[Blog Series]Miss Marguerite & The City - Day 101

Started by Marguerite, November 26, 2009, 05:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marguerite

November 25th [101] - Thanksgiving Is Always A Good Thanks

Turkey Day is tomorrow and I am excited to sink my teeth into a succulent turkey and pumpkin pie. I am not much of a fan of anything else but the turkey and pie. As the years have gone by, my tastes in foods has changed and morphed to dislike certain items beyond belief and love other items with all of my heart. Last year, I did not eat much of what was brought to the Thanksgiving dinner since most of the food does not appeal to my palate but I do thank the familia members for bringing it. This year, I will eat some of the turkey, pumpkin pie, pineapple ham, apple cider and chicken sandwiches Maja and lil' Mar-Mar make for special occasions.

Ever since I moved to San Francisco, I have made an effort to visit the familia. They are my roots, the branches which keeps this trunk of mine swinging with the wind and against the rain. Hell, most of the money which went towards the SAT scores, the application fees and the deposit on the house in San Francisco and gas money comes from the help of the familia. Since I have started to work part-time with a vanilla job and with my clients, I have paid back their help in full and plan to treat them to presents for Christmas and their birthdays. I find myself lucky to be born into a familia which sticks together through the good and bad times. Sometimes the bad times might make us go for each other's jugular but in the end familia is familia is familia.

The whole familia will be over at Maja's house for the holiday. I have been told ahead of schedule not to go into the kitchen because I have no cooking or baking gene. They are scared I might set the Turkey on fire if I get too close to it and stare at the gobbler for too long. It was not my fault a few years back the bowl of yams broke while I took it to the table. The bowl already had a crack in it and the yams was too much pressure that it broke in my hands. I ended up with yams on my hands and had to change clothes because I was smart enough to use my nice dress shirt as a napkin to wipe off the yam.

Since the incident, I have been asked to stay out of the kitchen and I have no problem with that at all as long as I get to eat later when the guests come over. This year, I think there will be a lot to talk about since I have moved to San Francisco, my aunt with her surgery to remove some of the calcium build up in one of her knees and some skeletons itching to come out to dance for all of us. I know what those skeletons are and ready to face them considering my cousin wants to talk about her miscarriage and what everyone thinks on the matter. We each had our own emotions and some have kept it under lock and key. I have noticed with some family members they choose not to say anything because the emotion is too great and it usually comes out in anger or perhaps even hysterics. One such relative broke into tears and hyperventilated that a family member made the first put their head between their knees and breath through a paper bag.

The familia can get a bit emotional and Thanksgiving usually brings it out once we get food and drink at the same time and in one room. Right now, I have money on my Uncle starting a fight with one of his daughters because he did not get a bigger turkey leg while a cousin arrives to the dinner high as a kite. The day the familia turns itself into Leave It To Beavers is the day I morph into a kitten. Not about to happen. Happy Early Thanksgiving to all.

Miss Marguerite & The City

P.S. I love comments.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You