I'm majoring in computers and have to deal with family that are not Computer literate so I'm used to explaining stuff so it dosn't hurt the brain.

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
Thank you Paladin. I think everyone here has given me great suggestions.  I appreciate your offer and will remember it for next time.