Octopus using coconut shells as shelter

Started by Vekseid, December 14, 2009, 02:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18281-octopuses-use-coconut-shells-as-portable-shelters.html

Octopuses have been observed carrying coconut shells in what researchers claim is the first recorded example of tool use in invertebrates.

There is a growing record of tool use in animals and birds, from musical "instruments" made by orang-utansMovie Camera to sponges used by dolphins to dislodge prey from sand.

Now veined octopuses, Amphioctopus marginatus, have been filmed picking up coconut halves from the seabed to use as hiding places when they feel threatened.

"This octopus behaviour was totally unexpected," says Julian Finn, a marine biologist at Museum Victoria in Melbourne, Australia, who has filmed at least four individual veined octopuses performing the trick off the coast of Indonesia.

BBC has a video

Zealously Jaded

I read this on the BBC news site, it's amazing that its adapting to use things for protection that humans disgard. :)

Ket

That's spectacular!

Though, the image of a Flintstone car just kept running through my mind.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Lystia

I, for one, welcome our new tentacled overlords!

Inkidu

It must be an African Octopus. (You're welcome.)

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

QuoteOctopuses have been observed carrying coconut shells in what researchers claim is the first recorded example of tool use in invertebrates.

Um - how would this differ from a hermit crab using a discarded snail shell for protection?  Last I heard, crustaceans were classed as invertebrates.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Learned behavior, rather than instinctual.

Lystia

Quote from: Vekseid on December 15, 2009, 11:42:16 AM
Learned behavior, rather than instinctual.

I just knew they've been watching me!  And they called me crazy...

*Hides back under her coconut shell*

Yakkul

that's nothing... last week, a snail stole my motorbike... but do you *think* the police will believe me?   

*Sighs*

Seriously though, it's always fun learning about "new" stuff that's probably been around for quite a while, and we silly humans just weren't paying enough attention.

Lystia

Quote from: Yakkul on December 16, 2009, 01:06:47 AM
that's nothing... last week, a snail stole my motorbike... but do you *think* the police will believe me?   

*Sighs*

Seriously though, it's always fun learning about "new" stuff that's probably been around for quite a while, and we silly humans just weren't paying enough attention.

Oh my! you mean the snails are after you too?  It's becoming pandemic! 

*goes back to her happy place* : P

September

QuoteThere is a growing record of tool use in animals and birds

I think we all know how this ends.  I'm going shopping tomorrow...for ammo.
Some of my ons.

Oniya

Quote from: September on December 17, 2009, 06:05:48 PM
I think we all know how this ends.  I'm going shopping tomorrow...for ammo.

The birds and monkeys are already equipped.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

kylie

I know, I know.

I went looking for a really silly captioned picture to go with the octopi...  But I have this one-track search mind.  All I could find was cats.  Well, mostly...

Beware the Octopussy Coconut Mafia!

Frost

yeah i remember reading that in the newspaper, very clever lil things

The Exiled

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing that some animals are getting clever. They're so much smarter than some people give them credit.

Callie Del Noire

We're done...

if.. Cats ever figure out can openers.

Sabby

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 03, 2010, 09:58:47 AM
We're done...

if.. Cats ever figure out can openers.

Oh yeah, because they haven't already conquered us xD

Oniya

The Exiled

We're in trouble if cats fire us as their staff.

Oniya

This is why I'm perfecting my ear-skritching skills.

Callie Del Noire

Opposable thumbs, the only reason our Cat overlords haven't done away with us..yet.