Shadowrun 3rd ed game

Started by GoldenChild, May 16, 2006, 07:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenChild

How big interest are there in a Shadowrun 3rd ed game?

Swedish Steel

I love Shadowrun personally,no matter wich edition.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

kasen03

I absolutely love Shadowrun.. although I've seen games here before in the past that jaded me. 

It also really depends if you're going rules heavy or rules lite.  The nature of play by post really hinders a rules-heavy game.. like SR or SpaceMaster.

Plus..lots of differnet people have different 'power levels' in mind.. the characters I saw proposed .. well.. as a GM I'd never have allowed :D  But I like to play the grittier 'starting out shadowrunners against the world' not the 'elite combat force who could take on mega-corps or small nations in their own backyard'

I'm most familiar with 2nd and 3rd edition.

Say..anyone notice how car's nowadays are looking more and more like Shadowrun cars? 

GoldenChild

My idea of the game is "back-to-basic", which doesn't put you in a situation what forces you to safe the world... give you food for the day mayby but that would be it.

Trolls is btw not allowed.
How decking will be handled is a future problem (depends if anyone wants to play one or not).

Swedish Steel

Yeah, Shadowrun games do have a tendancy to never get of the ground. That being said, I actually think I'd prefer to give the 4th edition a try, it seems to me that most of the rules are very well thought out, even though my starting characters end up a lot less powerfull than I'm used to.

On Off page:

GoldenChild

So would I but I don't know 4th ed rules good enough to GM them...

ZK

I'll be running my 4th Edition once I get my life straighted out. >.<
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Swedish Steel

Neat, I was hoping you hadn't put it on ice.

On Off page:

GoldenChild

Quote from: Z.K. on May 16, 2006, 11:50:53 AM
I'll be running my 4th Edition once I get my life straighted out. >.<

And I will be there playing as soon as you do.

Muse

I still have some old third edition charecters floating around that I never got to play.  What do you see as the pace of the game? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Ah, 3rd edition Shadowrun, also known as "Willpower 6+ or mages will eat you."

Quote from: GoldenChild on May 16, 2006, 08:12:28 AM
Trolls is btw not allowed.

...I think I'll be sitting this one out, in that case.  It's just not the same without trolls.

GoldenChild

Quote from: Muse on May 16, 2006, 06:48:00 PM
What do you see as the pace of the game? 

The pace is always a problem in a online shadowrun game, one of the biggest causes of lagging is when the players are waiting for each other in different realms; lets say the decker wants to check something out and in the mean time the rest of the players just sits and wait. Normally I solve this by having the team managing matrix affairs through contacts or letting the game flow in two timelines, one where the decker do what he do and one where the game just continues as if he was done.
Shadowrun is meant to be a fast, action filled game where the bullets and spells are flying. I don’t like super-maxing characters as a character needs to have some reason to be what he or she is. I play a back to the basic game which means that your problem is normal one, don’t expect you to be forced to save the world or such.

Quote from: Jefepato on May 16, 2006, 07:59:53 PM
It's just not the same without trolls.

The reason I don't allow trolls are that they are just to unbalanced to be allowed.

GoldenChild

Quote from: Jefepato on May 16, 2006, 07:59:53 PM
Ah, 3rd edition Shadowrun, also known as "Willpower 6+ or mages will eat you."

I agree on the one... but consider mages a rare kind and the only time you will face one he will be on your side (as long as you don't do anything stupid of course).

Swedish Steel

When have Shadowrunners ever not done anything stupid?  :)

On Off page:

GoldenChild

Well, it is a trademark of the Shadowrunners so... but then, that is the fun part ;)

Jefepato

Quote from: GoldenChild on May 16, 2006, 11:30:06 PM
The reason I don't allow trolls are that they are just to unbalanced to be allowed.

As GM, you're of course able to disallow whatever you wish.

But honestly?  Trolls are unbalanced (frightfully), but no more so than a lot of things in Shadowrun.  They just happen to be more obvious, because they're a core race.

Hunter

I'll bite.  I wouldn't mind a shadowrun 3rd game.

GoldenChild

If my math isn't totally wrong that would make four players; Swedish Steel, kasen03, Muse and Hunter...

Which causes me to run after the goddesses for a board... will be right back...

GoldenChild

kasen03

I'm still not getting that 'Trolls are unbalanced' thing.

What I think are most PLAYERS are unbalanced..it's the GM's role to keep the /game/ balanced.  And..like Magi.. Trolls are the exception of the world.. they are the minority.. which would mean troll's who have overcome the racial predudices (sp?) to get a nice corp job all wired up for covert ops should be VERY VERY rare.

And..much like magic users in D&D.. a troll may be tough..but they paint a HUGE target to draw fire.  And if any party did even a mediocrium of planning..they'd know what they are going up against and bring along a couple RPG's or grenades to take care of the trolls.

I'll look into the game..but I have serious issues with the 'power level' that was played here at another SR game that was set up.

GoldenChild

I will say as much... I normally outlaw trolls but if you can show me a troll that isn't unbalancing sure why not (I did have a player that played a troll librarian once). I try to make a habit of never say never.

As for power level… I don’t like power characters really but such character won’t be accepted either in my game. And for those that what wonder what I count as a power character consider the following:

A heavily cybered troll with armed with a dicote coated combat axe with all skills and attributes aimed for combat.

A character must know more then combat and its skills should reflect what he has been doing all his life. I consider a skill rating of 3 to be a good value and 6 is freaking master level. Higher then that and we are talking world champion.

Swedish Steel

Yeah, I'm interested, but I'm also getting closer to alot of exams, so it's crunch time for me. As long as it isn't to quick a pace I think I can manage it.

On Off page:

Hunter

I'm also near finals (next week) but I'll get back to you afterwords.

GoldenChild

Don't rush it, as always IRL goes first :)

kasen03

Goldenchild..I like your outlook.

I've not been as quick responding..either here or the Star Frontiers thread because of a small bout of RL that I've been trying to fight.

Having said that.. I am looking at making a Rigger..that's my current bent.  How are they going to turn out.. not quite sure yet.. I've had some interesting character types in the past..maybe try that..or try something utterly new.

What are the generation limits?  Are you imposing the availibity limit of 6? (I think that's the base rules)

I like your ruling on the skill maxes.