You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 12:09:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Obama kicks hundreds of lobbyists off advisory panels  (Read 937 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Obama kicks hundreds of lobbyists off advisory panels
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:29:35 AM »
He's been doing a lot of this all quiet-like.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of lobbyists are likely to be ejected from federal advisory panels as part of a little-noticed initiative by the Obama administration to curb K Street's influence in Washington, according to White House officials and lobbying experts.

The new policy -- issued with little fanfare this fall by the White House ethics counsel -- may turn out to be the most far-reaching lobbying rule change so far from President Obama, who also has sought to restrict the ability of lobbyists to get jobs in his administration and to negotiate over stimulus contracts.

The initiative is aimed at a system of advisory committees so vast that federal officials don't have exact numbers for its size; the most recent estimates tally nearly 1,000 panels with total membership exceeding 60,000 people.

Under the policy, which is being phased in over the coming months, none of the more than 13,000 lobbyists in Washington would be able to hold seats on the committees, which advise agencies on trade rules, troop levels, environmental regulations, consumer protections and thousands of other government policies.

Naturally, some aren't very happy about the move. I can only hope this is a step towards culling the shitguzzlers from Congress entirely.

Offline Avi

• I'll show you how to soar.
  • On Hiatus
  • Enchanter
  • Flying by the seat of his pants...
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Obama kicks hundreds of lobbyists off advisory panels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:27:24 AM »
Frankly, lobbyists have gotten a bad rap in politics.  While I'm glad to see them getting kicked off advisory panels because, frankly, they have no right to directly influence policy, they still have the right to give their opinions.  Maybe there's some kind of middle-ground that can be achieved?

Offline Talia

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »
Yes, they can do it like the rest of the public. Take it up with your elected official and such. I'm not going to rant....but soooo want to.

It's diffidently a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:51:29 AM by Laurrel »

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
I think it's a good step. Lobbyists have WAY to much power right now. Look at the stuff that the copyright lobbyists have pulled. And then there are the folks to manipulate policy strictly for the benefit of their clients.

I wonder how many 'special laws', earmarks and so on are the result of folks on special committees and such that are residents of K street Lobbyist groups. I wonder how many folks do five or six years on the hill (or at the white house) with the idea of getting out and getting that lovely 100k+/year job pimping some special interest.

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
Yes, they can do it like the rest of the public.

Hear, hear! Everyone should have an equal right and opportunity to make their voices heard.

Offline Revolverman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Nice one Obama. Glad to see that change wasn't just a catchphrase.

Offline Kotah

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
This may keep some fingers out of the apple pie, but I don't think it's going to change much. I think what is going to happen is the low-funded lobbyists that aren't main stream (and mean for a lot more good) are going to be lost while high-funded lobbyists are going to buy there way in.

Offline auroraChloe

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
Frankly, lobbyists have gotten a bad rap in politics.    <snip>   they still have the right to give their opinions.   

i don't see lobbyists as giving opinions, in fact they probably keep their honest opinions to them selves.  a lobbyist is a paid marketing professional.

Watch 'Thank You for Smoking'.  funny movie and really opened my eyes to how the systems 'works'

Offline VekseidTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »
This may keep some fingers out of the apple pie, but I don't think it's going to change much. I think what is going to happen is the low-funded lobbyists that aren't main stream (and mean for a lot more good) are going to be lost while high-funded lobbyists are going to buy there way in.

This actually has a lot to do with how Obama intends to cut federal costs. These lobbyists are a big part of why federal programs cost so much.

Ideally, they'd be removed from Congress as well. We would want to increase the congressional staff budget - but I'm quite fine with that as an idea.